IMMORTAL BEST BLACK METAL BAND EVER?!

Dodens Grav said:
Damnit, I thought the shitty newbie invasion was over.

Immortal is among the best of the old Norwegian scene. However, there are a ton better Black Metal bands.

I don't know dude, old Immortal IS really fucking awesome.

Day_Before_Dawn said:
I'd give the title to Dissection personally. I think Storm Of The Light's Bane embodys everything that black metal is about and they do it better than anyone.

How can SoLB embody everything that black metal is about when it's not even pure black metal? They've got this heavy/black/death hybridization thing going on.

I usually prefer post-black to ordinary black, but Immortal are one of my favourite pure BM bands back in their glory years (Battles in the North, Pure Holocaust.

VomitBubble said:
Wow, I had no idea there was such a devout Immortal following. They are great, no doubt about it. But in all reality, I think Emperor wins as far as the old norwegian scene goes.

Emperor? They had one good album!

I prefer Satyricon and Darkthrone out of the old Norwegians, but Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism and At the Heart of Winter are great albums.

id say all 3 bands (immortal, emperor, and dissection) are very close when it comes to quality and importance. they just did different things. emperor has the classic symphonic black metal sound. dissection includes a DM riffing style while still maintaining an overall black metal sound. and immortal really pulled off the BM atmosphere without the need to constantly grind and shriek, maintaining some slow melodic pieces (not groove) that other bands like mayhem and darkthrone had not achieved.

so what it boils down to is which you like better, but i think we can all agree that cradle of filth is nothing significant.
~gR~

Darkthrone is easily the best band of the old Norwegian scene. FUCK Transilvanian Hunger. Listen to Under A Funeral Moon and A Blaze In The Northern Sky. They're also the only band of that scene that's still writing good Black Metal music.

VomitBubble said:
You picked up their indisputably absolute worst album. They are decent.
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu youre a faggot

As for the old norwegian scene, Emperor owned everything Immortal and Dissection did with their first album.
uuuuuuuuuuuu DISSECTION IS STILL SWEDISH