If you like What To Say / Traces / Comatose....

Frank

Electric Monk
Jan 24, 2003
Painesville, Ohio
Visit site
I've been holding off on this, since the is the Enchant forum, but I can't any longer.

If you like What To Say / Traces / Comatose, then I HIGHLY recommend Jadis' new CD, Fanatic. There are two tracks that are just awesome, well actually the entire disc is excellent, but those two tracks are very emotional pieces (screaming as I just now realize I left it at home!!).

Somehow, get a hold of the songs, Each and Everyday and What Kind Of Reason. They are just excellent.

I heard Jadis on the sampler that came with the new SB cd. I bought their new album, Fanatic, and it "almost" broke my ToW habit... almost, but it's a close race.

If you haven't heard them before, trust me (yes.. those dreaded words) please.

Frank

Let me guess it: you're the Jadis' bass player, aren't you? :D Ok, where can I dload some songs of that band? I always taste before buying.

|ngenius.

I have Jadis's first release "More than meets the Eye". They are a great band and I like Gary Chandler's guitarplaying. But I'm not too crazy about his voice however. That is what kept me from buying other Jadis CDs. I take it this hasn't changed? I would like to give the new album a try.

I only own Fanatic, but.. I really like his voice and his guitar.

There are some sample downloads at InsideOut's website.

Frank
"Don't shoot me, I'm just the bass player!"

Across the Water is also a great one, probably my fav. A life is all you Need is a wonderful song. Much better live! I am sure they have it on a live disc as well.

That is right in line with those other songs! Very emotive. In Isolation, and Daylight Fades are incredible as well.

We actually toured with Jadis in 94, it was a great time. They are friends of ours and almost where a part of this upcoming tour.

I am not getting the bass thing? IG why do you think Frank is John?

ebass said:
Across the Water is also a great one, probably my fav. A life is all you Need is a wonderful song. Much better live! I am sure they have it on a live disc as well.

That is right in line with those other songs! Very emotive. In Isolation, and Daylight Fades are incredible as well.

We actually toured with Jadis in 94, it was a great time. They are friends of ours and almost where a part of this upcoming tour.

I am not getting the bass thing? IG why do you think Frank is John?

I agree with Ed, Across the Water is my fav of theirs too. I remember talking to mr Jowitt at an IQ show about you guys and he told me that Acquaintance is one of his all time favorite songs.

Me personally, would love an Enchant/Jadis US tour... more so than Enchant/SB. You guys would be a dual headliner and able to play more than 60mins. Even though I never been to a Jadis show, the live CDs and fans opinions agree that Jadis is edgier live, something that I feel is missing on their studio discs.

Hey Frank,

Since you like Jadis, you might like It Bites too. Jadis is often compared to It Bites -- warm guitar tones, not edgy or dark. It Bites is like a combination of Jadis and A.C.T Thats maybe the best way I can describe them.

Gotta resurrect this thread, I can't help myself.

A Few Words For The Dead, by Marillion.

This song always gets me. Whenever I play the disc, I play this song 2 or 3 times in a row.

When the second part of the song starts off "Or you could love...", it's like a revelation, which I believe was the desired affect.

Radiation is the only Marillion disck I have with Steve Hogarth as the vocalist, but I sure do intend on getting more. I've had if for a few years.. you would think I would get off my butt and go get some.

I guess that would be called "prognastication", but I'll leave that for another thread. :D

Seriously though, and probably a day late and a dollar short, Radiation is an excellent disk. I really like Steve Hogarth's voice and the way he uses it.

Marillion is a sore subject for me. They are trying way too hard to recapture their past glory. Since Afraid of Sunlight, I can count on one hand the songs that I really like a lot. A few words counts as one, and GO is an awesome song, but other than that, the last 4 CDs are weak to me. The thing that pisses me off with them, is that every new CD they release comes with the press that they have changed from the unfashionable prog sound, to a new hip Brit pop sound. Great, slag your true fans to capture the flavor of the month crowd. Sorry, but a band of 40/50 yr olds is not marketable. Also I think they are exploiting their fanbase with the bootleg series where you have to purchase every one they release instead of letting the fans pick and chose the ones they want. Having the fans prefinance the CDs is questionable, also. I guess if the product is worth it to the fan, than it is great. I sent something like ~$35 for Anorak for a 'collectors' CD (something like two demoes and oo boy my name in the linear notes). I may have listened to it maybe a grand total of 5 times. Also they never grace us with their prescence unless you go to the annual Marillion fan club convention. No emails on a messageboards, no real interaction with fans unless it is a show or a new CD that benefits them. Sorry but they are a full time band because of their loyal fanbase and they repay us with no interaction. Jeez contrast them with the Enchant guys who have fulltime jobs. I used to be a passionate 'Freak' who loved Marillion, but they are out of touch and now I just consider them a band whose recent output is bland. I won't be rushing to buy the next one, if I even contemplate it.
I know that the Enchant guys are friends of the band, but sorry thats just my 2 cents from a former 'Freak'. I will still listen to Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws and get tingles from that trademark Rothery guitar sound or enjoy the lushness of Brave, but you won't see me donate any hard earned cash for a US tour fund to hear them totally neglect their songs from their heyday with Fish.

Again sorry for my Marillion diatribe. Kudos to Enchant who really appreciate every fan. You guys are the best.

Jim

Ummmm...Marillion do TONS for their fans. As for alienating their prog fanbase, what do you call their plans for a double cd with two hours of new music and 16 minute songs? I think they're just doing what they want and feel and that's what music should be. As for all their releases, no one forces you to buy them and if releasing them helps the band cover some costs then more power to them. No band wants to struggle to earn a living from doing what they love. They interact like no other band really with their fans...how many other bands have barbecues, conventions, acoustic releases, etc with their fans? None I believe. Marillion are an incredibly loyal band to their fans and if they need extra money to help campaign from their fans then let them ask. No one's forcing you to go through with it...but 12 consecutively great albums is enough to gain my trust. I'd help this band with anything if it means more music and a US tour

While certainly the last "great" Marillion disc was AOS, I've enjoyed their discs since then and am still a fan. I don't worry about fan clubs and conventions and all that, as I don't have the money to spend on it anyway! I'm also not one to worry whether or not I can have "contact" with a band. I'm just happy to buy CDs and/or see some shows. I did contribute to the "tour fund" years ago, mainly for the CD, and ended up with one of the signed ones (that my ex-wife now has...grrr...).

I really haven't kept track of what the band is up to recently. I used to be on "Freaks" but when I changed my domain name I just never got around to re-subscribing, and decided I didn't miss all the inane and immature bickering anyway...

I do think the band is somewhat misguided in thinking they're going to get press coverage from mainstream organizations. The fact that they're all over 20 years old and actully play their own instruments and write their own music will keep that from happening! They have embraced the internet, though, and do just about the best job of marketing themselves through the net as any band I can think of. Sadly, the kind of music Marillion writes and records is never going to get mainstream popularity, as long as the Big 5 record companies, the RIAA and Clearchannel Communications exist. So I think their expanding focus on selling CDs through the web is a good one.

dt

DTArtstar said:
Ummmm...Marillion do TONS for their fans. As for alienating their prog fanbase, what do you call their plans for a double cd with two hours of new music and 16 minute songs? I think they're just doing what they want and feel and that's what music should be. As for all their releases, no one forces you to buy them and if releasing them helps the band cover some costs then more power to them. No band wants to struggle to earn a living from doing what they love. They interact like no other band really with their fans...how many other bands have barbecues, conventions, acoustic releases, etc with their fans? None I believe. Marillion are an incredibly loyal band to their fans and if they need extra money to help campaign from their fans then let them ask. No one's forcing you to go through with it...but 12 consecutively great albums is enough to gain my trust. I'd help this band with anything if it means more music and a US tour

I agree that the conventions/bbqs are nice for the fanbase, but dont think that Marillion is not profitting off it. They make money off selling those DVDs, etc from those events, which is perfectly fine. But the press they release with each new CD alienates a lot of their true fans. :mad: It obviously pissed me off. I guess the double versus single CD is nice for the fan that prefinances the new CD, but getting everyone excited b/c of 16 minutes songs, come on. Interior Lulu should have been edited into a 6 minute song, and the first 6-7 minutes of the 11 minute 21st century are boring and uninspiring drum loops. I just feel that Marillion are milking there fans for everything they have, just so they can still make a living off just making music. What other 'prog' band (a majority of their fans are still of that ilk) makes their living off just their music. Its great that they can, and I hope Enchant and other bands can achieve this stature, but all these prefinancing CDs, bootleg series, conventions are ways that they can survive w/o getting 'real' jobs. If my future hinged on my fanbase, I would be interacting with the fans as much as possible. They have Lucy (last name??) as the official spokeswomen on Freaks, and do not have a messageboard in which they chat with their fan. Thats how you get out of touch with your fanbase.

Again really it simply comes down to whether Fan A likes the recent musical output (new or old bootleg stuff). I am Fan A, and I do not, so I am not going to support Marillion like I used to.

Jim

mgirishfan said:
The long solo in Jadis' Fanatic is VERRRRRRRRY cool...and What Kind of Reason is a heart-tugger.....these guys are great - I will be picking up other CD's ASAP!

I've been listening to the Fanatic disc over and over and over and over and over and.....

Truly a great find (for me) off of the IO sampler in the SB Euphoria deluxe box.

You know.. all of the sudden (and I mean sudden) it occurred to me that music makes the world small. That's a good thing.

Well.. small until you want to see an artist in concert, but the only show is a continent away.