I'm watching Bruno and I don't think I can finish it

"food culture" is something the UK and the US are lacking of. It doesn't matte that you have many "food options" or the fact that probably some of the best Indian food is actually in Britain (I swear! I never had better Indian like this little joint in Ipswitch)
The US has some of the best restaurants and places to eat that I have ever seen, but the 'culture' is lacking.
Most people (not everyone... but most) don't know shit about cooking nor 'food'. They think that if you open a can
and dump it in the oven it's casserole... Or dip everything in BBQ sauce and think it's tasty...
or dump in some fucking gross Campbell soup can to "spice it up" OR yes, add bacon to just about everything.
There is no "cooking from scratch" culture, no local food culture either...
The US got it from the brits! I blame you guys!!!! ;)

Sure, there are exceptions to my generalizations (Like Derick, or Warrel) who definitely know their foods, but it's rare.

It's all good though, there are plenty of other things to shadow that.

"food culture" is something the UK and the US are lacking of. It doesn't matte that you have many "food options" or the fact that probably some of the best Indian food is actually in Britain (I swear! I never had better Indian like this little joint in Ipswitch)
The US has some of the best restaurants and places to eat that I have ever seen, but the 'culture' is lacking.
Most people (not everyone... but most) don't know shit about cooking nor 'food'. They think that if you open a can
and dump it in the oven it's casserole... Or dip everything in BBQ sauce and think it's tasty...
or dump in some fucking gross Campbell soup can to "spice it up" OR yes, add bacon to just about everything.

Sure, there are exceptions to my generalizations (Like Derick, or Warrel) who definitely know their foods, but it's rare.

I don't disagree regarding the culture. I'm not sure how some people can eat battered food daily.

Well, the fast food and some regional cuisine, like the southern one, IS the American food culture. If you think about it highly or not, is a different question...

"Culture" isn't equal to high quality.

Italian seafood is disgusting. Italians have really good food ingredients in their dishes so they rarely use any sort of spices or extra flavoring besides rosemary or salt and pepper or basil or oregano. Hence, they rarely season or spice their seafood, which ends up tasting like they just pulled it out of the ocean and gave it to you. When they put it in pasta dishes it's the pasta that tastes so good, not the seafood.

Our food in Louisiana is on par and sometimes surpasses some of the food here, especially with seafood. But southern food as a whole, while being quite heavy, is usually very good. There is a right way and a wrong way to eat fried food.

<3 food thread

For lunch today I'm having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a salad of spinach, carrots, and spicy sprouts, drizzled with olive oil.

This is hilarious because all these things are true!

You have me rolling with the campbell soup to spice it up hahahahahah

ahahahhaha

It's all good though, there are plenty of other things to shadow that.

America as a whole doesn't have a food culture, but specific places within America have their own well-established food cultures, just like anywhere else

If you don't live in the US you can't use American cookbooks unless you know the ingredients to all the canned soup because apparently no one under the age of 75 knows how to make anything from scratch there anymore.

"Use one can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup"

Or not. Cream of Mushroom soup is just bescamela with bits of mushrooms in it...you'd be surprised at how many people don't know that or what bescamela is in the first place or how to make it.

If you don't live in the US you can't use American cookbooks unless you know the ingredients to all the canned soup because apparently no one under the age of 75 knows how to make anything from scratch there anymore.

"Use one can of Campbell's(tm)(r) Brand Cream of Mushroom Soup"

fixed.

Not entirely true, however. My mom makes buttermilk pie all the time. Yum.

If we're denigrating American food culture, then I request the rest of the world immediately stop cooking with the following New World foods:

Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Common Bean (just about anything with bean in the name is actually a cultivar of this species)
Squashes
Tomatoes
Avocados
Peppers
Maize
Strawberries
Blueberries
Cranberries
Chocolate
Vanilla
Pecans
Peanuts
Cashews
Turkey

What's that? You've got nothing left? Oh shit, son.

You basically just shat all over the defining cultural characteristic of our country. :loco:

:lol: Scampi and chips are a favourite, but I'd find it pretty nauseating/unhealthy to eat that stuff every day.

But while I'm at it, I refrained from buying a 12-pack of Irn Bru today.

<3 food thread

For lunch today I'm having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Always found it strange how that's an accepted combination, but whenever somebody sees I've put jam (or "jelly") and cheese on the same piece of bread, they go mad.

I have been known to top my peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a slice of American cheese.

Although that doesn't really fit the vibe of my pb&j sandwiches these days, Whole wheat bread, natural peanut butter, and fruit preserves.

The kraft slice goes best on white bread with Jif and sugary jelly.

If we're denigrating American food culture, then I request the rest of the world immediately stop cooking with the following New World foods:

Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Common Bean (just about anything with bean in the name is actually a cultivar of this species)
Squashes
Tomatoes
Avocados
Peppers
Maize
Strawberries
Blueberries
Cranberries
Chocolate
Vanilla
Pecans
Peanuts
Cashews
Turkey

What's that? You've got nothing left? Oh shit, son.

Tomatoes came from South and Central America.

Avocados came from Mexico and were cultivated in South America.

Chocolate came from the Indians in South America.

The potato came from the Andes in South America.

I see your point, but we're talking American cooking culture, not food from North and South America. Also, pecans are fucking gross. My entire family loves them and while I can tolerate pecan pie, eating pecans makes me wanna hurl.