I found a console today...

monolithsound

Aug 11, 2009
New England
www.monolithsound.com
I am in the process of demolition/construction/moving my studio into what used to be the home of a local radio station. While cleaning out a small storage room I discovered this:

p_00101.jpg

It's a Ward-Beck broadcast console. 3 mic preamps and 7 line level channels. Unfortunately, the power supply is nowhere to be found. My EE friend, who also owns a Ward-Beck console is going to help me restore it and build a new power supply.

If the board needs more work than it's worth, I'm going to at least rack the 3 preamps, Averill-style.

This made my day.

Congrats man and welcome to recaping hell:lol:

Look good but haven't soo many option comparing too an Amek classic (for stay with broadcast console) for exemple. But if you like this beast sound, why not;)

I plan myself to make the switch with a Soundtrack 48/32IL or a Trident :D

Congrats man and welcome to recaping hell:lol:

Look good but haven't soo many option comparing too an Amek classic (for stay with broadcast console) for exemple. But if you like this beast sound, why not;)

I plan myself to make the switch with a Soundtrack 48/32IL or a Trident :D

Yeah, recapping isn't going to be fun.

You're right about the board being fairly limited with routing, but the beauty of a modular console like this is being able to adapt it to my needs. I'll probably end up buying another line input channel so that I can use this to sum 8 inputs to a stereo mix. I'd end up paying over a grand for something like a Dangerous 2-Bus to do the same thing with. Plus, having a console in my control room adds some cool factor.

Thanks dudes!

It's on Lake St. in Nashua. You should come check it out when I'm done with construction.

Yeah I was gonna say that. I mean, I suppose we are each other's competition, but we can still be friendly, eh?

I still am kinda dumbfounded that I ran into other southern NH dudes on this forum haha.

[UEAK]Clowd;8917817 said:
Yeah I was gonna say that. I mean, I suppose we are each other's competition, but we can still be friendly, eh?

I still am kinda dumbfounded that I ran into other southern NH dudes on this forum haha.

Eh, I don't really see it as competition. Recording music isn't my livelihood, so as long as I get enough work to pay the rent, I'm happy.

You're welcome to come by anytime.

Eh, I don't really see it as competition. Recording music isn't my livelihood, so as long as I get enough work to pay the rent, I'm happy.

You're welcome to come by anytime.

awesome, can't wait to see it. if you need a hand with construction let me know.

Yeah, recapping isn't going to be fun.

You're right about the board being fairly limited with routing, but the beauty of a modular console like this is being able to adapt it to my needs. I'll probably end up buying another line input channel so that I can use this to sum 8 inputs to a stereo mix. I'd end up paying over a grand for something like a Dangerous 2-Bus to do the same thing with. Plus, having a console in my control room adds some cool factor.

Good, you know what you have and you know what you want... Agree with Dangerous 2bus. Your new console look more sexy imo

Massive bump but just to know, how this project turned out?
The console work actualy? How long was the recap?

Massive bump but just to know, how this project turned out?
The console work actualy? How long was the recap?

I decided not to refurb the console as that I won't have time to touch it for who knows how long because of the work involved in building the studio.

I pulled all the modules from the board and sold all the stereo inputs, switchers, headphone amps, master module, etc. I kept the 3 mic pre modules. The mic preamps are the real deal....Hammond transformers, Penny and Giles 100mm faders and sockets for all the IC's. With the money I got from parting out the console, I bought a power supply and materials to build a nice maple box to house the preamps in.

So, end of story, I got 3 killer mic preamps in a beautiful enclosure and a few hundred bucks in my pocket out of the deal.

I decided not to refurb the console as that I won't have time to touch it for who knows how long because of the work involved in building the studio.

I pulled all the modules from the board and sold all the stereo inputs, switchers, headphone amps, master module, etc. I kept the 3 mic pre modules. The mic preamps are the real deal....Hammond transformers, Penny and Giles 100mm faders and sockets for all the IC's. With the money I got from parting out the console, I bought a power supply and materials to build a nice maple box to house the preamps in.

So, end of story, I got 3 killer mic preamps in a beautiful enclosure and a few hundred bucks in my pocket out of the deal.

Sidecar is one of the most appropriate solutions, great choice;)
And remember, post pics when when everything is finish please