I HAVE IT

I could have sworn my reply posted this morning at home...get to work and it's not here... hmm..

Anyway, thanks for the words guys!

Unavoidable: Thanks, just Gibson Explorer with stock gibbo pups and in D standard -> HM-2 -> 8Pre -> Catharsis s_highpres impulse. No HP/LP, just a notch at 700 and a wide boost from 2300-4500 by about 1.5dB or so to get some presence.

Hahaha ... HM-2 Rules!!! I bought mine after reading Ekeroth's (sp?) "Swedish Death Metal" book... I started listening to my old nihilist, grave, therion, etc. demos again (actually that book should come with a HM-2 as a bonus) and I got hooked.

The best 20$ spent in my life.

Here there's some demo I did with a friend ... a joke project ... spanglish st00pid lyrics about some drunk/abducted guy... don't try to understand them anyway.. the style is not 100% old school swedish death metal (actually it has some voivodish part in the middle to fit the outer space vibe of the song :) ), but the HM-2 flavour is there.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=686993&songID=7700554

Cheers!:headbang:

For my clip, I played two dry guitar tracks, one left and one right. I bastardized it from there to have my HM-2 be the lows and mids for most of the tone, and Juicy 77 for the top end.

Each clip was then doubled, so two of the same guitar track left and two of the same guitar track right. The first clip was TSS -> Juicy 77 (with a lot of mid and low erased) -> KeFIR with one of my Sputnik/9100A impulses from AEmpulses. I used Nebula to EQ a little. The second clip came out the PC, into a Radial X-Amp, into the HM-2, and back into the PC. I just applied an AEmpulses C214/9100A thinger, and used Nebula to tweak a little bit.

So, HM-2 is the mass, and Juicy77 is the clarity.

Do you have made in Japan or made in Taiwan models?? Are there any differences beetween these ones?

Hmm, one is supposedly better than the other, though I can't remember which is which. I have a Taiwan made though!

Also, I have written/recorded a kickass song with it, and got some killer tones out of it, using my SansAmp to do some tone shaping before the impulse. I'll post it as soon as I feel like doing some vocals.

Pretty sure if one was gonna be better it'd be the Japan, but it also smells of forum-fueled pedal mojo BS to me! (paging Jeff :lol: )

I had 2 of them ... both made in Taiwan.

Both sound slightly different, being one (let's call it A) deeper and bigger sounding than the other (B). Not a HUUUGe difference, but still noticeable for any guitar player. (B) sounded a bit flatter, more "nasal" and not as 3D as (A).

Searching on the web (www.bossarea.com) I found some gut pics of the pedals, and I noticed that all the Japan ones had green caps; while taiwan ones had orange or gray caps.

So I opened both and found that (A) had green caps (to my surprise), while (B) had gray caps, so I tend to believe (A) could be an earlier taiwanese made pedal with japan specs (I am purely speculating, but the difference in sound kinda fits with my theory).

At the end I sold (B) and kept (A), but I guess either of them would give you that instant Stockholm sound.

BTW, in that forum (bossarea) you can learn how to difference between MIJ and MIT HM-2 ... it has something to do with the "Heavy Metal" lettering in the pedal.

Cheers!
Igor

I'm gonna spread some forum fueled bs right here! I used some creative licensing on my old mans boss collection and found a beat up taiwan hm2, and a one mint japan in the box hm2! Jap really does sound better into the clean of the jsx. Its a more friendly grind...trying to say less harsh, but its still a hm2 :lol: Bossarea has the differences, but theres still no one version of any model of boss pedal I rekon, they tend to vary over the life of the unit. This jap one has an early serial and the big juicy caps though.