i want to pimp out my ibanez with bare knuckles

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
so which series is best suited to metal? i just tried my jackson with has a emg 81 and a 85 which i have not played in about a year and i absolutely hate it! the sound is just far to scratchy and fake sounding.

i've been playing my gibson with smoky coils custom wound pickups and i love em so much for my gibson. sadly you cant buy them anywhere and im not ripping them out of my gibson.

so from what i heard bare knuckles make sweet passive pickups for metal but i went onto the site and i dont have a clue which series to pick.

thanks for help if you do contribute:headbang:

I've got a set of Nailbombs in my SZ520QM. Absolutely love them, lots of output and aggressive but very musical. I still wanna get some EMG's for one of my other guitars but thats more for other bands wanting to use them rather than for me.

For metal Nailbomb's, Miracle Man's or Warpigs seem to be the ones most reccomended.

I also just bought a nailbomb matched set for my les paul. When they arrive, the whole thing is getting gutted and redone, probably with 500k pots.

I have a Miracle Man in my Blackjack and absolutely love it. It's a really high output pickup, but remains musical. Extremely tight and percussive. Useless for cleans, but I always use my neck pickup for cleans anyway. It's a great pickup for Mahagony bodied guitars.

great - the last 3 comments have now wrecked my decision!

which pickup then chaps? looking for a warm high output pickup with lots of power to pick up harmonics and i want it to be bare knuckle

outch - yea i checked that out already a few days ago on the site. there are 2 different sizes they make. both around 50 something mil or something like that and you can get a small or large plate put on the back to fit the pickup cavity. ill dig out my pickups and check them up with a calipers before i order to make sure.

Dude, try the nailbombs first. They offer a exchange program; if they don't suit, send them back in good as new condition, and swap them for something else.

serious? ahh sweet! happy beans! ill just use crocodile clips when i 1st wire it up so i dont get solder all over their wires - thanks for the tip!

Nailbombs and warpigs are for metal, and having used both I much prefer nailbombs. warpigs look much cooler though.
Pin from Sikth uses Nailbombs which is a thumbs up in my opinion.

serious? ahh sweet! happy beans! ill just use crocodile clips when i 1st wire it up so i dont get solder all over their wires - thanks for the tip!

It's only 14 days after the day of purchase though, if I remember correctly. Tim Mills at BK is a really nice guy though, very friendly and helpful.

apparently the nailbombs are alnico V, which is kindof rare in the world of metal pickups. It doesn't profess to be tight or precise it seems to say its pretty chaotic. What's the deal? what makes these the ones to have?