I need your metal knowledge everyone.

SweptbackFlame

twitch.tv/SweptbackFlame
Oct 4, 2006
Canada
K, so anyways, I'm using a widget for mp3's for my forum, I want to put songs from bands that basically would get people into metal.

Like starting off sort of thing.

From all the genres, Grindcore, Thrash, Metalcore, Black Metal, Death Metal, Power Metal, etc...

So suggest some bands for me. Specifically songs that basically would get people into metal.

Example Metallica's "Master of Puppets"

I would do it myself, but my experience of finding pioneer songs to get people into metal is not there yet.

I'm not sure that my help could be very... instructive, but I'd like to say Metallica "Fade to black" of course, and big northern bands like Sonata Arctica ( "I want out" or "Don't say a word") or Pain ("Not afraid to die", "shut your mouth"), but it's a kind of songs you can fall in love with or hate from the deeper side of your heart (wow, I should stop write things like that, but I don't really know how to put what I want to say :s)
And instrumental songs like "voice of the soul" from Death.
Maybe some Arch Enemy ("Nemesis") or Dark Tranquility ("Lost to Apathy") but they're all quite famous bands so I think you ever know them.

(How to write something totally useless in a few seconds)

What are we assuming gets most people into metal? I mean should we be thinking more about pretty accessible essentials i.e. "Enter the Eternal Fire" or something for black metal or do you just want a load of In Flames/Children of Bodom/etc.-esque stuff?

To some people, the question could be reworded "How shitty are we talkin' here?"

What are we assuming gets most people into metal? I mean should we be thinking more about pretty accessible essentials i.e. "Enter the Eternal Fire" or something for black metal or do you just want a load of In Flames/Children of Bodom/etc.-esque stuff?

To some people, the question could be reworded "How shitty are we talkin' here?"

Why not have the shitty and good stuff?

Mercenary is a good starter band IMO. They have growly and soaring clear vocals and don't fit neatly in any category and aren't intimidatingly heavy or wanky.

Why not have the shitty and good stuff?

Idk, maybe I just didn't want to associate the two. I was just trying to distinguish between the drastically different commercialized metal of today (like In Flames, Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir) and traditional extreme metal of the '80s/'90s (Bathory, Candlemass, Morbid Angel, etc.) - both of which are pretty accessible.

Solitude Aeturnus - Black Castle (DOOM)
Arch Enemy - Silverwing (Melodeath)
Hate Eternal - Dogma Condemned (Death)
Rebellion - Arise (Power)
Witchery - Unholy Wars (Thrash/Speed)

Some great and/or decent stuff:

Pain - Shut your Mouth
Alcest - Solar Song
Ozzy - Perry Mason
Testament - Return to Serenity
Morbid Angel - Where the slime Live
Ulver - I Troldskog Faren Vild
My Dying Bride - The Cry Of Mankind
Novembre - Triesteitaliana
Borknagar - Colossus
Obscura - Anticosmic Overload/Incarnated (since it doesn't sounds really heavy...)

these songs were all notable to me when I was first learning there was something more than Rammstein/Papa Roach/Slipknot/etc. out there:

In Flames - Everlost (Part I) (first 'real' Metal song I ever liked)
In Flames - Lunar Strain
Nevermore - The Heart Collector
Sentenced - No More Beating As One
Carcass - Blood-Spattered Banner
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - The River Flows Frozen
Ablaze My Sorrow - I Will Be Your God
Bloodbath - Outnumbering the Day
Obituary - Rotting Ways
Amorphis - Smithereens
Hypocrisy - Roswell '47
Amon Amarth - Where Silent Gods Stand Guard
Carpathian Forest - Knokkelmann

Behemoth - As Above, So Below will get them into death metal

so will Bloodbath - Like Fire

pretty much guaranteed unless they are total pussies

aug, you're an idiot. You haven't discovered a new band in 4 years.
lol not really 4 years :p but yeah my taste doesnt change much and i find it hard to find new stuff with staying power :/.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rL1NcmfaQ&feature=related[/ame]

^^^^^^^
That one is bad audio quality, but whatever, most people like it

Also this one shows the more melodic side to metal

Last edited by a moderator: