I had never heard November's Doom before tonight...

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
...but I got their new album today (promo copy sent to my radio station by Dark Symphonies)... and it's awesome... what a great new discovery for me! Brilliant material! You guys rule!

Hey ProgMetalFan,

Better late than never. I was pretty slow myself. I first learned of these guys about a year ago. I read something in a mag about them, saw "The Knowing" at, say it with me, The Exclusive Company, and picked it up. Now, there aren't a whole lot of cds that catch me on the first listen, but that was definitely one of them.

Originally posted by FrostGiant
GO BADGERS!

DIE WISCONSIN SCUM!

GO WILDCATS!!!

logo_nort.gif

2002 Wildcats Football Schedule
Sat 08/31/2002 Air Force Colorado Springs, Colo. ABC (Regional) 11 a.m. CDT
Sat 09/07/2002 TCU Evanston, Ill. Noon CDT
Sat 09/14/2002 Duke Evanston, Ill. Noon CDT
Sat 09/21/2002 Navy Annapolis, Md. 11 a.m. CDT
Sat 09/28/2002 Michigan State East Lansing, Mich.
Sat 10/05/2002 Ohio State Evanston, Ill. ESPN2 6 p.m. CDT
Sat 10/12/2002 Minnesota Minneapolis, Minn. 1:30 p.m. CDT
Sat 10/19/2002 Penn State State College, Pa. TBA 11 a.m. CDT
Sat 10/26/2002 Purdue (HC) Evanston, Ill. TBA 11 a.m. CDT
Sat 11/02/2002 Indiana Evanston, Ill. TBA
Sat 11/09/2002 Iowa Iowa City, Iowa TBA
Sat 11/23/2002 Illinois Evanston, Ill. TBA

Yeah, NU didn't play Wisconsin last year either. I'm kind of surprised they don't play them 2 yrs in a row; usually I'd think it's only one year at a time.
I always love playing Michigan- usually it's a pretty close low scoring game (in recent years anyway), but there's always the chance that Michigan will just stomp all over the Cats. NU's not exactly what you'd call a "consistent" team. But I have to support the Alma Mater. You understand, right?

I can't WAIT for College Football season. Not long now. Even if we don't win any games (like they almost did last year, harrumph), it's still a great time.

I'm suprised you didn't bring up that other one (I think the was Northwestern anyway). You know, the fumble? Actually, I shouldn't even talk about that. Bad karma.
Which one was that? I have to look it up now... but don't fear, because I have absolutely NO ROOM to rub anyone's nose in anything when it comes to football. The Wildcats have had what, 50-60 years or so of bad records?

Late TD Shocks the Badgers
Wildcats 34
Wisconsin 30

Despite losing star running back Darnell Autry early in the game, Northwestern pulled off another last-minute comeback with a thrilling 34-30 win over Wisconsin.

The Badgers got on the board early when Northwestern snapped the ball over punter Paul Burton's head and the Badgers jumped on it in the end zone for a 7-0 lead. Autry tied it at 7-7 with a 20-yard run and D'Wayne Bates made it 14-13 NU at the half with a 12-yard touchdown reception. Adrian Autry, filling in for the injured Darnell, put NU back on top, 20-16, with a 14-yard TD run. Wisconsin fought right back and scored to go up 23-20. Steve Schnur then threw an interception on NU's next play and Wisconsin converted to make the score 30-20. Autry added his second TD to cut the lead to 30-27. Trying to run out the clock with under a minute left, Wisconsin fumbled and NU recovered. A Schnur 21-yard scramble and a 20-yard TD reception by Bates gave NU the win.

the other 3 years I looked at, NU lost

That'd be the one. 45 seconds left and Ron Dayne fumbled. For years, toward the end of the games we'd all chant "Take a knee"
LOL No shit? NU always had those chants that tried to make themselves feel better when the team wasn't winning. Like "That's alright, that's okay, you'll be working for us someday."

Talk about pretentious. I hated that about that school. I think I like watching the football team for the same reason Chicagoans keep watching the Cubs- it's an accident waiting to happen. But sometimes they actually do pretty well. I was there during the Barnett years- my sophomore year, NU went to the Rose Bowl and Chuck Heston parted the sea at Disneyland- or whatever that publicity thing was. I did the NU marching band freshman year, didn't care for it, quit, and the very next year the whole band went to California for the Rose Bowl. What a dumb move that was on my part.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan

I shall attending this donnybrook.

OK, is it just me or does the Nittany Lion mascot look really sad? It looks like an anemic brown rat. But I think that may have to do more with tradition than anything. And they're usually a hell of a team, so the mascot definitely does not speak for the team's abilities.
mascot.jpg

The NU Wildcat ('Willie') used to look really cool, but now he looks all cartoony with big eyes.

GAY:
willie.jpg

NOT GAY (except the shorts are kind of stupid, but he didn't wear those usually):
williefb.jpg

Bucky aint any better. A big dumb head on shoulder pads. It was really cool when Bucky and the band dislocated Purdue Pete's shoulder though. Pete had to get the head cut off at the hospital.

I could have never done that marching band crap though. First of all, I quit playing the sax in 8th grade. Can't really be in a marching band playing a guitar. And secondly, there was way too much work involved. I used to see band memebers practicing their marching in the park during summer. That's just way too much work.

Yeah, Pete looks a little maniacal with that hammer. I'm sure he deserved it.
pete-250w.jpg

The Spartan mascot kills me- he's got no neck and looks like he's ready to beat some ass, even if he can't turn his head to see them.
mascot-c.jpg

Yeah, the marching band was a bit of work. Not too bad in high school- we only took it serious enough to get stuff done, and the rest was all fun and being stupid. The NU band was way more serious, though, and took a bit of the fun out of it. We went to George Williams campground up at Lake Geneva for a week to do drills and learn music and shit. That was okay, except for every morning at the crack of dawn when those annoying Grad Students would run through the dorms (which were just crappy cabins with cots) yelling "WAKEY WAKEY!!!"

We did get to do the Hustle every day, though. I probably would've enjoyed it better if I had switched to sax instead of playing clarinet. Those were some annoying people.

GO BADGERS!

Nice avatar. I'll probably change mine once football season opens, although I may have to change it to the St Louis Blues shortly after, because my hockey addiction conflicts with my Northwestern Football addiction.

BTW, my 5 yr reunion from college meets this homecoming. My sister's 10 yr reunion meets this yr too. If they lose, I'll have to drink more to enjoy it.