I'm coming to America, need advice

why so much time in NY? and i would reccomend you go to san francisco instead of LA. but thats just me. unless youre going to orlando and LA for disneyland!

anyways, i would just check out label sites and search for the towns youre going to be in.
~gR~

We have a friend who has an apartment in Manhattan, so free accommodation. Also I love NYC. I've been there once years ago and it was awesome. And yeah we're stating at Disneyworld Hotel in Orlando, lol. My girlfriend is presenting at a conference there, so more free accommodation, and I can go on rides and punch Mickey Mouse while she's talking about hormones and sample sizes in front of people. :tickled:

If you want to watch a hockey game you gotta go north and go see one in Montreal. Nothing beats the crazy Montreal hockey fans.

And I could go with you! :p

I wish mate, that'd be great fun.

If you come to Orlando you should make the hour trip west to Tampa and I'll take you to some college parties bro. :cool:

P.S. There's not much to do in Tampa other than party, but there is a Busch Gardens. That shit's fun.

You mean like with topless chicks throwing beach balls at each other and guys chugging yard glasses and lighting their farts? I'm fucking there. :D

If you're into experimental and Avant-Garde type music John Zorn owns a small place in NYC called The Stone, that has music almost every night. It's a really small place, I was about 2 feet away from the drummer last time I went, and no talking allowed during performances. You can see the performers they're gonna have each night by clicking on the calendar section on their website.

http://www.thestonenyc.com/index.html

Only issue is finding the place, the sign is ridiculously tiny.

Awesome, thanks heaps for the link. This may and up being our most visited recommendation, the calendar is full of interesting stuff and it's about three blocks from where we're staying.

I second metalseek.net, it's much better than pollstar for finding metal shows in...any place ever. Great fucking site.

Cheers, I've had a brief look but will investigate further. I was really hoping The Red Chord or Despised Icon would be playing shows while we're there but it doesn't look likely.

In NYC, go to Hospital Records run by Dom of harsh noise act Prurient and some other projects. If you're interested, go to http://hospitalproductions.com/ and click around for directions.

Cheers, this is also really close to where we'll be staying.

Umm, if you are going to be in L.A, I would suggest going to Amoeba Records. It is huge warehouse of music at cheap prices. Or try Dark Realm Records, it is within the L.A area and is run by the guys in Sadistic Intent. If you play on going to San Fran, than hit up the Amoeba Records location there. But DO NOT MISS Aquarius Records! Amazing store if your into a ton of genres, including the best black metal selection I have ever seen.

Cool, thanks muchly. Yeah Amoeba is not far from where we're staying in L.A, will check it out for sure.

For metal concerts Sigh is playing in NYC on Sept 16. Amorphis in NYC on Sept 29. Obituary/Unleashed play in NYC on Oct 5. Overkill play in NJ on Oct 18 which is about a 1 hour train ride from NYC.

Yeah that Obituary gig could be a goer. Wouldn't mind the Overkill gig, but we'll be gone by then. Thanks anyway.

Go to Generation records while in NYC.... www.generationrecordsnyc.com

Sweet, I'll add it to the list. Cheers.

You have to visit unknown when you're in LA *nudge nudge*

definitely check out Amoeba. Fucking amazing store. You'll blow all of your money there.

as far as metal shows in LA go, http://www.moshking.com/ is where you want to check.

if you're staying near Amoeba, that means you'll be in hollywood/downtownish. Walk down Hollywood Blvd and check out the Chinese Theater and all the freaks in front of it. Walk by the Scientology headquarters and get harassed.

Go check out the Getty museum...it's an amazing art museum (if you and the Mrs are art fans)

You have to visit unknown when you're in LA *nudge nudge*

definitely check out Amoeba. Fucking amazing store. You'll blow all of your money there.

as far as metal shows in LA go, http://www.moshking.com/ is where you want to check.

if you're staying near Amoeba, that means you'll be in hollywood/downtownish. Walk down Hollywood Blvd and check out the Chinese Theater and all the freaks in front of it. Walk by the Scientology headquarters and get harassed.

Go check out the Getty museum...it's an amazing art museum (if you and the Mrs are art fans)

Thanks. We're only in LA for a couple of days unfortunately, but I'd be up for hooking up for sure if possible. You could be our tour guide :tickled: We're staying at a hotel on Sunset Blvd, I can't remember the name. Yeah the museum sounds like a must-see.

my friend recently went to new york, got lost, walked for hours, had a hooker try to rape, him and a bunch of other shit.

My girlfriend has been to New York many times and knows her way around so there's not much chance of that happening.

Not worth it. Typical steak house that serves a fried onion as its signature dish.

Yeah I was just thinking of going and ordering some chips and having a good hearty lol at the decor really.

Actually Outback is pretty good. Not five star restaurant calibur but still good.

And while you're at the Scientology HQ, burn it to the ground

Metalseek for concerts.
As for NY music:
Generation Records has a really awesome new+used selection of metal and other stuff too
Hospital Records is cool too

Yeah. Nothing used, but the new stuff collection is pretty good. Not a place to go if you're on a budget, but good stuff.

Yeah Hospital Records is just around the corner from where we're staying, will definitely give it a look.

Haven't been able to find much of anything on Metalseek...

it found a show with max capacity 76 so I'd say that means there's nothing. If you expand the search to the areas around ny and la it might find more.

Oh sweet. You're staying on Sunset, so you'll be on the same street as the following:
Amoeba Records
Guitar Center
Sam Ash
Mesa Boogie
Carvin

...and most importantly:
ROSCOE'S CHICKEN AND WAFFLES