ICED EARTH The Glorious Burden

Yeah both Blind Guardian and Iced Earth are from the school of NWOBHM, although they both kind of started out as speed metal, especially BG. IE, on the other hand, have a strong Bay Area thrash influence. Dreamlord - if you can take Nevermore then you might like some IE, otherwise steer clear. And of course they have Ripper Owens on vocals now, so if you don't like Halford's vocals then also steer clear.

Neither are *really* happy power metal in the vein of Freedom Call or Sonata Arctica though, but I guess you have to be into it to spot the differences. Perhaps in the same way that someone not into black metal will think it all sounds exactly the same.

yeah, I think all black metal sounds the same, bwa ha ha

Nevermore is a closer comparison the Blind Guardian, but Nevermore is definitely much better. I used to like Iced Earth a lot more, but I kind of got bored with them. I still dig some of their stuff, but what I heard of the new one didn't really intrigue me. It's weird, 'cause vocalists are usually the least of my cares, but without Barlow, it just isn't the same band.

jimbobhickville said:
Nevermore is a closer comparison the Blind Guardian, but Nevermore is definitely much better.
Really? I don't see that much similarity, especially with BG being so fantasy-driven. Either way, I think most people who like one, tend to like all three. In order of preference:

1. Blind Guardian
2. Iced Earth
3. Nevermore (I only really like Enemies of Reality to be honest - go figure).

My first Blind Guardian just showed up the other day, I'll let you know how that works out.

Sorry, I meant Nevermore is closer to sounding like Iced Earth than Blind Guardian is. I phrased it wrong.

As for ranking them, I'm the opposite, Nevermore is one of my favorite bands, I think Iced Earth is good but not great, and I think Blind Guardian is mediocre (NiME is the only one I listen to, and that one infrequently). I came from a thrash background, though, which probably influences my taste significantly.

My Blind Guardian experience was Somewhere Far Beyond. You know what, those musicicans can play quite well. The ballads were pretty good, and I loved the 30 second folk-y part, but to me, BG shot themselves in the foot with the damn gay choruses.

I would say BG's music would sound better with more extreme vocals, but alas, we have CoB, so no.

I'm curious as to NAD's thoughts on BG.

JayKeeley said:
Dreamlord - if you can take Nevermore then you might like some IE, otherwise steer clear. And of course they have Ripper Owens on vocals now, so if you don't like Halford's vocals then also steer clear.
I've seen Nevermore live twice, and neither show made me want to buy an album from them. I've tried, but I can't get past "high" pitched vocals (high compared to what I'm used to). Nevermore's music is indeed pretty good, but the lead singer kill any enjoyment for me.

Neither are *really* happy power metal in the vein of Freedom Call or Sonata Arctica though, but I guess you have to be into it to spot the differences. Perhaps in the same way that someone not into black metal will think it all sounds exactly the same.
Compared to what I usually listen to, BG is all flowers and fluff.

I also enjoy Nevermore much more than the other two, but I have to agree that BG is much different from happy happy Helloween and their imitators and one doesn't have to be a follower of the genre to pick out what separates them, at least on the recent albums...

I also picked up the ltd. editon version of the new IE. I also have only heard the first disk, and that has been around 4 or 5 times already.

Ripper really does sing his ass off on this album, me thinks, better than he ever did in Priest. ehhh...

Iced Earth are an acquired taste, while this new one has a lot of differnces to it, it should make the old school IE fans happy still.

I hated When the Eagle Crys when I first heard it on the EP. But it is one of those tracks that just grows and grows and grows on you. Now one of my favorites on the album. And anything with Richard Christy bashing the skins on it, is a definite treat in my book.

Sure, the new IE will take some getting used to, as is most of their albums, but in my opinion, it is way better than horror show, but not quite up there with Something Wicked.

And Barlow does sing backup on at least one track. so there...

Evil C

Papa Josh said:
BWD, you're killin me...

Those 1st two IE albums are fucking HORRID.

That guys voice sucks BIG NASTY SWEATY BALLS.
night of the stormrider is a classic. that's back when jon actually had some credibility. that was before he was releasing the same album with the same riffs over and over again. fuck the vocals, at least they are competent. i'd rather have a solid album with decent vocals that have an all out shit fest of mediocrity with great vocals (like the newer stuff).

NAD said:
Well I'm not a big fan of changing original artwork (in fact I hate it when bands do that for re-releases), but these two kick ass:

d293463hswe.jpg

e82607yhhz9.jpg

The artist reminds me of two people that did a lot of artwork for CCG's (Collectible Card Games) in the early 90s, Quentin Hoover, and... Elizabeth uhhhh something. Don't remember. What matters is that they ruled. :)
The guy's name is Greg Capullo, who works for - this should come as no surprise - Todd McFarlane Studios. McFarlane, for those who didn't know, is the comic book artist who rose to prominence with first Spider-Man and then his own creation, Spawn. He also did the cover for "The Dark Saga."

Yes, the comic geek returns. :D

Black Winter Day said:
more a thrash/power sound, liken to early metallica spliced with maiden. here's how i view their releases:

s/t: pretty good, solid
night...: awesome! great! teh win!
burnt offerings: halfway good
dark saga: bland and boring
days...: nice collection
something wicked...: pretty fucking good
horror show: good
new one: this is getting old
BWD has no clue. :)

Dark Saga fucking pwns.

BTW, I'm loving the new one thus far. "Gettysburg" is thus far the single most EPIC, massive song (alright, 3 songs) I've ever heard. Yes, I'm including everything you want to question me about. I have to tell you though, Ripper fucking reminds me of old school "Me Against The World" era Lizzy Borden.

Black Winter Day said:
night of the stormrider is a classic. that's back when jon actually had some credibility. that was before he was releasing the same album with the same riffs over and over again. fuck the vocals, at least they are competent. i'd rather have a solid album with decent vocals that have an all out shit fest of mediocrity with great vocals (like the newer stuff).
yeh stormrider is probably the best. the live versions on 'alive in athens' are way better than the album though. better guitar tone and barlow on vocals. and they're faster.
-neal