I dont know what my problem is......HELP!!!!!

Have you tried it in a quick mix with drums and bass yet?

Important stuff!

Sometimes, I try to get a good guitar tone with just the guitar and nothing else playing, and when I think I have a killer tone I do a test with a fast mix and it's complete shit.

What I've discovered is that the tones that do not sound so pretty and "produced", often work better in the mix and therefore sounds better produced than the pretty and "produced" version... I'm getting dizzy, fuck this :D

But yea, in short, don't underestimate a guitar tone, try it in a mix before discarding it.

Well have you ever mic'ed a JSX dude? The EQ on it is RIDICULOUSLY powerful, and the highs are ear-shredding above 6 (meaning they're just right at around 5). Besides, I don't think more highs (or less mids) is gonna alleviate "a really fizzy thin sounding tone"...

And Neb, do you have any clips of your JSX? I'd be interested to hear what you were able to coax out of it!

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/387793-jsx-el34-vs-6l6-showdown.html

Not 100% satisfied, honestly, but it was the most usable tone I'd gotten - all of them that is. Even the ones with the stock tubes and no bias were tons better than what I'd previously gotten. It was light and day when I first put the mic up to the cab. I believe I only moved the mic once or twice. When the mic first went up it was the same old plastic highend and really unbalanced, then afew millimetres later it was these. Still abit unbalanced, but quite maliable and still retains the sound I got in the room.

The JSX unfortunately doesn't do much for me when mic'ed up. Sometimes in the room it fools me into thinking the tone is quite cool, usable and unique. Then I toy with a Recto and that shit sets me straight again...

The JSX always seems to have a hollowness and fizz to it. Just seems to be the way that it's voiced. Not very record-friendly. There was a phase on here when everyone was blowing nuts over them and saying how much they smoked 5150s, but I'm glad that's over.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/387793-jsx-el34-vs-6l6-showdown.html

Not 100% satisfied, honestly, but it was the most usable tone I'd gotten - all of them that is. Even the ones with the stock tubes and no bias were tons better than what I'd previously gotten. It was light and day when I first put the mic up to the cab. I believe I only moved the mic once or twice. When the mic first went up it was the same old plastic highend and really unbalanced, then afew millimetres later it was these. Still abit unbalanced, but quite maliable and still retains the sound I got in the room.

Hey Dan, just now getting around to listening to these - quite good man, definitely better than I was ever able to get out of mine! Still not anywhere near 5150 territory though, IMO, but I'm impressed (and definitely prefer the EL34's, they make it seem fuller to me).

Thanks dude. I guess the ELs should sound better there, since the initial tone was based on those. The amp settings didn't change for any of the clips. I much prefer the 6L6s with the mids brought back in, because they're now in the range that I want them to be in.

I will agree that the 5150 will always remain THE 5150, but for me the versatility of the JSX wins for now.

PS, I just realised how much slop I allowed into those clips haha. I really need some decent isolated tracking headphones!