I heard "St. Anger" yesterday . . .

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
. . . and I vomited. The song "St. Anger" is pure NU-METAL!

Metallica and the media have totally lost it. How could anybody say this album is "heavy" or "back to their roots"? At least that's what one song DOESN'T say to me. When the song first starting playing I thought, "Jeez . . . what new nu-metal group is this?" It sounded a little like Soulfly with melodic vocals.

I don't know why anybody would expect anything better from this band that lost their way and gave in to trends.

Well yah gotta admit it's better than anything from Crap and Re-crap. The vocals are nothing special, it's starting to show James age. They should quit after this album. But hey if you don't like it then don't buy it. :Smug:

There is something missing. I'm sure some of you have noticed. Where The Fuck is the solo, boys girls is the whole album gonna have no solo's and an imitation of what the Nicleback singer will sound like in 25 years

Yeah they need to fire the singer, he's too old to sing. hehe
icon_razz.gif
and hell fire the drummer too. The drum sound on the new stuff has to be about the worst I've ever heard. I know they were supposedly going for a garage sound, but it sounds like the car was in the garage with them !

Ha, oh, no, that just sucks.

I really wanted this to be good, I did. But I trust Nathan's opinion, so now I know it sucks! Ha ha. Of course I'm still going to have to hear it, but, ah, oh well.

did anyone honestly expect this to be good? if you did, you are the most naive mofo on the planet.

did anyone honestly expect this to be good? if you did, you are the most naive mofo on the planet.
They're just nostalgic because they grew up with Metallica. DEEP in their minds and hearts they knew all the time it would suck giant donkey balls, but their fond memories of Metallica won over rational thought.

If you go to the other forums, you'll see posters phrasing the new album like it's the second coming of Christ. :D So there are definitely a bunch of ppl that really want old Metallica enough that they honestly convinced this is the album to bring them back to the roots.

It's not good but not bad either, better than their last 2. The reason why this album would be a so so album for me is because I have such low expectations from them. If it's any good I'll get it burned, but I probably won't get it anyhow.

Keep in mind I've only heard the one song, but Load and Re-Load blew "St. Anger" away. Load and Re-Load actually have redeeming moments as a good rock album.

I grew up worshipping Metallica, learning every song on guitar I could. It's just hard to see them move into nu-metal. They inspired the people that now inspire them.

NP: Metallica - "St. Anger"

This. Sucks. I mean, it sucks more than you could possibly fucking imagine. It's like nu-metal but without any aggression what so ever. James' vocals are fucking pathetic.

Dreamlord said:

Well at times in life, you have to listen to things before you pass judgement. Unless you have ESP or something - in that case, feel free to share your lottery numbers out, heh!

Demonspell said:
Agreed...Metallica was an integral part of my youth, as shameful as that sounds now...

Why would that sound shameful? I'm not embarrased for one second that I thought Metallica were the BEST thrash metal band in existence between 1983 and 1988. But out of sight, out of mind I guess...

I haven't heard St. Assbanger yet and I have absolutely no desire to in the future.

You're right, it probably will suck based on what everyone is saying. But one mans trash is another mans treasure...

Let me ask those who've heard it - if this song wasn't by Metallica, and all the scandal that surrounds them, would you *still* think it were a terrible song? Only honest answers accepted. :D

The only reason I even listened to it was because I realized it was Metallica. Every time I hear a new nu-metal song on the radio I change the station of pop in a CD. I can't stand all the numerous clone bands around right now. The only "heavy" station around here plays non-stop nu-metal, so I hardly ever even listen to the radio.

The song is actually quite boring, even for nu-metal. I was seriously in shock when I heard how far Metallica had actually gone.

npearce said:
The only reason I even listened to it was because I realized it was Metallica. Every time I hear a new nu-metal song on the radio I change the station of pop in a CD. I can't stand all the numerous clone bands around right now. The only "heavy" station around here plays non-stop nu-metal, so I hardly ever even listen to the radio.

The song is actually quite boring, even for nu-metal. I was seriously in shock when I heard how far Metallica had actually gone.

I wonder if it's the same song they played on MTV? If it is, I'm surprised when Erik said there was no aggression. When they played it live, the riff was about twice the speed of Blackened...? I just need to hear it, that's all.

I know what you're saying about the radio - if it isn't nu-metal, then it's the same old same old. I don't know how many times a radio station can play "Black Hole Sun", "Man in the Box", or "Alive".

My god, sometimes I get more sick and tired listening to the same old grunge than I do nu-metal. This is new though. When I first got stateside in 98, the daytime radio was playing Megadeth, Ozzy, Dio - that kind of stuff. I can live with that no probs.

Let me ask those who've heard it - if this song wasn't by Metallica, and all the scandal that surrounds them, would you *still* think it were a terrible song? Only honest answers accepted.
Yes. The song absolutely sucks. It doesn't only suck in a "omg this is nu-metal!!!!" way either, it's not even catchy or well-written or anything. Generic riffs, horrible production with drums that drown out the guitars, and vocals that TOTALLY don't fit what they're trying to do, which I suppose is aggression. It's about as aggressive as a bowl of low-fat yoghurt.

The song played live on MTV was "Frantic". This is the title track. They've made a video for it too.

phyre said:
Yes. The song absolutely sucks. It doesn't only suck in a "omg this is nu-metal!!!!" way either, it's not even catchy or well-written or anything. Generic riffs, horrible production with drums that drown out the guitars, and vocals that TOTALLY don't fit what they're trying to do, which I suppose is aggression. It's about as aggressive as a bowl of low-fat yoghurt.

Ouch. Bad production too? Maybe the producer was too busy trying to play bass lines.

You have to wonder, why didn't James just play the bass lines? How much better can Bob Cock be than James on the ol' four string? Would it even have made a friggin' difference? From the sounds of it, no.

The song played live on MTV was "Frantic". This is the title track. They've made a video for it too.

Aha! That's where my confusion was then. "Frantic" live did sound pretty heavy to me.

Weapon X said:
If you go to the other forums, you'll see posters phrasing the new album like it's the second coming of Christ. :D

Are these the same people who think the new Anthrax album is good? :D

Yeah go find it and tell us what ya think, but I'm fairly confident on your answer! :)

ayeka said:
Are these the same people who think the new Anthrax album is good? :D

lol yep - The couple songs I've heard from the new Anthrax are pretty good tho;)

Jaykeeley said:
Let me ask those who've heard it - if this song wasn't by Metallica, and all the scandal that surrounds them, would you *still* think it were a terrible song? Only honest answers accepted. :D

yep the production is painfull. Well let me put it this way, you know how great the sound is for Megadeth's Killing is my Business, well St. Anger isn't much better, about par! The vocals aren't all that good. The song it self isn't that bad, but if you heard it a couple times you never really want to hear it again. It does have a catchy chorus, the rythme at the beginning is alright as well. But it's very nu-metal!

Over played already on the radio. Totalrock.com play it every hour, the only 2 times I turned the radio yesterday St. Anger was playing each time right away. :ill: Sounds so so so bad in the car, worse than it does in a regular Walkman, stereo etc etc. I don't know why!

phyre said:
They're just nostalgic because they grew up with Metallica. DEEP in their minds and hearts they knew all the time it would suck giant donkey balls, but their fond memories of Metallica won over rational thought.

LOL, that's exactly right! Grumble, grumble.

Weapon X said:
lol yep - The couple songs I've heard from the new Anthrax are pretty good tho;)

GodDAMN!!!! Why is down to me to tell the truth about new Anthrax - that it is totally dull nu-metal? Their singer sucks, nothing as good as Neil or Joey (and Joey wasn't exactly the best in the world either, honestly...)