I bought a new car (the "I wanna be like Gugs" thread)...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
When Gugs, JK and I went drinking a few Fridays back, I got a chance to take a spin in Gugs' new Mazda Speed6. Truth is, I saw it parked outside JK's house when I pulled up, and didn't even give it a second glance. Later, when we got in it, I was extremely impressed. First off, the car just feels well made. Second, the interior is flawlessly designed. Finally, the car is a total bad ass, but doesn't look like something my 17 year old nephew would look at home in. In essence, it's a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I started doing my research, and couldn't find a bad word written about this car anywhere on the net. Read a "Car and Driver" article, in which they compared it to Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro S-Line, BMW 325ix, Infiniti G35x, Lexus IS 250 AWD, and Volvo S40 T5 AWD. Not bad company to be in, especially when the Speed6 is $5K to $15K less than all those cars.

When you factor into the equation, that this baby is pulling 278 HP, does 0-60 in 5.9, has better breaking than all the cars listed above, is fulltime AWD, has 18" tires, a 7-speaker Bose stereo system with 6-CD in dash, and has a 6-speed manual transmission that shifts flawlessly, this decision was a no-brainer.

pho_gallery_MS6_ext9.jpg

Zod

congrats Zod ... it is a fine car indeed.
went to the NY Auto Show last night and tried to sit in it, but unfortunatelly the battery was disabeled and could not adjust the power seats.

nice car, I'm also buying my first car ever (about time). It'll probably be a blue metallic hyunday tiburon 2000.

I had to get some work done on my car the other day so I got a loaner for the night. They gave me a Lexus ES330 with 200 miles on the clock. Jeebus, that was a beautiful drive.

zod, so you already bought this? i see you so much more in a new mustang gt or a used 'vette. nice car though, the mazda. should serve you well. my 10 year old mx-5 has had ONE repair in 117,000 miles - the slave cylinder went out. my parents have 200,000 on a '96 protege and it's still going.
cheers

dorian gray said:
zod, so you already bought this?
Actually, it's a two year lease, which is perfect for me, since I grow tired of cars quickly.

dorian gray said:
i see you so much more in a new mustang gt or a used 'vette.
Before I traded in the Jeep, I owned an Azure Blue Mustang Mach 1. Gorgeous. However, there were a number of things I grew to dislike about it. First, I often felt like it was a kid's car, especially when pulling into the lot where I work. Second, the car is pure balls. Which, on nice spring, summer and fall days is great. However, when it rains or snow, the car is a horror show. Lastly, it might as well be a two-seater for all the use the backseat is.

As for the Vette... I'd love one. And in theory, I'm fortunate enough that I could probably afford one. However, what I can afford and what I'm willing to pay for, are often different. The Mazda is a $26K car, and the Vette $50K+. I just can't see spending that additional money on a car, when I can put it towards retiring early.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
You've got to be shitting me.
which part? the mx-5 or the protege? the protege has required a ton of repairs but it at least is still being driven by my brother. but i had to take the mx-5 to the shop just one time for repairs. yeah, i had to take it in twice for a check engine light but both times were my fault for fucking with the electronics and not the cars fault so that doesnt count. the only thing wrong with it that wasnt caused by my tinkering is an oil leak. great cars, the 2nd generation miatas.

Zod ... how is the car doing? any issues with it?
lookign to possibly trade in the MINI soon as my warranty will be up ... weighing my options with different brands.

did you lease it?