i need a car

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
yeah, so we're having a child in december. i drive a mazda miata. my old lady drives a camry. i need to replace the miata with something a tad more useful. any ideas? we have lots of money but don't like spending it on shit like new cars. yet, used ones are generally pieces of crap. i no longer have a garage so i have to take the damn things to a mechanic when they break. we're also planning on moving back to ohio, where it snows like a motherfucker, in a couple years so maybe it would be good to have something with traction.

don't laugh but i was thinking about an AWD Honda Element. However, I don't wanna fork over the 20 grand.
i'm also thinking about just drinking all the time and not worrying about the situation at all.

any ideas?

tidbit: some 8 fatal accidents occured this past weekend here in nashville. nice.

Subaru Impreza, god damn good mileage, AWD, reliable, not too expensive. Also they come as a utilitarian lesbian wagon! :kickass:

I love my Impreza WRX but it's like, more money and less practical.

the Honda Element is great actually .. a freind bought one last summer.
the interior has rubber floors and you can get it with waterproof seating ... great for winter and puking babies :loco:

it's pretty much bulletproof and you should be able to get one for about 18-20K

If you want full utility, get a Toyota pickup old or new. Probably the most reliable vehicle, well, ever. They are built for utility though (like all trucks should be), not exactly comfortable for family use.

dorian gray said:
yeah, so we're having a child in december.

Congrats Jon, always good to see decent human beings reproducing for a change. Good luck with all, in case I don't, you know, see any of your posts until december.

One Inch Man said:
Subaru Impreza, god damn good mileage, AWD, reliable, not too expensive. Also they come as a utilitarian lesbian wagon! :kickass:

I love my Impreza WRX but it's like, more money and less practical.

We own one of those. Damn good car, great speeds, amazing handling and tracktion. The biggest downfall is that the parts will cost you an arm and a leg. Most of the stuff is Subaru-exclusive and seems to need to be imported from Japan. So it's not too easy on the wallet in terms of maintenance.

thanks for the thoughts, nigz. i appreciates it.
arent imprezas kinda small though? i've driven the legacy outback and i thought *it* was cramped.

@shroud of dusk: thanks. i'm sure i'll be around for awhile longer. heh
@lizard: yep, first.....and last.
@moonie: glad to see you're alive.

dorian gray said:
@moonie: glad to see you're alive.
and thus concludes the exodus of everyone from the opeth forum who was cool (minus brian) to rc

i highly recommend the car that i own, which is no car at all. wait, i highly discourage that, that's what i meant.

cthulufhtagn said:
and thus concludes the exodus of everyone from the opeth forum who was cool (minus brian) to rc

Moonie got the boot as mod of the place, and decided to banish himself, though I think he got the job back from public outcry.

And I've seen Brian around, though he doesn't post much.

cthulufhtagn said:
bwahaha! the funniest thing i've heard all day. thanks for that. and, yeah, brian recently posted in the "boobies" thread. imagine.

Décadent said:
Moonie got the boot as mod of the place, and decided to banish himself, though I think he got the job back from public outcry.

And I've seen Brian around, though he doesn't post much.
ah wow i didn't know, i don't exactly, uh, keep up with the news over there...i browse once a week or so, but meh...was that forum always so bad? maybe it took me not posting there anymore to realize it :erk:

cthulufhtagn said:
ah wow i didn't know, i don't exactly, uh, keep up with the news over there...i browse once a week or so, but meh...was that forum always so bad? maybe it took me not posting there anymore to realize it :erk:

Yeah, that's it generally. Shocking place. Just ask anyone here.

I speak to Moonlapse on MSN so I get the rundown. Kinda like getting the highlights of the cricket without having to sit through all the wank.

:lol: Well good to see everyone is up to date now.

@dorian: I've never really found it small. It's a fairly decent sized car, the sedan version anyway. No real complaints apart from maintenance price and the fact that the suspension is so hard (aiding the awesome tracktion). I always get the temptation to take it into the outback and just go sick rally-styling it. Then it dawns on me that I'm a shit driver and would most likely die.