I haz a question

Traxan

Mar 10, 2012
So, three songs into this album, is anyone else not missing Nevermore any more? At this point, I feel like Warrel should just let Nevermore lie and continue with Sanctuary for as long as it has legs rather than a one-off reunion, which is how this has been billed.

I don't see why he has to choose between them, but at this point I would definitely give Sanctuary the priority and let NM take the back seat. The other two left to play shredcore and instrumental guitar god albums in an attempt to show their ass to the rest of the band, only it backfired with dismal receptions and sales. Nevermore wasn't Metallica; there is no James Hetfield telling Jason Newsted that he can't do a side project, and if he does he'll be fired. They took it upon themselves to leave behind a great band with their delusions of grandeur, so at this point it doesn't really matter anyway. Also, Loomis' riffs on his solo project were better than the last NM album, which begs the question whether or not he gave a shit about NM in the last couple of years in the band due to the disappointing Obsidian Conspiracy.

I just listened to the new Sanctuary and it's head and shoulders above anything since EoR. Warrel is 2 for 2 now. If the other two were smart, they'd cut their losses, swallow their pride, and admit that Warrel is the glue that holds the band together and beg to start SERIOUSLY writing a new NM album. Also, drop the fucking seven string.

I haven't heard the Sanctuary album yet, but I don't have to have heard it to answer your question with an unequivocal no. Nevermore will always be missed.

And I don't think TYTSD has been billed as a "one off". In a recent interview WD said there will be another record after this.

Guess I should reword this: are we over the fact Nevermore is essentially over? Sanctuary gives us so much of what we liked, and skips a few things we didn't like, that while it sucks Nevermore ended the way it did, you can live with it?

I think a better question would be, "Now that the new album is so amazing and this looks like it's going forward, can you deal with the fact that if NM never gets back together you will never hear NM live ever again?"

How does that work? If NM ever got back together it would probably be precisely for a festival appearance before a new record. So you'd likely hear them live but not on record. My opinion.

Jeff has painted himself into a corner so to speak.... aaaaaaaand the three songs off the new Sanctuary > The Obsidian Conspiracy.

"She Comes In Colors" and "Without Morals" are both great songs and "And The Maiden Spoke" is pretty good too. The rest, not so much. Although I'd still rather listen to even those tracks over most of the "new" metal that's been released over the last five years. I think the problem with TOS isn't that it's a bad album. It's not. It's just not a good Nevermore album.

And as much as I like what I've heard off the new Sanctuary album so far, no, this isn't a replacement for Nevermore. When Jeff is actually writing a song, he's still kind of unsurpassed. Although I'll take what I can get with Warrel in an actual band.

Guess I should reword this: are we over the fact Nevermore is essentially over? Sanctuary gives us so much of what we liked, and skips a few things we didn't like, that while it sucks Nevermore ended the way it did, you can live with it?

Over? Dunno how you can ever really be over something you know you'll always miss. Accepted? Sure. I accepted it as soon as I heard Sanctuary was back together and working on material for a new album. I am still going to miss hearing riffage on Jeff's level with a vocalist like Warrel. They were the only band to actually combine the two of this caliber to any success. Judas Priest came close on Painkiller, but that seemed like a random outlier album for them.

I miss Nevermore.

I was a Sanctuary fan far before Nevermore was a gleam in Warrel's eye. After Sanctuary, I had to check out Nevermore, and was not disappointed.

I would love to have both, but if Nevermore never comes back, I can accept that. Only time will tell.

"She Comes In Colors" and "Without Morals" are both great songs and "And The Maiden Spoke" is pretty good too. The rest, not so much. Although I'd still rather listen to even those tracks over most of the "new" metal that's been released over the last five years. I think the problem with TOS isn't that it's a bad album. It's not. It's just not a good Nevermore album.

I'm inclined to fault Peter Wichers. Jeff said he came to the studio with 7-8 minute songs and Peter chopped them down to 3-4 minutes. Mind you, Peter composed and play on my favorite Soilwork albums, so I got nothing against the dude. But listening to the songs off TYTSD, if there ever is another Nevermore album, I want Zeuss to do it. And definitely not Sneap.

Yea I remember reading that during the interviews and writing process for TOC. I was like, fuck man, Nevermore fans want 7 and 8 minute songs. That's like the whole point. Songs like TGE and TL are amazingly epic. The length allows for tons of new ideas to be tossed around. It's precisely the direction they should have gone in after TGE. Jeff should have put his foot down, assuming he was in a position to, and told Wichers to step off. I mean they were his songs. I even asked Jeff why there wasn't a massive epic on TOC and he said basically he just didn't feel like doing one that time around. I hate it when bands get pressured into CHOPPING songs to get to the "meat". And I dunno as much of a Loomis fan as I am, I get the feeling he did not give 100% on TOC.

TOC isn't bad, as mentioned above, when viewed as a metal album. But it is not one of the best Nevermore albums. Not close. More specifically, to me, it just sounds out of place in their discography. Sounds like it should have come like after Dead Heart and Before Enemies. But not after the godly TGE.

Nevermore will always be missed. It's not because TYTSD is a great album (which I don't know, I have yet to listen to it) that you don't want Jeff Loomis and Tim Calvert to write songs for WD to sing onto, or to have the whole band do some shows.

Savatage were busy busy all the time

But everyone came together.

You don't have to sound like grip inc to be amazing on drums.