If you had been there.. (dt-related, so fuck you mod)

Lina said:
But I thought you thought that without that structure a song is too meandering. :confused:
well, different styles benefit from songs with different structures, imo. but even aside from that, i think a song is too meandering when the music is not consistent from start to end, especially if it's very long. most of the bands i accuse of being too meandering seem to really change radically the song they're playing every two minutes or so.

fireangel said:
where is your contribution?
Obviously nowhere as of now. ;)
I simply don't feel like wasting efforts when the general climate is "let's turn a nice thread to off topic bullshit like there weren't enough chat threads around".

But now that i see you're interested and people actually start participating, i might give it a try in a while. :)
Don't expect anything too enlightening though. :p

For now, this will suffice: if i was around, there wouldn't have been any booklet typos. :p

I was just listening to The Mind's I, and it occured to me, once again, that if i was there, i would have chosen a "deeper" sound overall for the album. I don't know how this is done, maybe by tuning down the guitars and putting the bass sound louder in the mix (sorry, i'm musically illiterate, but at least i'm trying). The current sound often causes me a headache, it's like it's piercing through my brain. But this could also be my speakers' fault. :p

The guitar sound is just a lot thinner than on the other albums...or maybe it's the overall sound that is pretty thin. Whichever, I still agree with you.
On the other hand sometimes when an album has production that is different from the usual, it stands out. So it can probably be good and bad with The Mind's I too, depending on moods and stuff like that. Nevermore's Enemies Of Reality is certainly one of those albums, very weird production.

The new (to me at least) live arrangement of Hedon, and the keyboard "line" in it is beautiful (riff1), and it really refreshes the song which has got itself a bit wornout during the years. And yes, the bassguitar should be there also, but it ain´t.

The Damage Done -shouldhave:

Overally:
They should should have forget the idea of slow interludes on this album because they simply suck - they´re formed of few simple and safe notes, with different instruments playing what the book of melodeath tells them.
Only good thing with these parts, which seem to be the necessary evil of every song, is the use of sampled/programmed drums, or noises similar to reversed bassdrums etc, which don´t hear every day.

The songs have extremely similar structures which are, sursprise surprise, of radio-hit-type. Call me radical, but if i had done this album by using these riffs, it would have been 35 mins or less long, instead of current the 47 minutes. Talking of arrangments, the vocals on choruses are overally annoying with their yahoo-oh-yeah-style (reminds me of Matti Nykänen´s song V-tyyli and it´s verses where Matti "sings" or pronouces in rhythm).

I hate the sounds of this album: they´re so clean/plastic, and everything sounds that it is made using Buzz-Midi-bullshit (no, actually "acoustic" MIDI-drums sound more natural than the ones which are on DD)
And please, don´t start preaching me of how this electronic deathmetal needs that kind of sounds to sound cool because it does not.
And I don´t know how did they record the guitars, but it sounds like they were recorded with cable coming from guitar going to the hard-disk-recording-thing with little preamp inbetween these godly gadgets.
Could someone enlighten me?

---

I start mocking specific songs when this bullshit-feeling of mine goes away, which is hopefully tomorrow, or then I start making godly and super-priceless art of someone´s worthless life, either way.