it's high time Akerfeldt learned how to play guitar

Hello all...

Well, as we all grow older (and wiser), I think the meaning of music, and finding in to the root of what music is, and what we personally like about it will become more and more aware...

Perfect tone, clarity etc. will have an importance to some people, however, I think judging and comdemning other peoples music for lacking of perfection or musicianship is something to me cautios about.

Lets enjoy the possibility to listen to what/who we like most, and keep the useless comments to ourselves..!

regards,

Torben Scharling

I think Mikael has achieved everything he's set out too. Like he said, 'It doesn't really matter what everyone thinks of our music, as long as we like it."

like I said, who gives a rats arse if there a mistakes throughout. The whole, is better than the sum of parts.

Ooohh...what a heated battle :D hehe.
I really dont' care what people say. I have my favorite guitar players, and I catch shit for it too. But I dont' care. it's all about personal taste. Some one may think Jimmy hendrix is fucking god...personally...I don't like him. Find Eric Clapton more talented to me.

And Eddie Van Hallen. YES He's AMAZING! I love Eddie...but I like Randy Rhoads WAY better.

It's just that personal preference. Someone may care about tone, and sound projeciton. Others may go "FUCK it! LISTEN TO THAT RIFF!"

Cant' go through life rejecting music that isn't what you like. Listen to it...see if it grow on you. I never liked Death metal for a while. I was into Power metal. Because I love nice clean vocals and great guitar riffs. But then I realized music wise I was missing out on because of the vocals. Now, the growls and screaches...I LOVE THEM!

I have no idea what Im talking about...just trying to hit 20 posts! :)

Extensive Desolation : "Have you heard about a guy who spend hours hitting one note, trying to get a perfect sound??"

Haha, Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman used to overdub solos for 'Countdown to Extinction' through a tuner so they could get their bends right on pitch. That's going the extra mile but it is a bit ridiculous... who's going to notice if your bend is off a few nanotones?

For the defense, I've transcribed a shitload of Opeth, and one thing I've noticed is that Mikael and Peter record their acoustic parts LOUD AS HELL. This is why you can hear them fret, move their hands and move their guitars around during the parts. Intimate? Very intimate. Noisy? Yes, rather noisy...

You also have to understand that Opeth tracked their first two albums within one to one and a half weeks. Getting the parts down was more important than actually perfecting them, due to money constraints, etc. Dan and Mikael couldn't sit there for hours like James Hetfield and Bob Rock could to mic an acoustic guitar.

You should actually be commending Mikael for having one of the most cleanest tones in metal guitardom. Part of the reason is that Mikael now layers guitars with less distortion during recording, rather than using a blasting amp, like the first two records.

(Learn how to play guitar? Dude, Opeth songs are hard as fuck!)

Extensive Desolation: "I must say that you are musical genius and BWP is the best album I’ve ever heard (and I heard some) but it’s altogether quite sad - there are so many great things that you can do but never will. You are too lazy. ."

Yeah, well I must say you are quite the fool and this post is the dumbest I've ever seen (and I've seen bad) but it's altogether quite sad - there are so many great things you can do but never will. You are full of shit and hot air.

hey Extensive Desolation, you know you can always listen to "flawless, perfect" music, which is......POP! yes, do you ever hear any "mistakes" at all there? it's all computer processed and clean for you.

seriously, you have to sweat over your instrument to make music and there will be "mistakes". that is the intimacy, honesty of the artist.

doesnt picasso have any mistakes?
shakespeare has some very stupid lines, too.

Who's that guy anyway? I know he's from Finland, but... Someone's side-kick multipersonfriend? Anyone recognice as their own? I have no problem with what he's saying, but always awakens my attention when someone says something with that attitude...

Of course. It's only human to make mistakes. I think his angle is that he doesn't want any off notes hit during production, so he can hear a product that sounds as it was originally written to sound. I'm not sure how he came off sounding so anal about it, but I suppose at its core, that would be his angle. I also agree that Opeth were very rushed during some albums when it came to recording, so it was a matter of actually working 24/7 just to get the shit down! If it was me being rushed to take down a whole album full of songs which are around 10 minutes in length.. you would get more than AUDIBLE mistake... personally I've never really scrutinized their music so much as to find errors in it, I really don't care...

Originally posted by Hearse
even mozard did mistakes...

agreed, and since mozart was basically the greatest musical genius of all recorded music history (alongside Bach and Beethoven) everyone else has plenty of excuses to make mistakes.

Even glenn gould, a Bach performing genius, said "artistry and perfection do not mix. Perfect art is no longer art, it has no soul. We are flesh and blood, not a machine or computer."

boomshakalaka

If I judge correctly, extensive desolation: A) Mikael Akerfeldt's primary concert isn't to achieve skill in playing the guitar, but to maintain adequate skill in playing guitar to acommodate with his songwriting. B) Mikael cares more about the mix of all the elements of his music, than just taking the notes in his mind and putting them on record exactly. C) If he were to reply to you, I think he would say "Fuck you."

This is so ridiculous. The flaws add character and depth and make it sound real. That's the way REAL prog from the 70's sounded. When things are too polished they sound artificial, and FAKE. If that's the kinda fabricated and over-produced sound that gives you a boner then you should be listening some some Dream Theatre crap or something like that, REAL music is clearly NOT for you.

Satori

Originally posted by extensive desolation

I am not talking about bad notes but about dirty sound of notes.
Listen to "The twilight..." at 3:35 - 4:35 (this part is TERRIBLE) wtih your headphones and you'll se what I mean

Go eat your headphones...