i need names of fantasy metal bands!

I guess by fantasy metal you mean metal with fantasy based lyrics?

Well, Blind Guardian is the best when it comes to this. Very well written lyrics, not cheesy at all. Most of the fantasy lyrics are Tolkien based but some are based on other novels (I think their 2nd most influential author is Stephen King - they get their name from the novel IT).

Rhapsody is cool too but VERY cheesy lyrics. More "conan the barbarian" style. But great music.

And speaking of Rhapsody, Luca Turilli has two solo albums which are really good. Basically Rhapsody without the Rhapsody name. King of the Nordic Twilight is REALLY good.

Also (going through my CD collection): Avantasia, Demons & Wizards, Dragonforce, Dragonland, Freedom Call, Galloglass, Hammerfall, Holy Knights, Kamelot, Labyrinth, Lost Horizon, Nocturnal Rites, Power Quest, Secret Sphere, Thy Majestie

Just to name a few.

There a WHOLE bunch out there with the fantasy style lyrics......

Out of that bunch my favs are probably Avantasia, Galloglass, Kamelot, Lost Horizon and the Luca Turilli CD. Demons & Wizards is good too if you like Blind Guardian - its Blind Guardian's vocalist in a side-project.

Jeff.

If you like Fantasy Metal, try Dragonland or Demons and Wizards- i can`t stand those bands myself, but they will probably appeal to you.

That was a good one Dado,
oh wait, what about "evergay - In search of "big boy bruce" (say it loud, it rhymes)

Tobias Sammet's "Avantasia The Metal Opera" parts I and II are excellent. The concept behind the albums, as well as the story is a little confusing at times, but deeply melodic. There is DEFINATELY a fantasy vibe here. I love it! Both albums are a sideproject of a band called Edguy, who I have never heard any music by. Timo Tolkii appears in the album briefly, I think, as the voice of god.

Iced Earth

Edguy is sort of fantasy..not in their lyrics but in their style definately. vain glory opera makes me think of knights, theater of salvation makes me think of renessaince. very fucking midieval.

Gamma Ray can have a fantasy sound
Crimson Glory is so fantasy that it could be the soundtrack to He Man and Flash Gordon

Savatage

i second Blind GUardian, Ayreon, maybe even Edenbridge if you like beautiful girly metal. nightwish is a bit heavier power girly metal

anyway for me it went Rhapsody > Edguy AND BLind Guardian > Iced Earth, gamma ray, helloween > Crimson Glory.

crimson glory's first cd is very good...old school fantasy metal, keeping it simple...except for their vocalist who is a nutter

I was always very fond of Rhapsody and Freedom Call when it comes to fantasy. Luca Turilli's stuff is cool, too. But Blind Guardian... blech. Something about them just doesn't match up with me - I get all cheese and no power.

OfSinsAndShred said:
I was always very fond of Rhapsody and Freedom Call when it comes to fantasy. Luca Turilli's stuff is cool, too. But Blind Guardian... blech. Something about them just doesn't match up with me - I get all cheese and no power.

You get all cheese and no power from BG and yet you're a Rhapsody fan?

....I have to sit down for a while, my head hurts... ;) :p