I don't know how many of you use Powertab but...

Pretty much the entire database is still available at ultimate-guitar.com. I believe a few download sites were also made when it first got shutdown that had the entire database for download. I'm not sure where to find those though...

Cool! Although, I still think that was a VERY stupid move by the MPA. What where they trying to accomplish with this? Now the whole archive will now just appear in other places.:err:

Ehh I like Guitar Pro better anyhow, but I still don't understand the logic of tabs infringing copyright...who in their right mind would take listening to MIDI of powertab over a recording? And people playing a band's songs can only be a good thing as far as keeping the fans entertained and publicity.

No, the MPA relates to tab-books, sheets and so on.
They claim nobody can legally make a tab by ear and share it on the Internet, because they only own the copyrights for transcriptions.

Maybe one day even singing a song during a shower or playing guitar on the beach will be considered copyright infringment. They're pathetic.

No, the MPA relates to tab-books, sheets and so on.
They claim nobody can legally make a tab by ear and share it on the Internet, because they only own the copyrights for transcriptions.

Maybe one day even singing a song during a shower or playing guitar on the beach will be considered copyright infringment. They're pathetic.

Did you know you can get sued for playing music on the radio too loud?

http://techdirt.com/articles/20071005/094552.shtml

I suppose suing people who play guitar in public will be the next logical step.:mad:

:lol::lol: lol

I just read one of the comments on that radio copyright infringement article and some guy said "If you fart and someone smells it, are they violating your butt?"

hahahaha :lol:

You'd think copyright laws would be getting toned down with this new trend of internet streaming and free music, but no. They're really gonna ride that horse until it drops.

Its more beneficial to work songs out by ear anyway.

+1000

That being said, I still vehemently disagree with the site being shut down. It will yield one of two (or both) positive results though. It'll either thin the heard, or it'll force guitar players to start using their ears and transcribing more, which would be very beneficial. Both are good things. People don't transcribe nearly enough anymore. I'm not the least bit embarassed to admit to using internet tabs at times. It makes it a bit easier when I've got a lot of shit to learn and no time to do it.

+1000

That being said, I still vehemently disagree with the site being shut down. It will yield one of two (or both) positive results though. It'll either thin the heard, or it'll force guitar players to start using their ears and transcribing more, which would be very beneficial. Both are good things. People don't transcribe nearly enough anymore. I'm not the least bit embarassed to admit to using internet tabs at times. It makes it a bit easier when I've got a lot of shit to learn and no time to do it.

Yeah. I feel sorry for the noobs who hardly know how to read a tab though. Stuff like this is alright for us who can tab ourselves or play by ear..... but for them....

I think people would be less inclined to learn guitar if there were less resources on the internet.

When I started to play guitar about 8 years ago Guitar Pro was a new software, if I remember correctly version 2.0 had come out. I miss the times when there was basically only ASCII-tabs available. It was funny to see early players to play straight from the tabs without actually thinking what song they are playing. Guitar Pro kind of helped people to realize how incorrect 95% of all tabs out there were.

I don't really read others tabs anymore since the only songs I play are either my own or by Symphony X. Nevertheless, I use Guitar Pro for composing, it's a handy tool for that.

I've never got gp to work for me, because as soon as I tab stuff out it loses almost everything its about. For example, I throw in a riff so that I can add drums..... but once I play back the riff I feel uninspired because it has no feeling to it, and hence I can't work with it any further. :(