Ignoring Older Material

Protected Witness

Magickal Theatre 33
Sep 27, 2002
www.mrniel.net
www.mrniel.net
Many music fans, particularly metal fans, get pretty annoyed when bands begin to ignore their earlier material. Granted, it's not really that big a deal to me, especially when the early material sucks, but this is not the case with Opeth, who have caught alot of flak recently with the DVD royalty issure and their last tour not having any songs from Orchid or Morningrise.

Granted, Opeth play 10 minute plus songs, so it's hard to make a "perfect" 90 minute setlist.

Discuss.

(Dear Super Fans, please attempt to refrain from listing anything in this thread, such as favorite opeth songs, perfect setlist for lamentations, favorite angle of Mike's bleeding nose on the DVD, etc.)

i personally don't mind. in fact, i am glad in a way...this is all based on my opinion (obviously)...their material from mayh and on is far surperior to orchid or morningrise. in the case of the dvd, that is something that they had no control over. there are only 2 or 3 songs that i would really enjoy seeing live from their older stuff....but the one song that i did see (to bid you farewell) was 3240823408 times better live than on record. so...i guess that leaves me lost as far as a concrete opinion...i just can't wait to see what they have next.

I don't think they meant to ignore their older material on this tour, I think when it comes down to it they just had to pick which new songs to play and went with what they wanted. As for the DVD, it wasn't their fault... meh, Mike doesn't like the old stuff too much anymore, and they've always said they'll never do anything for the fans, only for themselves. I respect that, even though Morningrise is my 2nd fav album and Orchid not far behind... the last tour was great regardless.

Orchid and Morningrise arn't my favourite of the Opeth albums....but just think of a live dvd concert with a setlist spanning their entire catalogue! They could turn an already fantastic experience into, i dont know....some kind of...hell

I just pray that whichever record company picks them up will make the effort to get the rights to ALL their records.

im kind of pissed they dont play their older stuff because it would sound great live. since the orchid and morningrise, imo, dont have the best production, the live preformance of any of the songs off of those cd's would finally do justice to how good the songs are. since i got into opeth 2 years ago, i havent had the chance to see them play anything off of the older albums accept to bid you farewell on the damnation tour but the production on that song is flawless anyways. i dont know if anyone's asked this but is there any legal issues with anders' parts being played by lopes and johan's parts being played by mendez?

This is the only thread I've seen worth posting in in the last three weeks. I thought I read that they were going to bust out Nectar on the last tour, but took AE, BWP, and The Moor instead. I don't know which songs they'd play from MR. They did Advent for a long time (not that I'd mind seeing that), they don't like TNATSW, BRI is too long, and they did TBYF. As for the Orchid songs, TTIMR and In Mist would be cool. Meh. If anything, I'd like to hear a majority of the new album, provided it's good.

Well the setlist they did the Australian tour with was quite asskicking, minus Deliverance and The Drapery Falls, which have been done to death. The deal was, obviously, that they didn't include ANY tracks off the first two. I think its just a show of Opeth moving away from that style rapidly.

I think the best move for Opeth would be to do a tour with all their underdog songs... as opposed to playing the ones which are widely liked and played to death (Drapery Falls etc.). Maybe tracks like The Funeral Portrait... Serenity etc.

Anyway, the DVD was just a promotional tool - nothing more. I'm sure if there's ever an idea to put together a 'best of Opeth', it really will span the entire catalogue.

that would be great if they played the tracks that werent well know by other fans. it would be great for the people who have been listening to opeth for years but for the ones who are just getting into them, it would suck. i know, personally, i like going to shows and seeing songs that i already know. if they were ever to play a song that i didnt know whatsoever, i would be completely lost. it takes a few listens to figure out how good an opeth song is. just dont think a lot of people would appreciate it. hopefully they play one song at least that isnt widely popular on their next tour. doing a whole set list of it would be a bad choice though i think.

Really when it comes down to it it's best if they play what THEY want to play. The more they enjoy playing the song the more effort they will put into it. If they keep doing what they want their will ultimately be happier with their careers which could keep them around for a couple albums longer and better albums :)

I would LOVE to see them play Night And The Silent Water but Mike doesn't want to so I'm cool with it...

They played Advent at like, fuckloads of shows. I've got about 40 bootlegs and Advent is played in about half of them. Pretty much anything from 1996-2003.

Cephalanthera said:
what the shit? they played advent? where?

Yea, in St. Louis three years ago( has it been that long?)
the set list was:
White Cluster
Forrest of October
The Drapery Falls
Advent

I think they did Demon too but I can't remember.

^hey, im glad you posted here. at bogarts, i swear mike said something about *why* they werent playing orchid or morningrise songs. am i making this up? if im not, what did he say?
heres a thought: mike and peter are notoriously lazy musicians. perhaps they dont play older stuff because they dont want to practice songs written nearly a decade ago. i think i even read that somewhere. does that sound familiar to anyone? shouyld i go drink some more jack daniels?