Immortal

skezzmo

The Duke of Suede
Nov 26, 2008
Pittsburgh
Immortal, my personal favorite Black Metal band. But along with hearing many praise them as down to the basics black metal I've seen others talk about them like their "beginners black metal", others criticize them for not being satanic, and they seem to be used more than anyone else when non-fans make fun of black metal. So what's everyone's consensus on this influential true Norwegian black metal band?

awesome band. one of the better second wave bands.

my personal fave has always been blizzard beasts

I really need to listen to the first couple of albums again. I've never really gotten into their music as much as I'd like to.

Immortal, my personal favorite Black Metal band. But along with hearing many praise them as down to the basics black metal I've seen others talk about them like their "beginners black metal", others criticize them for not being satanic, and they seem to be used more than anyone else when non-fans make fun of black metal. So what's everyone's consensus on this influential true Norwegian black metal band?

overrall good... not one of my favs but PH is pretty kickass

I was incredibly pleased and satisfied with the icy riffs and atmosphere in Pure Holocaust. I don't remember much from Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism but I remember it being solid. I don't plan to listen to any of their more recent material.

Immortal=win. I know a lot of ppl criticize Abbath's drumming on Battles in the North, I thought he did a fucking kickass job. He has a very solid double bass, a little shaky on the blasts sometimes but overall quite good.

The drumming RUINS Battles in the North. Unlistenable. Easily the worst drum production on a black metal album ever.

I was incredibly pleased and satisfied with the icy riffs and atmosphere in Pure Holocaust. I don't remember much from Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism but I remember it being solid. I don't plan to listen to any of their more recent material.

You really outta give some of the new albums a chance, Blizzard Beasts had a more Death Metaly sound but kicked ass and the newest one "Sons of Northern Darkness" will blow your brains across the room like a vacation in Blashyrk.

The drumming RUINS Battles in the North. Unlistenable. Easily the worst drum production on a black metal album ever.

I have to agree here...the drums annoy the fuck out of me. :loco:

But overall I enjoy Immortal. They've written some pretty cool stuff and they're an amusing band that really puts the "fun" in black metal and there's nothing wrong with that. :p

This is a band I haven't listened to in forever. I don't have any real grounds to criticize PH, but I don't find myself ever going back to it for regular listens. I liked SOND when it came out and I was a noob, and it has some moments, but still, something I just about never come back to.

^definitely not far off. 'pure holocaust' is my favourite immortal by a billion miles tbh, much of the rest is enjoyable but it doesn't compare. one of the best BM albums ever.