I think it's high time for a YES thread.

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
Don't you?

Well, I just decided to listen to my yes collection from Time and a Word to Keysongs. Quite an enjoyable listen, spanning 30 years.

Who here likes YES? There influences on prog music is no less than absolute. What abulms have you got or like?

Also, who has their new one? reflections or something, I think. Is it anygood?

I liked Yes the most in the era between 1968 and Time and a Word, and 1980 and Drama, which was their first CRAP album. From then on, the band turned to 80's pop rock, which I hated.

They kinda made a recovery with Keys To Ascention 1 and 2, going back to their roots, and they almost pulled it off. But the magic is long gone, I beleive. They were heading in the right direction with The Ladder in 1999. So I wonder what their new album is like, or if it has even been released yet.

Here's what I have anyways:

Time and A Word 1970

timeandawordus.jpg

The Yes Album 1971

yesalb.jpg

Fragile 1971/72

fragile.jpg

Close To The Edge 1972

close.jpg

Tales From Topographical Oceans 1973

tales.jpg

Relayer 1974

relayer.jpg

Going For The One 1977

going.jpg

Tormato 1978

tormato.jpg

Drama 1980

drama.jpg

After this album, just like every other band ever, they went crap.

so we'll skip up to:

Talk 1994

talk.jpg

Finally, after 14 years, they were beggining to get it back together.

Keys To Ascension 1 1996

keys.jpg

Keys To Ascension 2 1997

keys2.jpg

Then skip a few more mistakes and we get:

ladder.jpg

which isn't to bad... but by now, these guys must be gettin old.

Anyways, those are the albums I've been listening to all the way through, and it's been great. They are an amazing band. Anyone who hasn't heard them yet, goto this site:

http://yes.iq.pl/e/albums.htm

this is a good discography site. Grab a few songs from around the Fragile to Relayer era.

Originally posted by llamaura
<singing> wheel in the sky keeps on turning...

Is that Yes? Or do they do a different song that has to do with turning around? Seeing the name Yes makes me think of the word "round" dammit!

Hmm.. well, not sure. Might be from Roundabouts.. or it might be from their 80's stuff..

Or are you thinking of the Midnight Oil song "Beds are Burning"?

=)

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
I've seen all good people is probably the crappest song from "The Yes Album" but it sure is better than "OWNER OF A LONELY HEART" which summerizes their crapness during the 80's into one song. Avoid the 80's so that I may avoid embarresment!

I'm not surprised you feel that way... :)

I started with the album Fragile. I asked the guy at the store what band started the progressive movement, and where Opeth might have got some influence from. And he said Yes. I gave him a confused look. And he explained that Yes were a band, and sold me two albums, Fragile, and Close To The Edge.

I was blown away by it, and continued buying more regularily, until I ran out of good albums.

If you are curious, start with those albums, or Relayer, with their best song: Gate Of Delerium, 21 minutes of goodness.

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
I started with the album Fragile. I asked the guy at the store what band started the progressive movement, and where Opeth might have got some influence from. And he said Yes. I gave him a confused look. And he explained that Yes were a band, and sold me two albums, Fragile, and Close To The Edge.

I was blown away by it, and continued buying more regularily, until I ran out of good albums.

If you are curious, start with those albums, or Relayer, with their best song: Gate Of Delerium, 21 minutes of goodness.

The finale of that album {Gates of Delerium} was to me their best moment. That song just sounds too advanced for 1974.

:) :) :)

yes are truly great, best album in my opinion is relayer. my first encounter with yes was gates of delerium, I was speechless after hearing it. went out and bought the album the next day...it's soulwrenching good :)