I really need your advice on this - chargeing for files?

Just delete the files now, or tell them you deleted them. Even if they know you had them this morning it makes no difference, there's nothing illegal about deleting them or anything. They are being fuckheads and I don't see you getting any real positive recognition out of this deal regardless.

Just delete the files now, or tell them you deleted them. Even if they know you had them this morning it makes no difference, there's nothing illegal about deleting them or anything. They are being fuckheads and I don't see you getting any real positive recognition out of this deal regardless.
Agreed.

If they're going to be dicks about it just say you "deleted the files" because you needed more space for other projects.
After saying that you could try to persuade them to re-record a better song with you, charge them for tracking/edit/whatever accordingly, and let this other studio do the mixing and mastering. =D

-You could have called us!? asking if we wanted to record and stuff..!

Because engineers definitely call ME when MY band wants to book time? Hahahahahahaha

On topic, I would personally offer them a reasonable price for the processing you've done, if you can calculate the time spent on it, somehow.

Everybody acts like a jackass at times. They aren't being considerate, but you let them do that in being so nice and lenient in the beginning [I'm assuming this for the most part, based off of what you've said of them].

Just explain to them, and try to keep it as non-hostile as possible, your point and that you feel it's really unfair. If they insist on asking for it for free and won't pay a small fee for your processing, delete everything besides one of the DI tracks and give that to them, saying that you had big hard drive problems and this was all you could recover, or something..

Really sucks about that dude, I don't have much input, but I can give some off-topic info about the dropbox thing.

In all browsers except Chrome (as far as my knowledge goes), you have to install something like QuickTime to be able to listen to direct .mp3 links.

If you can listen to the files and want to make the files downloadable in the link, add "?dl=1" to the url :)

(Btw your mix sounds great, tons better than the first one)

In all seriousness the only other option besides telling them "No, fuck off" is to get paid. They want to take the work you did for free and then pay someone else to work on it after all the hard leg work is done. Sorry it doesn't fucking work that way. If they are willing to pay that guy and they are so excited about this opportunity that they have because of the FAVOR YOU DID THEM, they should be calling you BEGGING TO PAY YOU because you've helped them out big time and now they have some money to put towards it and they want you to be rewarded for helping them out so much. If they are willing to pay everyone except you, FUCK THEM.

In all seriousness the only other option besides telling them "No, fuck off" is to get paid. They want to take the work you did for free and then pay someone else to work on it after all the hard leg work is done. Sorry it doesn't fucking work that way. If they are willing to pay that guy and they are so excited about this opportunity that they have because of the FAVOR YOU DID THEM, they should be calling you BEGGING TO PAY YOU because you've helped them out big time and now they have some money to put towards it and they want you to be rewarded for helping them out so much. If they are willing to pay everyone except you, FUCK THEM.

Thanks, maybe I'm not insane after all.. though it hurts my brain..
They record with me and in their eyes, it's a hit song.. so the natural course is.. eh.. to record with another guy..
After they recorded with him, they sign up for a competition using the song I wrote.. saying it was better than the one they did with him.. and I qoute:
"Obviously we made the right choice in choosing that song (ours), since we won the contest"

@MaellaJohn
Yeah, why didn't I call them to see if they want to work with me, even though they said they didn't want to work with me anymore..

Thanks for all the replies guys, really helping me get my mind together..
I had also saved the pdf in which concerning the schoolproject..
It says I'll deliver a master track to the band.. nothing else... no stemtracks or original tracks..
I have delievered the master track..

As of now, I think I have these options..

A) Tell them to fuck off
B) Tell them to pay me for the files (which I told'em I'm considering)
C) Tell them they get the files without charge if they sign a contract stating I own half the song etc.. (although this is a schoolproject supervised by Jens Bogren, so I shouldn't need a contract, and I have the original song they sent me as well as e-mails regarding the music)
D) Tell them I'll delete the files and it would be best for both parties..

It's so annyoing that they can pay other people for their services..
Then call me after a year and just expect me to start doing things for free, with the only reason being "BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO SPEND ANY MONEY"

Thanks, maybe I'm not insane after all.. though it hurts my brain..
They record with me and in their eyes, it's a hit song.. so the natural course is.. eh.. to record with another guy..
After they recorded with him, they sign up for a competition using the song I wrote.. saying it was better than the one they did with him.. and I qoute:
"Obviously we made the right choice in choosing that song (ours), since we won the contest"

@MaellaJohn
Yeah, why didn't I call them to see if they want to work with me, even though they said they didn't want to work with me anymore..

Thanks for all the replies guys, really helping me get my mind together..
I had also saved the pdf in which concerning the schoolproject..
It says I'll deliver a master track to the band.. nothing else... no stemtracks or original tracks..
I have delievered the master track..

A) Tell them to fuck off
C) Tell them they get the files without charge if they sign a contract stating I own half the song etc.. (although this is a schoolproject supervised by Jens Bogren, so I shouldn't need a contract, and I have the original song they sent me as well as e-mails regarding the music)

Then call me after a year and just expect me to start doing things for free, with the only reason being "BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO SPEND ANY MONEY"

after reading this post I would say that if they don't want to pay you for the the stems, tell them to record it again with someone else.

A) Tell them to fuck off

Do not under any circumstance give them the project files for free. Seriously, do not even entertain this thought at all.

You wrote, mixed, and mastered a song that the band have now made a significant amount of money from. They might also make more if they have successful tours and radio play.

Your absolute worst option is C. And should not even be an option at all. These fucking fools will not adhere to any contract that you draft. The band is too stupid to realize that you single handedly gave them their big break for free. They should be begging you to write mix and master more of their songs. They are too fucking dumb to realize and truly appreciate the gift that you have given them.

If they have such a huge problem with actually paying you for your work that has landed them in this position; they will not actually give you your fair share of royalties (or any royalties at all) even if you have a contract. These people will do whatever they can to make sure you are fucked over. You will never see any money from them ever if you do not demand payment now.

Do not do not do not give them the project files without them paying you first. You have already well exceeded any expectations of working for free.

I personally would not tell them to fuck off and delete the files because this band will eventually get desperate enough for the project file that they will pay you. Simply let them know how much money you want and wait. State that they should not bother contacting you until they are ready to pay. If they promise any future money do not believe them they are lying. Demand money now or no files.

You have seriously already been way too patient for these fucking jackasses.

I'm still not sure what to do.. even though you're really helping me..
Maybe you can help clear some more things up..
I said I'd have an answer for them tomorrow..

They don't need the remix.. it's an option..

If they release the song as it is now, it's MY mix..
Wouldn't that be more beneficial to me than letting another guy mix it and releasing HIS mix?
They have already won the contest with MY production.. my work..
It's pretty insulting wanting another guy mix it, and that I give it all up for free..
Is my mix the best? Depends on who you ask.. I could be more happy with it if they'd given me more time than I had..
Would the other guys mix be better? Maybe.. Maybe not..

I'm pretty sure that giving them the original DI-tracks and midi-drums, wouldn't be sufficient..
They have been offered a remix, not an entire remake of the production..
And shouldn't I be paid for MY production? if that's what they need..
My production as in; amping, reverb, EQ, drumtracks(samples) etc..

Maybe it is best to just tell them to forget about it..
Then MY mix/song/production/master will be the one getting fucking 3000€ in promotion..

And I'm not rich.. got no job.. rent and other bills is way late..
I even have to pawn my fucking guitar tomorrow to be able to afford food (in Sweden you pawn something and it's not getting sold, it's kept until you go claim it again, if you don't pay the storage fee for 9 months or so, they sell it)
I'm not saying this to get any sympathy votes.. I'm just saying that with all that shit, I'm not even being greedy..
I have gotten suggestions from others to just give them the files and be happy etc..
I'm not going to do that.. this whole thing just confuses me..

I knew bands could be asshats.. and you probably have heard of/experienced worse scenarios.. one has to be paranoid in this buisiness.. :D

Dude.... your ONLY options should be A or B. C is just showing how you're willing to let yourself be raped time and time again - no one is going to respect that.

Dude.... your ONLY options should be A or B. C is just showing how you're willing to let yourself be raped time and time again - no one is going to respect that.

The truth has been spoken..
I'd have to agree..

A is probably best for me (or a gentler version of it) since my name would still be on it..
B would give me some coins for now.. but the mix and master would has someone other guys name on it.. and they'd have the tracks..

To be honest, I'm not seeing the big deal here. Songs get remixed and remastered all the time. It's a part of the business. Charge them for getting them the tracks if you want to, but not giving them just because you want your name on the song seems a bit douchey to me. You'd still be entitled to at least producer and engineer credits, apparently songwriter creds as well.

I didn't read the whole thread. I don't think I need to. Charge your hourly+media for the time in takes to organize and burn/transfer the files. Writing a song and doing production for free is a past mistake that you need to learn from and let go of.

To be honest, I'm not seeing the big deal here. Songs get remixed and remastered all the time. It's a part of the business. Charge them for getting them the tracks if you want to, but not giving them just because you want your name on the song seems a bit douchey to me. You'd still be entitled to at least producer and engineer credits, apparently songwriter creds as well.

Yes, of course.. but I don't have a name..
I honestly don't believe they're giving me any cred whatsoever when sending the song to competitions etc..

See, it's about principals.. not money.. but I want to get paid what I'm entitled to..

Before I posted this message I googled to see what the competition was about..
And it seems that they're in the process of recording a full album..
What that means, I have no idea.. they told me they haven't been signed..
But if they sell that album with my song on it.. without telling me.. and if they have the original files.. they could probably fuck me over if they wanted to..

But if they sell that album with my song on it.. without telling me.. and if they have the original files.. they could probably fuck me over if they wanted to..

I think they allready fucked you over big time, concerning the useing of the song and not crediting you/sharing profit/royalties/even thanking you as much as they should.
So for that part it doesn't make a difference if they get the files or not imo.
Unless they can't rerecord the song without your files because you were so much involved that they can't reproduce it.
So I don't get what you're exactly worried about?
Or do you want to build some pressure to get paid for when you made the mistake to do all that for free?...cause that would be a dumb move imo

I'm not trying to get paid for the free work, it was a schoolproject, I never expected anything from them.. not even the money I spent on food, traveling to their rehersal place several times (there and home cost about 12€ each time) and snacks for the band while they recorded..
NOW.. a year later.. now I'm expecting to get paid for the work I do now..

I should own 50% of the song at minimum..
I haven't sent my files to any copyrightfirm etc..

But.. tonight I've taken a lot of steps ensuring that I'm getting credit for my work..
We'll see how that goes..

I guess I'll tell them to ask what the other studio wants from them..
1. If they want my production, I'd have to charge extra for it.. why send my production to them just so they can slap their name on it..
2. Just the DI's and a midi-drumtrack.. then I'll charge an hourly rate for it + package, etc..
How does that sound?

Thanks for the replies and help!

It just solved itself..
I told them to contact the studio to find out what the studio needed.. they said that they would do that..
I told them if the DI's and midi-drums would be sufficient, then I'd charge them 12€/hour and I estimated 2 - 3 hours..
If they needed the full production stemtracks I said the hourly charge + 50€..
I honestly don't believe that is too much.. in any case it's way less money than I've spent on the band and their recording..
THEN..
They changed their mind and said that they'd rerecord everything and reprogram the drums themselves..
So they didn't need anything from me..

They said that there were no hard feelings between us and that I'll be given cred for the song..
That's it..