I need new music

Ok.. I've been listening to the same stuff for a while now and I need some new music suggestions. I had a thread like this about progressive stuff but I'm lazy and didn't write down the band names. I think NFU recommended some (Nektar, Van der graaf generator). I forgot that the damn search function was gone and I cant look up my old posts. So.. I would like some suggestions not only in prog, but also some new death and black metal, and even some rock or pop that is good.

Right now I don't know much about the whole prog scene. I have some Floyd, Camel, Yes.. stuff like that. What else should I get? Stuff that I wont have to go searching like crazy for on eBay or something..

I've got tons of death but lately I have been disappointed with many of the albums I've gotten. My fav death bands are Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Decapitated, Nile, Crypstopsy, Morbid Angel, etc etc. I need some good new death.

As for the black metal, I like old Arcturus and Ulver, Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor.. and thats about all I really enjoy. Mayhem and Burzum are ok at best to me. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places, but the other BM stuff people have recommended to me is just terrible (Gorgoroth). What should I check out?

And as for pop and rock. I like Porcupine Tree like most of the folks here as well as a bunch of classic rock and stuff. I was told to check out Pineapple Theif and some other bands like that? What do you guys think I should check out? Any recommendeations in these genres would be appreciated..

For classic rock I would definitely recommend some Mountain, Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep, The Allman Brothers Band, Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Robin Trower (former guitarist of Procal Harum, King Crimson (prog), The Moody Blues, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young (and all their variations), Buckingham Nicks (before they joined Fleetwood Mac). Also, I'd like to give special mention to two bands that don't get nearly enough recognition, Wishbone Ash and The James Gang (Joe Walsh's breakthrough band). Wishbone Ash have some amazing songs for their time and have some great twin guitar solos and a hot bass. The James Gang have Joe Walsh on guitar and vocals for their first three albums and I can't say enough about how underrated they are. Some truly amazing songs.

heres a list of very good and fairly "different" bands you probably havent heard of yet, or that i just highly recommend...but arent generally too hard to find:

prog: gracious, caravan, landberk, nektar, cressida, liquid scarlet, the works.

classic rock: wishbone ash, heart, boston, whitesnake (old, not hair band era).

indie&underground rock: kings of convenience, sixteen horsepower, Ours, sondre lerche.

metal: abigor, armageddon, spiritual beggars, resurrection, empyrium.

thats just rock and its subgenres, i dont know if youre into jazz or classical or electronic music at all...if so...i have suggestions for those too, let me know.

Agalloch - Pale Folklore [black metal/folk/doom]
Taake - Nattestid ser porten vid [black metal]
Silencer - Death - Pierce Me [black metal]
Zyklon - World OV Worms [black/death metal]
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora [black metal]
Novembre - Classica [melodic-death/doom metal]
Nazxul - Totem [black metal]
Thorns - Thorns [industrial black metal]
Limbonic Art - Moon in the Scorpio [black metal]
Mastodon - Remission [sludge metal]
Napalm Death - Scum [grindcore]
Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve [thrash metal]
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design [black metal]
In The Woods... - Return to the Isle of Men [black metal/proggressive rock]
Dodheimsgard - 666 International [industrial black metal]
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King [prog rock]
Kraftwerk - Autobahn [krautrock/techno-pop]
Faust - Faust so Far [krautrock/prog rock]
Woods of Ypres - Pursuit of the Sun and Allure of the Earth [melodic black metal]
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape [psychedelic black metal]
Nurse with Wound - Acts of Senseless Beauty [ambient]
Cynic - Focus [progressive death metal/jazz]
Borknagar - The Olden Domain [black/viking metal]
Enslaved - Monumension [black/viking metal]
Neptune Towers - Caravans to Empire Algol [ambient]
Abyss Hate - Suicidal Emotions [black metal]
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness [grindcore]
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark [black/thrash metal]
Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane [black/death metal]
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God [black metal]
Imperial Crystalline Entombment - Apocalyptic End in White [black metal]
Nest - Woodsmoke [folk]
Shining - Within Deep Dark Chambers [black metal]

King Crimson - this should cover you for a while
Laaz Rockit- metal band from bay area that no one has heard of
65 days of static - good band, deemed math rock, rather interesting
most everyone else has the other stuff covered

Right now I'm really liking this band called Death in June. They do folk music, but most of the vocals are spoken word, which is actually pretty cool and adds a bit to the atmosphere, especially with the lyrics (Black Sun Rising is a great example).

if you're into stuff like Arcturus, you might like this band:

Unexpect

crazy band from Montreal, recently got signed to The End. it's got violin, keyboards, male death and black metal vocals and clean female vox (but done really well, no cheesy over the top operatic stuff)

...they've got that insane carnival-folk-black metal sound... and they're even crazier live!

p.s. also english and french lyrics... but some of the french lyrics are sung and written backwards. i have no idea how they do it.

Buckethead - Electric Tears and Colma albums (cant seem to stress these releases enough,terribly under-rated)

Taake has already been mentioned and I strongly suggest you check into them.

Klimt 1918 - Undressed Momento,Secession Makes Post Modern Music,Dopoguerra albums, reminiscent of Novembre with Cure influences.

Slumber - Fallout and Mindscape albums,very cool band,they remind me of Katatonia during the Brave Murder Day era,down to the vocals,fucking great listen.

John Frusciante has caught my ear as of late and has proven himself to me as a brilliant songwriter,very cool inspiration that came out of nowhere for me, I recommend the album Curtains or To Record Only Water For 10 Days.(Pop Rock)

Polluted Inheritance - Into Darkness,awesome tech death,very groove oriented and brutal,the first track reminds me heavily of Eucharist.

October Falls - Tuoni and Marras albums,first 2 releases of a trilogy album, its all instrumental,all acoustic guitars,a lot of dual melody work going on,reminiscent of opeths orchid era,they are very atmospheric as well often adding in elements such as piano and flute.

Minibosses - Megaman 2,the long version,just because everyone should hear this gem.

:Spin:

I don't really know a big list of stuff but I'll say my favorites at the moment:

IQ, Glass Hammer, Spock's Beard, Pain of Salvation, The Flower Kings, Blackfield, Aeon Spoke,

Wintersun, Ensiferum, Elvenking,

Swallow The Sun...

Oinkness said:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

same here, plus some other stuff like Korpiklaani and Trollfest

btw, for the dude who was asking.. this stuff is all viking/folk/black metal.

Korpiklaani especially has a pretty cool sound cos they use a lot of medieval instruments like the hurdy gurdy etc. Their vocalist sounds really awful, but really great at the same time! :lol: i don't know how else to describe it, but anyways, i can't stop listening to it! try it, you'll see what i mean

Blackhorse_Experience said:
I've got tons of death but lately I have been disappointed with many of the albums I've gotten. My fav death bands are Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Decapitated, Nile, Crypstopsy, Morbid Angel, etc etc. I need some good new death

Two words.

Lykathea

Aflame

I've known about them for awhile, but it wasn't until recently that I listened to them. Phenomenal, and I'm not a huge Brutal death metal fan.

Here's a review http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=1&id=7727

You can also give www.myspace.com/cladindarkness a listen if you want :D

Oinkness said:
I don't really know a big list of stuff but I'll say my favorites at the moment:

IQ, Glass Hammer, Spock's Beard, Pain of Salvation, The Flower Kings, Blackfield, Aeon Spoke,

Swallow The Sun...
Swallow The Sun is great. I hadn't listened to their music before but when I saw them live a couple of weeks ago I loved it. Doom metal.

Try Tristania's Beyond the Veil. They are categorized as goth, but are pretty heavy. The vocals range between black and death metal, with a female, as well as a male with clean vocals. This is a masterpiece album.

If you don't mind slowing it down and going into doom metal, there's always Candlemass. Try out their first two albums.

November's Doom is another group that is constantly being compared to Opeth and they are pretty good. The new album is getting very good reviews.

Pain of Salvation's The Perfect Element pt1 (prog)

Evergrey's Solitude*Dominance*Tragedy It's a bit harder and darker than most of their other stuff, even though I prefer Recreation Day and In Search of Truth. This is an awesome album, nonetheless.

Going into harder thrash:
Kreator's Enemy of God Powerful and heavy. One of this years most highly rated albums.

I experiment on a lot of stuff and I use www.bnrmetal.com as my guide and I go by genres and where band members end up. It's been very reliable.

What Trey said. I picked up Orphaned Land's Mabool album the other day and its immediately become my favourite CD ive heard for many a month. If you like Opeth then i believe you will like them, not to say they share anything more than a few common elements (like knowing a good melody when they see it).