Imaginaerum Opinions

Tramz: I agree, I'm pretty addicted to "Song of Myself" right now. I don't think it will ever be GLS, BOTB, or P&P for me, but it will have a special place of its own. And am I the only one who digs the spoken poetry part?

SheismySin: I can't remember if I said this to you before, but I agree with you that I'm having trouble figuring where this is a concept album too. I keep hoping that the movie will clarify a lot of the things that seem to be missing here, or are the "threads" that tie the songs together.

I also keep coming back to Song of Myself. And no you're not the only one who digs the spoken poetry part C!... although I sometimes skip it if I'm not in the mood to delve that deep. It usually makes me a little emotional.. :cry:

I think things will make a lot more sense to everyone when the movie comes out. I think I get the general gist of things as far as concept goes. I know they keep specifically saying in different interviews that it's not *exactly* a concept album, more of a *theme* album, which makes more sense. The thing stringing everything together is the same theme occasionally touched on previously - the loss of innocence and what that means. Or at least that's what I think. It's all this struggle between childhood innocence, memories, cynicism, fear, death, and love. Which fits right in with what we know so far about the movie I think!

Tuomas has always had an obsession with childhood, and that's something I have in common. I've been to Disney Land twice in my adult life, and both times when they do the fireworks display at the end of the night, I cry. So this, is right up my alley. :loco:

Well, most Capricorns have an obsession with childhood, so I'm not surprised that Tuomas does too. But this is really something more fitting for an astrology thread, as that is my particular area of expertise. Sadly, we don't have an astrology thread here anymore. :(

(This is not to imply that all other of the 11 signs cannot have "childhood obsessions", but like I said, in Capricorn's case, there is actually an explanation for this.)

I'm still hoping that "Scaretale" and "SLS" will grow on me, but they haven't done that yet. "Ghost river", now that's another issue altogether. The main reason I'm not into GR is because I don't really like Marco's vocals on it.
It reminds me of the time in the beginning of being a fan, when it was hard for me to get into his vocals. I guess one of the reasons I love this new albums is that Marco sounds great, except on GR. I'm not really into the chorus either.
The intro is great though, and that is why the song is a bit of a disappointment because it starts out great and then becomes , well less good.

I have a questions for you who do not speak/understand Finnish; does it take away from "Taikatalvi" that the lyrics are in Finnish? Enigma made a great job translating it, but still, do you think you'd have liked it more had it been in English?

I have a questions for you who do not speak/understand Finnish; does it take away from "Taikatalvi" that the lyrics are in Finnish? Enigma made a great job translating it, but still, do you think you'd have liked it more had it been in English?

Perhaps there is some slight truth to the notion that I'd like it more were it in English, but generally, I don't see that as being true. It's an intro song, and that's fine. But as such, it's kind of disposable in my opinion. It's not awful, it's just a song that I often skip as one without much to it.

Though not all intro songs have to be disposable. I quite like the intro to Opeth - Heritage and never skip that one (simple piano though it may be).

No, having the lyrics in Finnish doesn't take away from it at all. I actually like it when bands like Nightwish (or Lacuna Coil, who has done this as well) have songs in their native tongue. Sure, I can't sing along at the concerts, but that hardly puts a damper on my enjoyment of it. :lol:

I think Finnish is a beautiful language; it sounds so melodic and complex (just like Nightwish's music!). :)

I think Finnish is a beautiful language; it sounds so melodic and complex (just like Nightwish's music!). :)

I agree with you.

Nope, it has no effect on whether or not I would like it.

I have to say, I totally love the instrumental version of "Birdie Song". Gives me a whole new appreciation for a song I initially didn't like!

Has anyone else noticed that the instrumental version of "Song of Myself" is a whole minute shorter than the vocal version? Anyone know why this is? What part was cut out? I think I need to listen a little more closely to tell for sure.

^ I've noticed that with the instrumental version of "Song of Myself". For about the last minute of the song, the background music comes to a halt and all you really hear are spoken words for the reminder of the song. Since there's no background music for around the final minute of the song, it could simply be edited out of the instrumental version.

then maybe they shouldn't have released a Instrumental version if Tero can't figure out how to edit something without shortening it that much.

I thought I should share my thoughts about the new album (posted it in NW forum, hope it's oK), though I'm one of the people who really enjoy Imaginaerum. My feelings towards it haven't changed since that first listen, maybe because listening to the instrumenat version a few times gave the songs a new perspective.

Taikatalvi – What a beautiful way to start an album… a music box opens to reveal magical winter images through Marco’s beautiful, soft voice. The Finnish lyrics (I don’t mind if I never find out what he sings, hence I refuse to read the translation), the piano, the somewhat folksy melody, the choir, the orchestration blend perfectly together to create a simple yet charming atmosphere for the rest to come.

Storytime - The story continues with this quite controversial track for some. I don’t mind, as many have mentioned, the simple/repetitive guitar riffs simply because they are there to add a bit of a ‘harder’ edge to the song(s). NW was never about heaviness or insane guitar solos; sure Emppu had some excellent ones throughout the history of the band, but NW for me has always been about emotion, so I couldn’t care less if he can go crazy ala Hammet style. Emppu has always been effective in what he does. For me ‘simple is better’ when you have such a massive wall of instrumentations (after CC).
The C section/bridge (whatever it’s called) is just perfect and reminds me of ‘Moondance’ for a reason…
Anette sounds lively & playful and really carries you in a midnight flight but she sounds at her best the moment she sings ‘Searching heavens for another Earth.’
Any how, a big thanks to Mr. Holopainen coz this song, lyric-wise is awesome and has put a smile back on my face since the day I first listened to it. I remembered how careless I was as a child and how I let myself create little stories in my mind from the smallest things; running at the back yard on a rainy afternoon, the smell of autumn leaves, the wind howling, a broken toy…

Ghost River – an old school metal guitar driven intro carries me into the most epic NW song ever!
Anette’s vocal performance is tender and comes in complete contrast with Marco’s aggressive voice. If that was supposed to be a ‘vocal’ battle between the Devil & Mother Gaia (as some people have suggested), then mission is accompliced. The children’s choir & the chorus are just epic. I don’t mind the “He will go down he will drown drown, deeper down, the river wild will take your only child. He will go down he will drown drown deeper down, the mills grind slow in a riverbed ghost town…” repetition at all; in fact that is what I love the most and I just can’t stop singing it!

Slow, Love, Slow – When I first heard there’ll be a jazz/or jazz influenced song, I admit it; I freaked out. Now the moment the song began, I was thrown back in time… it’s a rainy night back in the 30’ in a night club where gangsters and their mistress gather, filled with cigar smoke and the smell of whisky, a siren-like lady in a night gown, surrounded my musicians dressed in tuxedoes…
The piano melody, the sensual lyrics, the guitar, the instrumental, the clock ticking and my God the way Anette sings… she clearly demonstrates how versatile a singer she really is and if she ever releases a solo album, I vote a jazz one. NW really did this time; they turn the most unusual/experimental song in their career into a little jewel.

I Want My Tears Back
– mind me saying it’s a travesty of a title. I forgive them for the Celtic feel the song evokes; it really makes up for it. Most addicting chorus & instrumental ever, Anette shines in this one, Marco sounds like a happy hippie dancing to the melody (that felt weird typing it!) & I love Troy! Lyric-wise it’s a song about regret; ‘Before the years take me, I wish to see the lost in me…’ yet is happy and danceable for whatever reason… I’m not inside Tuomas’ mind to figure that out but at this point, I really don’t care.

Scaretale
– From dancing hippies to children’s nightmares… Thank you NW for reminding me how much I'm afraid of… spiders & clowns!!!
The intro is probably one of the best written in the history of the band. The vicious children’s choir, the sound effects used, the orchestra, the somewhat sweet (yes, sweet) melody, all elements slowly turn it into a nightmare. Jukka finally uses all his limps again to a thunderous drum demonstration & I love Emppu’s guitar in this one. Anette sounds like a vicious harpy from hell (in Greek mythology, harpies were the winged spirits known for constantly stealing Phineas’ food), and here she is ready to snatch your very soul. Marco is the cherry in the pie, literally. He really lures you into a nightmarish circus there's no escape from. Hats off to everyone involved for turning this into the most visual song ever.

Arabesque – Tuomas, go sit to the corner! Arabesque clearly has a place in the movie but why does it appear after Scaretale of all songs? It really affects the flow of the song but in a twisted, epic way. That aside, it’s a bombastic instrumental, (only too short for my liking) with an incredible drum beat, Middle Eastern melodies and a choir to die for. Again, I don’t know and I cannot possibly imagine how it fits to the movie but I can very well see the Prince of Persia being chased by demons all over again or Nathan Drake crossing the Arabian Desert!

Turn Loose the Mermaids
– Figured it would be a ballad but it really caught me of guard. I admit it; it has been a long, long time since a song made me cry that much. The lyrics are the most emotional Tuomas has ever written, especially the reference to his grandfather passing. It makes you wonder if all the loved ones you lost end up in a peaceful place away from pain and sorrow. Anette really shines in this one; my respect to the lady for presenting such great aspects of her voice in this album. I couldn’t possible imagine that even the spaghetti-western touch will fit so well into this track.

Rest Calm
– Quite an unusual song structure. The heavy intro, with guitars and the piano melody is fantastic. I adore Marco in this one; this is the best presentation of his undeniable talent since the old, good days of CC. The man could sing the grocery-store list and sound bloody fantastic! Anette soft vocals compliments his aggressive tone in a very calm way indeed. The way her voice is fused with the children’s voices is really touching, the orchestra is heavy & massive, though the chorus drags to no end.

The Crow, The Owl and the Dove
– A sweet, gentle yet provoking song. I love the lyrics (Tuomas' most inspiring lyrics to date) & the instrumentation, the duet between Marco & Anette is simply gorgeous but Troy’s input really ruins the softness and flow of it.

Last Ride of the Day
– Like many have said before me, this is typical NW but it still sounds fresh. It really feels like a roller coaster ride that slowly comes to its end. I absolutely love the lyrics, especially ‘it’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead…’ & Emppu’s solo here, the orchestra/choir parts are grandiose and they really blend with Anette’s rockier vocals & the overall feel of the song. Quite a live anthem.

Song of Myself – Love how the quite epic intro blends with Anette’s powerful & high vocals in ‘All That Great Heart Lying Still.’ The orchestra/choir and band work perfectly together in this one; the choir really highlights the massive scope of the song and Anette’s foreboding voice. The transaction to ‘Piano Black’ is another highlight; there’s a huge blast of energy emanating from the orchestration; everything is in perfect balance and the ‘All that great heart lying still and slowly dying, all that great heart lying still on an angelwing’ prepares you for an nearing doom, only to come to the… poem. I would really prefer it to be a separate track coz it’s feels out of place to me. Maybe because it’s too damn long, (a few spoken words might have been better), maybe coz I’m not into poetry and unfamiliar to Whitman's work. To its benefit, I love the different voices reciting it and the melody that accompanies it. (Love, love the first half of it and it's better (imho) that the disjoined/all over the place TPATP but nowhere near the epicness and scope of GLS and BOTB).

Imaginaerum – The title track closes this epic musical journey in a very inspiring & beautiful way.

This is indeed a daring & brilliant crafted album (minus few little things here ‘n’ there). I cannot say if it’s the best work from NW but it’s definitely the most imaginative and soundtrack-like work they have to offer us and I couldn’t be more happier for inviting me to be a part of it! An album that needs more than one listen to realize what the hell is going on (or what the hell went wrong with NW) to fully digest it before appreciate or dismiss it all together.

Thank you Eldar for your very detailed review.

After having listened to the album a great number of times, my intial estimate still stands.
I cannot stand "Slow, love, slow", and I've tried listening to it with different visions in my head, but it doesn't help. The song really doesn't go anywhere in my mind, and I love a song with a good intro and a good finish.
I agree with Eldar's opinion of "Turn loose the mermaids", a song that is growing on me, though I liked it from day one, but I'm even more into it now. The same goes with the other ballad, the so called "Birdie" song, and yes, the lyrics are vintage Tuomas in my opinion.
It seems like most people think that the latter part of "Song of myself" is too long or doesn't go with the rest of the song. I too, am not into poetry either, so the poem does nothing or little to me (the part of the dog is cute, and that because I'm a dog person). The good thing is that after "Piano black"one can just skip the talking part altogether. It doesn't really disrupt the song to end the song then and there. So that was a good call.

I cannot wait to hear these great songs live, and I would like to ask what song you think they will play first of all (at the "secret" and the "real" concert)?
Will it be "Imaginaerum"? Or will it be "Storytime"? Or some other song?

Thank you for reading my long review...:wave:

For some reason I imagine the stage being in complete darkness and Marco singing 'Taikatalvi' while the rest of them join him one after the other to play 'Storytime.' (It's all about promoting the new single/album/movie after all.)
A totally epic way to close their concerts will be to play 'Last Ride of the Day' and drop 'Wish I Had an Angel' once and for all.

That is a lovely gesture but it's a highly overrated & overplayed song; they’ been playing it since 2004:yow: They could at least stop close every damn concert with it & find a different place for it in the set list.