I don't like rap metal........ except

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I ummmm...... just don't tolerate rap metal very well. I am sure most are like me, but I am curious if anyone here has given a good listen to Rage against the Machine ? This band has super intelligent lyrics and intelligent angst. I don't listen to them often at all, but one of the "name the band" game posts made me think about them.

Bryant

Never been a fan though I know their most popular songs. I can actually enjoy Killing In The Name Of when being played at a party but I probably woulnd't play it at home. I like the Rap-related stuff Anthrax did back in their Belladonna-era and even a few pure Rap songs. It's Tricky by Run DMC and Colors by Ice-T for example. But overall those are just exceptions. I'll stick with my Metal, narrow-minded or not.

y'know. just three years ago, Rage Against The Machine were one of my most listened to bands. I loved them all through my sophomore year of high school and part of my freshman year. I just listened to them so damn much, i ruined them for myself. I just got really, really tired of them. So, i haven't listened to them in at least three years, but yes, there was a time where i really liked them, with no shame. Despite their political message, that i, for the most part, disagree with.

Bryant said:
I ummmm...... just don't tolerate rap metal very well. I am sure most are like me, but I am curious if anyone here has given a good listen to Rage against the Machine ? This band has super intelligent lyrics and intelligent angst. I don't listen to them often at all, but one of the "name the band" game posts made me think about them.

Bryant

I dont listen to them very much at all never really have but I will say their first album is great for what it is they had a very unique sound and the guitar player is actually very talanted if you wanted to actually listen to more get the first album its the only one you will ever need I belive its self Titled

I can't stand RATM or Body Count, still I like Stuck Mojo a lot.
Their frontman raps but in a very agressive almost extreme way, and the riffs are damn heavy, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I liked it.

Rage wasn't metal at all... well atleast I never thought so... but I was a fan of theirs. They were more like rap/rock... but then again... what makes a genre of music... the vocals or the music?

RATM were a killer band to start out with, the first album is a classic must own in my opinion. They went down hill fast after that though. They kinda satrted all of that rap metal stuff.... however none of the bands that copied them ever came close to being as good as they were. I saw them live on the tour for the first album, didn't know anything about them until that show and they blew me away!!! Was a big fan for a year or 2.

Fangface said:
I can't stand RATM or Body Count, still I like Stuck Mojo a lot.
Their frontman raps but in a very agressive almost extreme way, and the riffs are damn heavy, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I liked it.
Disagree a bit on Body Count there Fang....Cop Killer period that is. Saw them live then and they put up a hell of a heavy show !! Don't know 'bout after that album though ...

I loved the first rage album, I think what turned me off was their over the top political garbage. Their first record kicks ass, as for rap? Well, there are a few select artists that I like, but to be honest their prime stuff is from the past, Ice T, Ice Cube, Beastie Boys, ect.

I've really never been a fan of them. I listened to some rap a while back but it was the good stuff like Ice-T, 2 Live Crew, and Run DMC. I can still listen to those rap albums today but I just have to be in the right mood.

carnut said:
Disagree a bit on Body Count there Fang....Cop Killer period that is. Saw them live then and they put up a hell of a heavy show !! Don't know 'bout after that album though ...
Ok, maybe I've heard the bad songs then ;)

Fangface said:
Ok, maybe I've heard the bad songs then ;)
Yeah, try the Cop Killer CD once, it isn't much (c)rap, it kinda hit me more like SOD, more crossover punk-metal than rap-metal....

ratm's first album is a real classic.its one of those era defining ones for me,like master of puppets or burn my eyes.
de la rocha's vocals are excellent,but his politics leave me cold-for me music should be more emotion and less statement,but thats just me.

nice to see the rest of the band still playing with god,eerrr i mean chris cornell.

body count?ice-t should have stuck to what he knew best.heard that first album-all i can say to it is-take that motherfucker back to south central with you tracey.

their 1st album is alright, but I hate their lyrics. So cliche of what a hippie demonstrator would say. I dont listen to them cause I feel they are just a weak death angel.

I'm not a rap fan. I only heard a few songs by RATM.....but I did hang out at their message board before it was closed down.

The saYer said:
their 1st album is alright, but I hate their lyrics. So cliche of what a hippie demonstrator would say. I dont listen to them cause I feel they are just a weak death angel.

That's the advantage of living here in Europe, we listen to music in whole and not particulary text only, as English is not or first language (except for the Britains). I do understand but mostly let the meaning of texts pass by me and listen to the song's "sound" as I hear it. As far as RATM concerns, it sounded nice in the beginning, quit some "heavy" songs, but bored me after a while. Believe Audioslave is with some of their members, that sound much more solid to me...
I allways wonder how stupid some texts sound when you are English speaking, and directly are confronted with the text. On the other hand, all popular music is spoken English so you are used to it. Like for me, most Dutch spoken music is bad...and in metal only one Dutch singing band ever had some decent material, that was Vandale from Holland, a very good solid band and texts were very good (bout unemployment, war and stuff). But I cannot imagine Dutch lyrics singing about the devil and hell ... would sound pretty stupid...hum, hope I make a point here....

carnut said:
I allways wonder how stupid some texts sound when you are English speaking, and directly are confronted with the text. On the other hand, all popular music is spoken English so you are used to it. Like for me, most Dutch spoken music is bad...and in metal only one Dutch singing band ever had some decent material, that was Vandale from Holland, a very good solid band and texts were very good (bout unemployment, war and stuff). But I cannot imagine Dutch lyrics singing about the devil and hell ... would sound pretty stupid...hum, hope I make a point here....
I have no problem with hearing Metal sung in my own language, usually people don't like that though, as it often sounds childish to them, compared to the "sacred" English.
Even when lyrics have the same meaning, go figure...