I need some non-screamo metal :(

Angel's Punishment

New Metal Member
Nov 20, 2008
Hey guys, I really am needing some new metal. I like most kinds -- black metal, symphonic metal, doom metal, melodic metal...just I need some bands that DON'T SCREAM. There can be minor growling or screams as long as it isn't the focus. (I mean stuff like Hammerfall, where they just use growls/screams to accent certain notes). Here are some bands I like:

Nightwish
Disturbed
Kamelot
Hammerfall
Symphony X
Black Sabbath (if that counts as metal)
Tyr
Lacuna Coil

I don't need any more symphonic/femme metal, though if you have a really awesome band that's cool too. And I'm looking for music a bit heavier than the bands I posted.

Disturbed is not METAL!!

Here are some classic bands you should check out:

Arsis
Bathory
Candlemass
Carcass
Celtic Frost
Death
Dissection
Emperor
Enslaved
Entombed
Kalmah
Napalm Death
Pig Destroyer
Rotting Christ
Terrorizer
Wintersun

Does it annoy anyone else when people refer to bands that scream/growl as screamo?

Disturbed is not METAL!!

Arsis
Bathory
Candlemass
Carcass
Celtic Frost
Death
Dissection
Emperor
Enslaved
Entombed
Kalmah
Napalm Death
Pig Destroyer
Rotting Christ
Terrorizer
Wintersun

Did you read his post?

Anyway my recs are:

Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Sonata Arctica
Firewind
Falconer
Cynic
Tool
Queensryche

and some more but my brain isn't working well atm.

Does it annoy anyone else when people refer to bands that scream/growl as screamo?

Yes.

Again with Iced Earth and Blind Guardian. Of course classics like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Manilla road.

Also, to sound like an elitist prick; how the fuck can you ask if Black Sabbath counts as metal and list disturbed with no such question? Sabbath started metal as it is.

Recommendations ranging from classic to more obscure stuff:

Black Sabbath
Manilla Road
Candlemass
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Pentagram
Solitude Aeturnus
Count Raven
Pagan Altar
Mercyful Fate
King Diamond
Helstar
Blind Guardian
Trouble
Warning
Manowar
Satan
Tokyo Blade
Diamond Head
Cirith Ungol
Hour of 13
The Lamp of Thoth

Thanks all of you who actually gave me suggestions (especially ObscureInfinity -- lots of new music <3).

Black Sabbath doesn't have a forum here, and since it's a pretty popular band, I didn't know if people thought it was hard rock or something.

And many consider Disturbed to be a metal band, normally under articles as both rock and metal. Anyway, thanks for all who are condescending because I like Disturbed >_> Blech. Anyway, thanks again to those who suggested bands. I'll be sure to check em out.

And i'm sorry if I offended anyone by saying I didn't want screamo metal, and then later said that I didn't want growls or screams. I should have added an "either" after growls or screams. Because I don't like screamo, and I don't like growls or screams. I wasn't lumping them into one category, and I apologize if I was not accurately conveying what I was trying to say.

Black Sabbath doesn't have a forum here, and since it's a pretty popular band, I didn't know if people thought it was hard rock or something.

And many consider Disturbed to be a metal band, normally under articles as both rock and metal. Anyway, thanks for all who are condescending because I like Disturbed >_> Blech. Anyway, thanks again to those who suggested bands. I'll be sure to check em out.
The forums here are only a few sponsored metal bands. They are undoubtabley Heavy Metal.

Disturbed is nu metal, so is pretty much completely shunned by the metal community.

To throw out another rec; Tygers of Pan Tang (Wild Cat), Warning (Watching from a Distance)and My Dying Bride (The Dreadful Hours). The My Dying Bride album does have a lot of guttural vocals, but they are fairly balanced with clean ones.

Hey guys, I really am needing some new metal. I like most kinds -- black metal, symphonic metal, doom metal, melodic metal...just I need some bands that DON'T SCREAM. There can be minor growling or screams as long as it isn't the focus. (I mean stuff like Hammerfall, where they just use growls/screams to accent certain notes). Here are some bands I like:

Nightwish
Disturbed
Kamelot
Hammerfall
Symphony X
Black Sabbath (if that counts as metal)
Tyr
Lacuna Coil

I don't need any more symphonic/femme metal, though if you have a really awesome band that's cool too. And I'm looking for music a bit heavier than the bands I posted.
Sabbath are definitely metal.

Edguy
Avantasia
Kreator (kinda raspy)
Fates Warning
Queensryche
Sinergy

Can't think of too much really ballsy thrash that doesn't use any harsh vocals. Aside from really obvious stuff.

Arsis
Bathory
Candlemass
Carcass
Celtic Frost
Death
Dissection
Emperor
Enslaved
Entombed
Kalmah
Napalm Death
Pig Destroyer
Rotting Christ
Terrorizer
Wintersun
Not a single one of those meets his request.

YES.

Thanks, We Are in Flames. I'll check em out.

About the screamo thing, *pokes my previous post*

Just for the record I'm female ^_^

i recommend:

Primordial
Nevermore
Candlemass
Solitude Aeturnus
Root
In The Woods...
Wuthering Heights
Falconer
Communic

female vocals:

Madder Mortem
Aghora
Amaran
The Provenance

Testament.

any album by them. very manly vocals but not much growling. (except Demonic, but that album kicks ass too)

Angel's Punishment said:
Just for the record I'm female ^_^
OMGZ A WOMANZZ OHAI THER!!:oops::saint::oops::saint: