Iced Earth -Leaked Single

I hope they don't do a Manowar and fill the albums with excessive interludes. Stuff like that can make an otherwise cool metal album lose it's drive. Anyway if the rest of the album is as good as Ten Thousand strong I'm going to love it.

If the rest of the album is as good as ten thousand strong, i will officially lose all respect for Jon and crew, sell all my iced earth stuff, and forget the band existed. I honestly can't believe anyone can defend this shit. I'm all for differences in opinion and am generally easy going when it comes to music but in this case... no. This is an insult to the original that Jon re-did it. Fuck iced earth.

boy, i really hope i get to interview Jon this time around...

If the rest of the album is as good as ten thousand strong, i will officially lose all respect for Jon and crew, sell all my iced earth stuff, and forget the band existed.

I'll place it on my altar of the metal gods and worship it twice per day. Then I'll probably buy an Iced Earth-shirt and wear it proudly.

Reposting my pissed off nerd rant from the Global Domination forums:

Are you guys fucking serious? And I thought Jon couldn't sink any lower than doing The Glorious Burden! And to think I thought it couldn't get any worse than seeing Ripper completely RAPE Dracula and Melancholy live!

Before I start, I want to mention that I used to be a HUGE Iced Earth fan. I owned almost every album (Except stormrider w/ the original cover art) on vinyl, had every cd in various formats (s/t cd with both original cover art and second cover art... not the re-release though, stormrider with the first two covers, etc. etc.). I got posters, rare t-shirts... this was my band. Then ripper comes along and shits all over the legacy.

I got this about 3 days ago and I was going to write a review of it for the site, but to hell with that. Here's what i think, track by track:

Ten Thousand Strong - The only thing this is strong in is the sucking of the penis. First of all, the verse is so fucking similar to that of Declaration Day that it's shocking it was released. At the same time, i'm not surprised because Jon hasn't done a whole lot that is interesting since Horror Show (and even that was hit and miss). The vocals are horrible, and it sounds like they're going for the Blind Guardian mentality of "Let's see how many layers we can stack up here!" Fucking awful song. Next...

Prophecy - Iced Earth fans have done something to piss Jon off, and this is his way of telling them to go fuck themselves. This is an absolute abomination. My first thought (after WHAT THE FUCKING CHRIST IS JON DOING) was that this sounds like an awful cover band. All of the emotion and passion that made the original is gone. Ripper can NOT do these songs at all. Also, Jon "heavy-ing" up the song is just wrong. The changes have absolutely ruined this classic.

Birth of the Wicked - This is the song that is close to matching Ripper's vocals, and while they're not *terrible* here, they're just monotonous. There's none of the nuances that Matt added to the music to make it worth listening to.

The Coming Curse - Finally we have the glorious conclusion, and I would be lying if I said this one didn't almost make me cry. Every point where the song is supposed to reach a climax ("I am your anti-christ", etc) just sounds fucking whiny and completely ball-less. I can't even describe how horrible this is.

Normally, I accept that people will have differences in opinions on music, and I'll even go so far as to say I will respect that. In this case, no. There's no excuse for this or any reason to defend it. The new "Iced Earth" have effectively stripped all of the songs of their dynamic and left this garbage. Yup... fuck this band.

Reposting my pissed off nerd rant from the Global Domination forums:

:lol: and :worship:

Agree 100%.

What I hate the most is how they changed how the guitarr sounds at the riff starting at ~2:50 in Prophecy. I mean in the original, I couldn't stop myself from headbanging to this part but in this new version I can't stop myself from shutting down winamp.

This is disgraceful. The music itself sounds worse than the original and Ripper Owens vocals are pathetic. Well done Ripper, you just ruined another band. How can anyone seriously enjoy this guys vocals. They are equally as bad as Dream Theater vocals, and that is bad.

i don't listen to priest, but ar eyou suggesting he ruined them as well?

as a serious question... who would you folks have sing for iced earth to fill barlows shoes? i think barlow is THE BEST metal vocalist I have ever heard. His live performance is matched by none i have ever seen, and the recording are all flawless, so can anyone actually point out a vocalist (other than myself :D) that can actually sing this stuff the way barlow did? the range + the nuance + the grit, + the fact he did it with ease?

Ripper Owens is terrible, it's not that he can't sing, he just doesn't fit into anything he does, that and he's a poor man's Rob Halford. He ruined Priest, they turned into modern metal crap when he joined. Matt Barlow is pretty amazing, he's not the best, but like I said, he's up there. I can't imagine anyone doing his songs other than him, his vocals on A Question Of Heaven are spine chilling.

The problem I have with Ripper IE is... it doesn't sound like IE any more. It's way too Europower in my opinion. And when he does Barlow's vocals... it sounds like a band covering IE, not IE itself. But hey, I think he's a great vocalist, I guess I'll just have to get used to him. What I wouldn't give to have Barlow back in though.

Ripper simply lacks depth. When Barlow sang, he sounded like the voice of Satan. He could go from very deep to a demon's shriek in a moment. Barlow has a distinctive voice, and Ripper lacks that. Sure, he can get higher than Barlow, but the deep end is gone, and so is the emotion.

Why is everyone whining their ass-off about the whole Ripper situation, it's been years since Barlow left. He did a solid job on TGB, even made some of the crappier songs sound good. The problem on that album was Jon's songwriting. Imagine Barlow singing on that album... I bet it would've sounded worse.

Why is everyone whining their ass-off about the whole Ripper situation, it's been years since Barlow left. He did a solid job on TGB, even made some of the crappier songs sound good. The problem on that album was Jon's songwriting. Imagine Barlow singing on that album... I bet it would've sounded worse.

No, he didn't do a solid job on TGB. Also, if you go ahead and see Iced Earth live, you'll get the (dis)pleasure of seeing ripper rape classics such as Dracula, Melancholy, I Died for You, etc. etc. etc. Also, time does not heal this wound. It doesn't matter if it's been years, just listen to the new single and you'll see why everyone is still upset about it. It's an insult to the fans to take something that was once beautiful and shit all over it.

No, he didn't do a solid job on TGB. Also, if you go ahead and see Iced Earth live, you'll get the (dis)pleasure of seeing ripper rape classics such as Dracula, Melancholy, I Died for You, etc. etc. etc. Also, time does not heal this wound. It doesn't matter if it's been years, just listen to the new single and you'll see why everyone is still upset about it. It's an insult to the fans to take something that was once beautiful and shit all over it.

Okey, so that last thing was kinda' funny but I don't agree with you. I mean.. I can only answer for myself but I have no problems with the new single. I actually like it. As for the live-raping - haven't really checked them out live yet, maybe because I haven't been into them since a year ago or so. Hmm.. maybe that's why I'm not so upset about the whole "Barlow-thing". :p

Ripper Owens is terrible, it's not that he can't sing, he just doesn't fit into anything he does, that and he's a poor man's Rob Halford. He ruined Priest, they turned into modern metal crap when he joined. Matt Barlow is pretty amazing, he's not the best, but like I said, he's up there. I can't imagine anyone doing his songs other than him, his vocals on A Question Of Heaven are spine chilling.

oh god that is my favorite song right now, i'm so close to being able to sing it, but that part where he sings "I know you can't forgive me, You know I walk alone!" thats hard for me to get the transition smooth and hold that note! It blows me away how easy he makes it all look!

Ripper simply lacks depth. When Barlow sang, he sounded like the voice of Satan. He could go from very deep to a demon's shriek in a moment. Barlow has a distinctive voice, and Ripper lacks that. Sure, he can get higher than Barlow, but the deep end is gone, and so is the emotion.

yeah but you can't blame owens for that. A lot of people are saying he is some kind of horrible singer, when in reality he is just out of place. As soon as I heard him open his mouth on TGB I knew he was a whole other type of singer than Barlow, and he is actually a very technically sound singer, he's just singing songs that weren't written for his voice, which is IMO why the new album might not be as bad as TGB was vocally. Barlow had originally sung the vocals for TGB, but schaefer realized barlow just wasn't up for it emotionally, so he let him go and had to get someone, so owens was in.