I need some Pure F*cking Black Metal!

Feb 14, 2010
Hey everybody,

After spending hours scouring the internet for black metal recommendations, I decided to register to these forums and ask myself. What are some good, pure and raw black metal Albums/Bands to get into? I have been more partial to Norwegian Black Metal for some reason. Especially early black metal.

I immediately fell in love with Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" and Darkthrone's "Transilvanian Hunger". I also like Immortal alot, but they seem a little cleaner from the two albums I have heard: "Sons of Norther Darkness" and "At the Heart of Winter".

So what are some good raw-black metal albums and bands that I would like?

I was thinking about getting "Pentagram" by Gorgoroth, "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" by Burzum, and "Under the Sign of the Black Mark" by Bathory.

Edit: Sorry for the long post :oops:

Back when I was starting out on black metal, the Finnish scene was quite satisfying. So anything by Horna, Sargeist, Behexen, and Azaghal comes highly recommended, until you find out exactly what your tastes are in black metal.

Oh, and as a heads up, don't talk about black metal being true or pure. It makes you look like a tryhard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend:

Burzum
Bathory
Archgoat
Arkhon Infaustus
Beherit
Behexen
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult
Deathcult
Deathspell Omega
Funeral Mist
Funeral Throne
Funeral Winds
Infernal War
Katharsis (Ger)
Mütiilation
Nocternity
Old Wainds
Ondskapt
Peste Noire
S.V.E.S.T.
Teratism
Valkyrja
Vlad Tepes

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

Wow! I was not expecting such a quick and large response! Thanks guys.:)

I'll definitely look into many of the bands before mentioned, but since I like to enjoy albums for a little before getting new ones, it will probably take me awile to get through this list.

I just purchased "Filosofem" by Burzum and "Pentagram" by Gorgoroth and was blown away. Awesome albums.

Which of these two Darkthrone albums should I get first: "Under a Funeral Moon" or "A Blaze in the Northern Sky"?

And if I loved "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" by Mayhem, what Mayhem album should I get next?

I agree about getting Ordo Ad Chao if you like Misteriis. But don't bother with anything between. I even like Grand Declaration of War personally, but I'm one of twenty on that and it's just something completely different.

What I can recommend more is Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon, which is a great thick Norwegian blackmetal.

Which is the best Burzum Album? Because I got "Filosofem" and the first three tracks blew me away! But the last three were horrible and extremely boring!

I just want a Burzum album that is as heavy or crazy as the first 3 tracks of Filsofem.