Slow, Love, Slow at the Keyclub

I Want My Tears Back at the Keyclub

The Islander

Song of Myself + Last Ride of the Day

The Poet And The Pendulum

Review of the Keyclub gig by Jake Ruston --> *here*

Awesome! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Enigma, I will have a look later today! Oh how I wish I had been a fly on the wall...

This is my personal, somewhat trained opinon. She sounds great on Scaretale, but like crap on Amaranth and she's not PROJECTING ENOUGH on I Want My Tears Back. She's relying too much on her microphone, and yes, that's been one of my biggest complaints.

Well, I couldn't make it to the in-store signing tonight, but I did try my best. :( These things happen.

Melisan: I'm sorry I didn't get to meet up with you! I have no idea who you might have been in line; no one seemed to post over at the thread I made about OSAers attending the show, other than NoDoubtaholic, and I went to the show with her!

Sonadorita: It was such a pleasure to meet you yesterday; sorry we didn't have more time to hang out.

Everyone else who got OSA cards: hope you come and visit the site/forum soon.

I will have pictures when I get back from L.A.; I'm borrowing a friend's computer so my online time is pretty limited. :lol:

The show was amazing; when I heard "Planet Hell" was going to be included, that was one song I was definitely wary about, and it's one of my favorites. But damned if Anette didn't pull it off again; her talent of taking the old-era songs and making them totally her own.

I texted Taimi the setlist, so it should be on our Twitter/Facebook. I have gotten so many texts over the last 24 hours that the texts I sent to her have been erased. :(

The only "disappointment", if you can call it that, was that this was the first time I have EVER gone to a Nightwish show and NOT heard "Higher Than Hope" with the Bruelands in attendance. :(

I will try to take time to write a full review, but one touching highlight of the show was towards the end, before the last song, when Anette and Tuomas shared a hug onstage and she whispered something in his ear. We were sitting up in the balcony at a very good vantage point, and one of my friends could read her lips and see what she was saying. She said to him, "We did it. We're back."

'Nuff said. ;)

˄ Glad to hear you enjoyed the show, C - the YouTube snippets look and sound good to me as well. It's great fun to follow the exitement of you OSAers from this side of the pond, serves well to take my mind off from our flat remodeling project for a while.

The show was absolutely fantastic. I love the little and not so little changes they made to songs like The Islander and Nemo, and they rocked the new songs. It was great meeting people from the forum! Here's hoping there will be a next time :)

Oh, and there was a guy running around on stage with a professional camera! Does anyone know more about this?

My only disappointment (and I'm not going to put this in quotes, it was quite the letdown) was the ridiculous treatment I and other fans got from the security staff after the end of the show.

I hope you'll all have a blast at Gibson tonight!

We were sitting up in the balcony at a very good vantage point, and one of my friends could read her lips and see what she was saying. She said to him, "We did it. We're back."

:worship: So you're the VIP they roped off the stairs for! :worship: :)
I was hoping i could sit down after 10 hrs on my feet at work and another 2 hrs standing in line, but my daughter and I had a great time down on the floor with the rest of the commoners :headbang:

i read a couple reviews that were marginally unkind to Anette... truth being my first impression when she took the stage and raised her arms was omg she's old (pfff i was learning to drive when she was born)
she kinda did dress like a waitress.... but then she nailed Storytime and that was worth the $13 and standing in line while wanting to pee. That big funny Finn in shorts and t- shirt said it felt like *Finnish summer* but cold for this SoCal native.

All the pieces from the new album were outstanding, Anette and band were spot on. this new album is a very diverse, accessible work that will catch on slowly and gain NW many new fans. I had high hopes *the new singer* would help propel NW to new, long deserved heights.... I have a real good feeling about this album, i hope it starts selling real well here in North America. I'm telling everyone i know :)

My daughter kept pointing at Empuu and laughing, we spent most of the show enjoying his antics-- and Tuomas smiled a lot more than i thought he would. I got the impression that the band had as much fun as we did.

i hope no one got beatup by Key *security* after the show-- was a super nice crowd, at least in my part of the line :rolleyes:
Enjoy the Uni show :)

ps: the guy with the minicam is *DVDdood* or something... think i saw his posts here?

I was hoping i could sit down after 10 hrs on my feet at work and another 2 hrs standing in line, but my daughter and I had a great time down on the floor with the rest of the commoners :headbang:

i read a couple reviews that were marginally unkind to Anette... truth being my first impression when she took the stage and raised her arms was omg she's old (pfff i was learning to drive when she was born)
she kinda did dress like a waitress.... but then she nailed Storytime and that was worth the $13 and standing in line while wanting to pee. That big funny Finn in shorts and t- shirt said it felt like *Finnish summer* but cold for this SoCal native.

All the pieces from the new album were outstanding, Anette and band were spot on. this new album is a very diverse, accessible work that will catch on slowly and gain NW many new fans. I had high hopes *the new singer* would help propel NW to new, long deserved heights.... I have a real good feeling about this album, i hope it starts selling real well here in North America. I'm telling everyone i know :)

My daughter kept pointing at Empuu and laughing, we spent most of the show enjoying his antics-- and Tuomas smiled a lot more than i thought he would. I got the impression that the band had as much fun as we did.

i hope no one got beatup by Key *security* after the show-- was a super nice crowd, at least in my part of the line :rolleyes:

ps: the guy with the minicam is *DVDdood* or something... think i saw his posts here?
I believe you are referring to Ewo, who is the bands manager. His voice is distinctive.

Who? Me? :lol:

I just have POS Canon, but I wasn't running around the stage (damn that would've been fun) :lol:

I'm uploading videos from the Gibson now. Got everything except Wish I Had an Angel. Also, the OTHFA/Curtain Call was split because I ran out of space but I still recorded the end :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DVDVAMPIRE01

Hello all! I'm checking in from the North Hollywood Comfort Inn hotel up at Lankershim and Erwin...wow, what a weekend it has been! My girlfriend and I flew in here Thursday morning from Detroit. We were blown away at both the Key Club show and the Gibson Amphitheater show. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the setlist. Yes, I can understand why a lot of people might have been upset. At the very least, a few tidbits from Century Child would have sufficed. But hey, I'm gonna be honest here and say that I was introduced to Nightwish through Amaranth first, and then the whole DPP album about this time back in 2008. So I loooooooved the whole setlist, although it did seem a lot like the last tour's.

Okay, so setlist aside, I thought the band looked and sounded great on both nights. The guys looked like they were having more fun on stage than they have in a long, long time, and Anette was as beautiful as ever. I know a lot of you guys like to say that older women are gross, but damn...for 40? She looks amazing!!! Can you tell I have a slight crush on her? She steals my heart away every time I see her or hear her sing! Hopefully this time around, I'll get to meet her at the Detroit show (given that there will be one this year) and if I do, I'm gonna give her a big hug and say "Tack" and "Kiitos" to the boys as well! Because really, if you think about it, who are we to be picky about these two shows? We should be grateful, given that they kicked off their world tour right here in the US. They could have easily done it in Tel Aviv again like they did for last tour. Probably would have been much cheaper for them.

Now, I'm not starting a war, and I hope I don't offend anybody. But while we are all here, let's look at this as a sign of peace. What are we really here for? Nightwish, of course! So what if they didn't play the right song or they changed too much or whatever. I think, and this is no matter what genre, that the best fans change and evolve with the band/music. I'm not saying you have to lie about how you perceive the band either. Just be respectful, and spread the love!

Good night everybody, and remember "I'd still give my everything to love you more."

Hey I tried to be diplomatic. Anette simply shouldn't go bare-armed, that's all. I know how tough it is to lose weight in your 40s, believe me. I'll never deny she sounded fantastic, especially after a two year layoff, a kid, and broken ribs.

I was more bothered by Marco's appearance, because it seems to me his boozing is taking its toll.

And yes, the Key Club security were total dicks. They bugged me every time I tried to find a good vantage point. It's hard to see due to the club's layout and those huge columns next to the sound board and they were on my ass all night.

You know Melisan, it's always amusing to see how obsessed American ladies are when it comes to the outlook of other ladies, especially over their thirties. Anyone off from the ridiculously tight "Hollywood celebrity stantard" of height/weight ratio (read: next to being anorectic) is a free subject to harsh criticism about letting herself grow "fat". Go figure.
I'd say Anette is neither skinny nor fat by any standards. She is in very good shape, she runs regularly 3-7 miles 2-3 times a week and practices with a stepper almost every day and eats healthy, at least that is what she tells us on her blog.

If you didn't know, Marco quit booze and beer over year and a half ago "to show good example to [his] twin sons" and hasn't been drinking ever since. He said he also changed his diet towards the healthier end of the scale, but looks like he still does smoke. Can't become too perfect in one leap, I think. And IMO, it's the violet light from behind which made his hair look almost grey at the Key Club gig. In the daylight you can see his natural blond color intact.

(Sorry for off-topic.)

I've been watching the numerous amazinly good video clips of both gigs on youtube for two days (thanks to everyone and keep them coming!) and must say that the band sounds more real now than ever before. One especially positive thing is that they finally have found courage to make new and interesting arrangements of the old era songs for live performances. I'm an old school concert goer and never really accepted the sterile CD-style most bands started to follow on their concerts some 15 yrs ago. A live gig must sound like live, with space to small alterntions and mistakes, not like a studio recording. Can't wait to see them live on March 10.

I'm an old school concert goer and never really accepted the sterile CD-style most bands started to follow on their concerts some 15 yrs ago. A live gig must sound like live, with space to small alterntions and mistakes, not like a studio recording.

Couldn't agree more. The by-now clicheish Nemo has truly been revived, and smaller interesting changes here and there. Splendid.

Just got back home from my little LA adventure, I wasn't able to make it to the Keyclub show, but I must say I was very pleased with the show at the Gibson. It was my fiancé's first time seeing them and he was also very impressed, although he did say he would have liked to have heard a some of the pre-Once stuff, which I can respect since it was his first time.

I loved the setlist and the energy on stage was great! It was fun to get to see the band to their thing a larger venue, while the intimacy of the other shows I have seen them do is great, there is something really amazing about seeing them on a big stage with all the bells and whistles. Plus it was just neat to see all sorts of fans come together.

It was a pleasure to get to meet some people from here as well. I am very excited for the interview, C., it sounded like it went so well I think we are all in for a treat.

Welcome to all the new forumers who were part of this amazing weekend too! :wave:

Mel: So glad to see you got back home safely! It was fantastic to meet you and your fiance after all these years. This weekend has been so memorable, in so many ways. It was so great to be a part of it.

I'm at work right now on getting the Key Club pics up on the site; the interview should be up soon too!

I just got home 10 minutes ago, (26 hours total on the bus) but couldn't help but pop in to see what ever one else thought of the show, before headed off to bed.
Considering this was my first Nightwish concert ever, all I can say is wow! I was really impressed with Annette, although I hated the dress. On the DPP songs, especially Poet, she sounded way better than she did on the album.
My only complaint was that even though I was only a couple rows behind the pit, I was in Orc 6 so I couldn't see Tuomas all that well.

I have to ask, did anyone else notice the pyro mishap?