Black Metal Survey!!!!

Zmurder

New Metal Member
Feb 6, 2007
I am relativaly new to The Ultimate Metal Forums and im very interested with the opinions the Community at UM have so i decided to conduct a Series Of Surveys starting hear with a Black Metal Survey. The purpose is not to flame one another for there opinions, it is rather to see a diverse range of opinions on the subject of Black Metal....hear are the questions

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever?
2.Most Overrated Black Metal band Ever?
3.Most Underrated Black Metal Band ever?
4.Greatest Black Metal Band To Ever "Sell Out"?
5.Greatest Black Metal Band To Never "Sell Out"?
6.Most Well Constructed Black Metal Band Ever?
7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time?
8.First Black Metal Record Ever?
9.Greatest Mind In Black Metal?
10.Greatest Musician In Black Metal?
11.Best Black Metal Band At the Moment?

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever?-Bathory. But Darkthrone spawned an army of generic bands.

2.Most Overrated Black Metal band Ever?-Krieg. I don't find a whole lot of BM bands to be incredibly overrated. Actually, Xasthur as well.

3.Most Underrated Black Metal Band ever?-I find Ancient to be a lot better than people give them credit for.

4.Greatest Black Metal Band To Ever "Sell Out"?-.

5.Greatest Black Metal Band To Never "Sell Out"?-Fucking Darkthrone baby :kickass:

6.Most Well Constructed Black Metal Band Ever?-"Well constructed"? Well if I get your meaning correctly, I would have to say

7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time?-Tough as hell. Probably Transilvanian Hunger or Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

8.First Black Metal Record Ever?-Also tough.

9.Greatest Mind In Black Metal?-Varg Vikernes or Fenriz.

10.Greatest Musician In Black Metal?-not sure. In black metal you need to have the "greatest mind" in terms of creativity than to be he "greatest musician" imo. I look at musicians in black metal less than other genres.

11.Best Black Metal Band At the Moment?-Countess or Graveland.

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever?-Bathory. But Darkthrone spawned an army of generic bands.

2.Most Overrated Black Metal band Ever?-Krieg. I don't find a whole lot of BM bands to be incredibly overrated. Actually, Xasthur as well.

3.Most Underrated Black Metal Band ever?-I find Ancient to be a lot better than people give them credit for.

4.Greatest Black Metal Band To Ever "Sell Out"?-.

5.Greatest Black Metal Band To Never "Sell Out"?-Fucking Darkthrone baby :kickass:

6.Most Well Constructed Black Metal Band Ever?-"Well constructed"? Well if I get your meaning correctly, I would have to say

7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time?-Tough as hell. Probably Transilvanian Hunger or Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

8.First Black Metal Record Ever?-Also tough.

9.Greatest Mind In Black Metal?-Varg Vikernes or Fenriz.

10.Greatest Musician In Black Metal?-not sure. In black metal you need to have the "greatest mind" in terms of creativity than to be he "greatest musician" imo. I look at musicians in black metal less than other genres.

11.Best Black Metal Band At the Moment?-Countess or Graveland.

Would it be fair to consider Bathory's debut album the first ever black metal album?

I discount Venom's "Black Metal" album only because the music didn't seem all that heavy or brutal like Bathory's debut album.

By constructed i mean the best all around band, from lyrics and vocals to drums bass and guitar, basically the band that has it all, not meaning they are the greatest BM band ever, just well put together.

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever? - Bathory
2.Most Overrated Black Metal band Ever? - Darkthrone
3.Most Underrated Black Metal Band ever? - Aborym
4.Greatest Black Metal Band To Ever "Sell Out"? Emperor
5.Greatest Black Metal Band To Never "Sell Out"? Taake
6.Most Well Constructed Black Metal Band Ever? Borknagar - Quintessence line-up.
7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time? - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
8.First Black Metal Record Ever? Bathory - s/t
9.Greatest Mind In Black Metal? - Ihsahn
10.Greatest Musician In Black Metal? - Ihsahn
11.Best Black Metal Band At the Moment? - Kataxu

"7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time? - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk"

:lol:

I can't be bothered with most of these, but:

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever? Venom/Bathory
5.Greatest Black Metal Band To Never "Sell Out"? Darkthrone
7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time? Tie - De Mysteriis and Under a Funeral Moon

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever? Darkthrone or Burzum
2.Most Overrated Black Metal band Ever? Dissection
3.Most Underrated Black Metal Band ever? Graveland
Dumb questions. Most of the bands that seem to have sold out merely just changed styles when they were out of ideas. A vast, vast majority never change enough to be considered sellouts, so it's not even a valid question.
6.Most Well Constructed Black Metal Band Ever? Deathspell Omega
7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time? In the Nightside Eclipse
8.First Black Metal Record Ever? Bathory probably.
9.Greatest Mind In Black Metal? Wrest
10.Greatest Musician In Black Metal? Wrest is the only acceptable answer.
11.Best Black Metal Band At the Moment? Leviathan.

one of the reasons im doing this is because eventually im gunna put together an article for a local magazine in my town called "Metal Magnified" and its gunna be about 2 or 3 pages all on black metal but i have only been getting into black metal the last couple of months so im seeking out other oppinions to see where the fans stand on black metal, im not sure exactly if the article is gunna be like a top 10 thing, a timeline, or what it is gunna be like but i know im gunna be using black metal because i think more people in my city and surrounding cities need to open there ears and hear how fuckin awesome music can be and not alot of people understand the whole black metal thing over hear so i wanna get some oppinions from the people on Ultimate Metal because they know and love black metal for what it is and understand it, more then anyone around my hometown does and most of you probly know alot more then me.....i will be sure to include names in the article if you wish, for you help...and also i am eternaly indebuted to whoever helps just for helpin me catch up with black metal and i find your opinions very intriguing

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever? Bathory
2.Most Overrated Black Metal band Ever? Fuckin' probably - uh shit I don't know, I'd say Dimmu Borgir but they were not overrated on the basis of their black metal material. I guess Satyricon.
3.Most Underrated Black Metal Band ever? Too many - BUT I'll go with Primordial.
6.Most Well Constructed Black Metal Band Ever? Oh man - I'm going to have to really jump and say Primordial here. They've got everything - great musicians, amazing vocalist, very solid lyrics, their own unique sound, etc
7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time? Man, this is so hard - I don't think I can even name just one: My three favorites are Primordial - Spirit The Earth Aflame, Mystic Forest - Romances, and Belenos - Spicilege
8.First Black Metal Record Ever? Bathory's s/t probably?
9.Greatest Mind In Black Metal? Fuck, probably - I don't know, Ihsahn seems really fuckin' smart to me.
10.Greatest Musician In Black Metal? No idea, but I'm going to go with Vindsval (Blut Aus Nord, The Eye, and Children Of Maani) - or maybe Stefan Kozak (Mystic Forest, Eikenskaden)
11.Best Black Metal Band At the Moment? Primordial

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever? Immortal
2.Most Overrated Black Metal band Ever? Emperor
3.Most Underrated Black Metal Band ever? Nokturnal Mortum
4.Greatest Black Metal Band To Ever "Sell Out"? Dimmu Borgir
5.Greatest Black Metal Band To Never "Sell Out"? Black Funeral
6.Most Well Constructed Black Metal Band Ever? Carpathian Forest
7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time? 1349 Hellfire
8.First Black Metal Record Ever? Venom Black Metal
9.Greatest Mind In Black Metal? Gaahl
10.Greatest Musician In Black Metal? Gaahl
11.Best Black Metal Band At the Moment? Nattefrost

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever?

Bathory, Mayhem

2.Most Overrated Black Metal band Ever?

Emperor

3.Most Underrated Black Metal Band ever?

Well, one must think of artists who truly deserve massive recognition, not just a favourite band. My picks are Ildjarn, Root and Tormentor.

Mayhem, Manes.

Ildjarn, Graveland, Darkthrone.

6.Most Well Constructed Black Metal Band Ever?

Burzum.

7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time?

Thousand Swords, Transilvanian Hunger.

8.First Black Metal Record Ever?

Bathory, Black Metal.

9.Greatest Mind In Black Metal?

Guys from Deathspell Omega.

10.Greatest Musician In Black Metal?

See above

Deathspell Omega, Dark Tribe, Hail.

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever? Bathory & Mayhem

2.Most Overrated Black Metal band Ever? Mayhem

3.Most Underrated Black Metal Band ever? 1349

4.Greatest Black Metal Band To Ever "Sell Out"? Dimmu (but I still like them)

5.Greatest Black Metal Band To Never "Sell Out"? Immortal

6.Most Well Constructed Black Metal Band Ever? Immortal

7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time? In The Nightside Eclipse

8.First Black Metal Record Ever? Venom - Black Metal

9.Greatest Mind In Black Metal? Isahn & Quorthon

10.Greatest Musician In Black Metal? Isahn & Quorthon?

11.Best Black Metal Band At the Moment? 1349 & Chthonic

1.Most Influential Black Metal Band Ever? Darkthrone

2.Most Overrated Black Metal band Ever? Immortal

3.Most Underrated Black Metal Band ever? Carpathian Forest and Satyricon

4.Greatest Black Metal Band To Ever "Sell Out"? Dimmu Borgir

5.Greatest Black Metal Band To Never "Sell Out"? Darkthrone

6.Most Well Constructed Black Metal Band Ever? Burzum

7.Greatest Black Metal Record Of All Time? In The Nightside Eclipse

8.First Black Metal Record Ever? Emperor-In The Nightside Eclipse

9.Greatest Mind In Black Metal? Ihsahn

10.Greatest Musician In Black Metal? Ihsahn