I'm new. Please help.

Thared

Oct 1, 2002
Louisiana, USA
Visit site
Hi. I'm new to Katatonia and I guess Doom metal all together. The only thing I have heard that is really "Doom" I guess is October Tide - Grey Dawn, and it is an amazing album.

My question is, what album should I listen to first from Katatonia so I can get to know them? Then second, Third etc...

If you like " Grey Dawn" you must buy " Brave Murder Day"!
I suggest you to give a look at the " Katatonia´s best album" thread...
Personally once I bought one of their albums I ended up to buy all the other ones, even if of course some rarities are still missing from my collection:cry:

Well thats the thing, I dont want to buy something I dont know. I havent heard this band at all until a few minutes ago when I went to mp3.com. I sure dont want to buy 10 cd's from a band if I dont know whats it's like first :)

I listened to some on mp3.com. Some from Tonights Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone down. Those mp3's were OK. And also 1 from Brave Murder Day, and I think I like this song a little more than the others on there. I'll have to listen to the others on mp3.com too.

Brave Murder Day

That album is turning into a classic.
There are numerous of other bands that try to copy the atmosphere on that album.. Rapture beeing the most famous example.

OK I listened to Drave Murder Day by Katatonia. All I can say is :D. This album is deifitly going on my "to buy" list. It's an amazing album. So Katatonia is "Doom Metal" right? I'm not too familiar with it, but if October Tide/Katatonia is Doom, I'm already in love with it. What Katatonia should I make my next to listen to? And are there any other bands like Katatonia/October Tide?

So now when you're through with Brave Murder Day i'd recommend at first you listen to the other 3 songs from "Sounds of Decay", because they're exactly in the same vein.
Well, after that you could either go back, which means anything before Brave Murder Day, or you go on, with Discouraged ones for example. It's up to you ;)

To answer your question about other bands similar to Katatonia, there are a few ones. If you liked Brave Murder day and found it :D just listen to Rapture's Futile,or try the new one.
There are for sure some more bands but to list them all would go beyond the bounds of possibility ;)