IMMORTAL BEST BLACK METAL BAND EVER?!

Dodens Grav said:
Their worst album of their first five albums.
i would expect the THRASH METAL HELL YEAH dude to say that actually but its actually the best imo :)

"Q: So what else would he say about the other Darkthrone albums that are on the way?
A: There is a lot of atmosphere and although it is very, very hard it’s not an album for the headbangers, it’s for the people seriously into atmosphere. That’s what I want to say."
-- Fenriz, 1994

VomitBubble said:
You picked up their indisputably absolute worst album. They are decent.

Transilvanian Hunger is their best album.

It's exactly what Black Metal is supposed to be about - atmosphere, riff based & minimalism. No other album will make you feel as cold as this one does.

Erik said:
i would expect the THRASH METAL HELL YEAH dude to say that actually but its actually the best imo :)

"Q: So what else would he say about the other Darkthrone albums that are on the way?
A: There is a lot of atmosphere and although it is very, very hard it’s not an album for the headbangers, it’s for the people seriously into atmosphere. That’s what I want to say."
-- Fenriz, 1994

Oh my I'm so insulted. I'm sorry that I don't like Xasthur.

Also, notice that Darkthrone doesn't play that kind of shit anymore, but is more stripped down to the bare elements than ever. Transilvanian Hunger was made to get off of Peaceville.

Even from an artistic standpoint, I would STILL call Transilvanian Hunger only the fourth best. It's not something that can be listened to frequently, as it is overly grating and annoying, with stupidly poor (intentional) production. I don't understand why shittyness of production value = level of atmosphere. Sure, it's the most minimalistic Darkthrone album, but I'm not sold on the idea that minimalism is anything that's very fucking fantastic, and is generally ridiculous. I don't listen to Metal for background music.

Dodens Grav said:
I don't understand why shittyness of production value = level of atmosphere.

you should do a google search but i'll try and explain it to you in a simple way.

Poor production makes the album sound more disturbing because of the realism factor. It's like it's somewhere close by anfd the poor production also adds in that element of rawness which isn't there with good production.

Dodens Grav said:
Oh my I'm so insulted. I'm sorry that I don't like Xasthur.

Also, notice that Darkthrone doesn't play that kind of shit anymore, but is more stripped down to the bare elements than ever. Transilvanian Hunger was made to get off of Peaceville.

Even from an artistic standpoint, I would STILL call Transilvanian Hunger only the fourth best. It's not something that can be listened to frequently, as it is overly grating and annoying, with stupidly poor (intentional) production. I don't understand why shittyness of production value = level of atmosphere. Sure, it's the most minimalistic Darkthrone album, but I'm not sold on the idea that minimalism is anything that's very fucking fantastic, and is generally ridiculous. I don't listen to Metal for background music.
christ will you stop taking everything fucking personally and seriously

i think it's the best ok can you accept my opinion

i even added a fucking smiley so you wouldn't take offense it should be clear by now that i don't consider "thrash metal dude" to be an insult
and yes, everything you say in that long paragraph just reinforces my belief: it's not exactly surprise of the fucking year that the thrash metal dude would not think all that much of transilvanian hunger.

Dodens Grav said:
Darkthrone > Immortal definitely.

Agreed. Darkthrone turned to shit after Goatlord was released though. Transilvanian Hunger is the most representative album from Darkthrone. It's their darkest sounding album. Their Best? In terms of pure Black Metal, I would say yes. Panzerfaust is quite average. It is nothing special. It's nice rocking riffs, but it doesn't possess the power that UAFM and TH contain.

Immortal have three proper Black Metal albums, their first three. BB was Morbid Angel worship, and their last three were epic heavy metal.

I enjoy both bands anyway.

Erik said:
ya definitely because none of their other albums sound anything like it except two songs on Panzerfaust? :confused:

That's right. It's their most "Black Metal" album. They are a "Black Metal" band, therefore, it's their most "representative" album.

haha i lol at the fact that you say that transilvanian hunger is "more black metal" than any of the other first 4 bm albums :)

just because more recent bm bands has decided to copy TH instead of UAFM or whatever doesnt mean it's "more black metal"

Erik said:
haha i lol at the fact that you say that transilvanian hunger is "more black metal" than any of the other first 4 bm albums :)

just because more recent bm bands has decided to copy TH instead of UAFM or whatever doesnt mean it's "more black metal"

LOL away. Doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

I agree with Erik moreso than with numbers guy. UAFM and TH are basically on equal footing. Panzerfaust was as good as these albums, but by the time it came out, it no longer had the impact of the earlier ones.

If anything ABITNS is the most representative Darkthrone, even though it's probably not as good as the albums immediately following it.

I really love Transilvanian Hunger. I've got everything of theirs up 'till Panzerfaust but I never listen to anything aside from TH.