I'm confused. EMG 81/85 pups

abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
I want to buy a 85 very soon but I'm confused as to which pickup I should change.

Do most of you change the neck pickup?

I hear it's beefier than the 81 and since I play the bridge most of the time I guess it would be advisable to switch that one?

My setup is 81 (bridge) and 60 (neck)

I'd strongly recommend trying the 81 and 85 extensively in the bridge, cuz it really does depend on the guitar and it's so easy to switch with the quick connect (I tried the 85 in the bridge of my ESP EC-400, but I went back to its stock 81 cuz the 85 was too flubby, but in my RG, the 81 is WAY too shrill in the bridge, and the 85 rules). I really wanna try a 60 in the neck after what I've heard here, but I HATE HATE HATE the 85 in the neck (I had there it in the aforementioned really bright RG, and even then it was too flubby)

Metaltastic speaks the truth. I would echo his sentiments verbatim...in the end trying both the 85 and the 81 in various guitars will be the only way to know what will work for YOU. FWIW I also found the 85 was not my choice as a neck p/u, but sounded GOD in the bridge position of an otherwise so so parts superstrat...81 was NOT the right p/u for that particular guitar. Heed Metaltastic's recommendation, experiment.

Depends on the axe - in mahogany, I prefer an 81. Everywhere else, 85 is usually tits.

DSS has the right idea... ...Tried an 85 in the bridge of my Hellraiser and it seemed to be a little too floppy compared to an 81. But an 85 in the bridge of my Warlock worked wonders. The key is to experiment. Make comparison tracks & come back the next day with fresh ears & judge.

That being said, I've got an EMG "H" (single coil in humbucker space) in the neck of my Jackson V & it's one of the most amazing clean tones I've ever heard.... almost harp-like.

I suggest keeping the 81 if your guitar is made out of mahogany. I've found in my personal experiments that the 85 sounds best in the bridge when you have a real rock solid maple guitar. Just sounds better to my ears personally.

I've used a 85 in the bridge for a few years now. It definitely sounds more full. I thought it was too boassy/boomy for the neck position even when I lowered the Low E side a bunch.

I'll be selling an ol' school 85 soon too though. After 12 years of EMG's I'm gonna put a DiMarzio Evolution in my guitar. One of the best things about the EMG's I've found is that they don't feedback as easily in a stage situation. FWIW, that might be because I went from stock 80's guitar pickups to the EMG's. It was like night and day of course. But more and more, none of the players I like use EMG's. I suspect there is a reason and I'm going to find out first hand.

Haha, well we're not much different following the EMG herd either, 006 :lol: It's like the goth kids on South Park, if you wanna be a nonconformist, all you have to do is dress just like them and listen to the same music they do!