I'm tired of the micing problem (Examples)

Talmaci

Feb 24, 2014
Is it normal that the sweet spot on my speaker is in five millimeters from the edge or the problem is in my gear? I have 6 amps and 3 cabs and EACH combination sounds good only at the super edge mic position (Even such a toxic amp as Krankenstein and such a dark amp as Uberschall). It may be a problem in amp settings, but turning down the presence or mids can not add some body in the tone, which is always missing, except of the edge mic placement.

Ok, guys. Let me show you some examples, may it will help to get an answer. I reamped Rose of Sharyn track because these Dis are recognizable among many guitarists.
Gear that I was using:
Focusrite 2i2 -> Palmer Dacappo -> Bogner Uberschall Rev. Blue without boosting -> Krank Revolution 1x12|Mesa oversized 4x12.
The cable between Reamp box and Amp is 1m.
I was using only Limiter on the master bus and nothing else.

Bogner Settings - All knobs on 13 O'clock, except Middle (11 O'clock), Master (12 O'clock).

1. Bogner Uberschall -> Krank Revolution [Between center and Cap Egde)

2. Bogner Uberschall -> Krank Revolution [Center of the cone]

3. Bogner Uberschall -> Krank Revolution [Extreme Cone Egde]

4. Bogner Uberschall -> Krank Revolution [Angle]

5. Bogner Uberschall -> Krank Revolution [Angle2]

6. Bogner Uberschall -> Krank Revolution [Farther ~35 cm]

7. Bogner Uberschall -> Mesa Oversized

Cap Egde

Cone Egde

And for the end. Yesterday I was reamping another track with Krank without a boost. Was trying to find sweet spot for about 4 hours. Can not remember the position of the mic, but it was near the cone edge 100%. That it is:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a bad case of shitty cabinet. 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 with the same speakers won't sound the same. The smaller, the stuffier it gets. I have several 4x12 and a couple of 2x12. I never use the 2x12 for recording.

Edit: Scratch that, only listened to the Rev, I think the shure 545 might be the culprit. I had a vintage one and it sounded horrible, I had to replace the capsule, now it sounds fine.

IMO the Krank rev 112 sounds pretty terrible in these clips, the Mesa sounds a lot better. The Mesa cap edge clip is the clear winner for me.

I think that it sounds shitty with Krank cab as well as with Mesa... I also think that my Shure is in dying condition

The first clip with the Mesa cab sounds fine, but yea, the Krank stuff sounds hollow and lifeless.

Best one is CLEARLY Mesa cap edge (slightly too bright, a few cm further from the centre will help, or losing some treble/presence on the amp)
And the last one is pretty good too.

That Krank cab sounds absolutely awful.

Thank you for all the answers. That's how it sounds without drums and bass. (two takes for each side: 2 one the cap edge and 2 on the middle of the cone.

Last edited by a moderator: