I saw Anthrax for the first time 25 years ago today

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
On this day 25 years ago at the old age of 13 I saw Anthrax play one of their first shows on the POT tour.

Wow - what a memory...... being so young and it being my very first concert, the anticipation was amazing. These were the days when there was an "evil" feeling in the air at metal shows. In the line outside Thebarton Theatre, which holds about 2000 and is one of the best places to see a mid-sized band in my town, people were just going insane with one of metal's titans of the day in town. I even remember a guy running out onto the busy road out front of the venue into the path of a moving car and rolling across its bonnet! At the age of 13 I thought I'd walked into hell and was actually feeling so uneasy being surrounded by these crazy people!!! How things change!!!

The show itself was just amazing..... will never forget the crowd just going insane as the clock started to tick, the skulls lit up, strobe lights, and bam - into Time they thrashed!!!!!!

Just found the setlist from that very gig online:

1. Time
2. Madhouse
3. Caught in a Mosh
4. Keep It in the Family
5. Now It's Dark
6. Got the Time
7. Antisocial
8. Into to Reality - Belly of the Beast
9. Indians
10. In My World
11. Metal Thrashing Mad
12. Medusa
13. Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)
14. I Am the Law
15. I'm the Man
16. Be All, End All

That night will always be one of the greatest of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a toast - NP POT!!!!!!

@Timmy I WAS AT THAT VERY SHOW TOO (but I was 19 years old ;-) and yes I remember that crazy bastard rolling on the bonnet of the car. Remember the cops showing up too.

Also remember some asian tourist with a video camera just wandered in off the street and filmed the concert!!!

Crazy gig but yes despite the smallish crowd the atmosphere was electric! I actually bought the tour program that night but stupidly got rid of it down the years. Shame ...

Nice! My first show was also on the Stomp tour in 96, I met everyone in the band and I was shaking like a schoolgirl I was so starstruck lol. John handed me the mic during Antisocial and let me scream the whole chorus, so technically I've sang with the band.

I think I missed the pot shows for that exact reason lol,was young and a bit silly for not going to see them,it ended up being a very big mistake as I had to wait till stomp tour to see them,selina's at congee bay hotel,was a luxury to see such a great band in such a small venue,to this day it is still,one of the best shows I've ever seen

Any setlist that includes In My World works for me!

My first time seeing Anthrax was on the Clash Of The Titans tour.

My first time seeing Anthrax was on the Clash Of The Titans tour.

That's one show I seriously wish I got to see. The peak of thrash right there, before things started to go downhill for many years (for thrash I mean).

My first time seeing Anthrax (and my first concert of any kind) was the State of Euphoria U.S. tour in 1989 when I was 17; they were opening for Maiden (No Prayer For The Dying Tour). They've been on-and-off my favorite band ever since.