IMMORTAL!!!!!!! in Chicago 2/22/11

the merch line was insanely long but worth it ($20 for a tee and $30 for a long sleeve)...

Those are quite decent prices....so why were people complaining here earlier about Immortal "raping" you on merch?

Absu was good too...no Beyond the North Waves was a bummer but Tyrants slayed!

I hate you at this moment, in a totally unserious, Eric Cartman sort of way. :)

If you're used to seeing crappy local bands that will push their shirts for $15 or less, then I understand your comment.

$20 for a cool tour shirt is the average price.

sorry but I don't see the correlation between shirt prices and musical quality.

Plenty of touring bands do shirts in the $12-$15 range.

Sorry Brian, I guess I will rephrase myself. Local bands that are usually crappy and have no name, can not sell their shirts at over $15 otherwise no one's gonna buy them.

Touring bands can get away with doing the $20 shirts.

Jasiabolik

Hay now hay now. I coined that. Even if we were to get gay-married and run off together I'd still demand royalties!!!!

Actually edit: my version is Jasonabolik. Hmm we should probably convene a meeting to decide which one should be official.

I've love ONE example of this. And don't give me some bullshit about random band A that did it, when the art was all one color or something. I want to see a normal quality concert shirt, on good quality fiber, with good quality art/printing, that goes for 12-15 dollars. If they do it, they aren't making any money.

I've love ONE example of this. And don't give me some bullshit about random band A that did it, when the art was all one color or something. I want to see a normal quality concert shirt, on good quality fiber, with good quality art/printing, that goes for 12-15 dollars. If they do it, they aren't making any money.

haven't been to many shows recently but just from the start of 2011:
CroMags
True Life
Withered
Against Me! (this surprised me, I thought they would be expensive)
Kylesa
Inter Arma

and really your qualifications are stupid...average concert shirts are not like that. Of course they would be more expensive.

and really your qualifications are stupid...average concert shirts are not like that. Of course they would be more expensive.

Almost every show I go to have shirts like that. I go to a LOT of shows, seeing that I work for Swordlord. The AVERAGE shirt price of the bands that play here is 25 bucks. 20 is cheap, honestly.

I've been to my fair share of shows too since I got into most for free during college because of radio hookups...an average of probably 50-60 a year. Most shirts I see are not 5-colorway American Apparel tees. To each his own.

CroMags
True Life
Withered
Against Me! (this surprised me, I thought they would be expensive)
Kylesa
Inter Arma

Come on now...
We are talking about metal bands, not punk / indie bands who produce inferior quality products in the name of being "DIY"

Don't get me wrong, it's the DIY ethics of punk rock that got me started playing in bands, putting on shows, putting out records, etc.....

Withered, Kylesa, and Inter Arma aren't metal?
Against Me! is a radio rock band now...can't afford to have shitty merch.

and plus we're talking about black metal...the average black metal shirt has one color. White on black haha.

I also say that 20 bucks is reasonable for a touring band from overseas. It's not cheap, but it's pretty much the going rate for any metal band trying to make some decent money touring. I have bought shirts at most of the shows I've attended this year, and that represents the average price. Opening bands can get away with selling their one-sided one/two-color shirts (Havok, Holy Grail, etc), but headliners almost always have their good shit for 20-25 bucks.

Motorhead merch was where the fans got fucked. I believe shirts were 35. Fuuuuuck. (I still bought one. Finally got to see Motorhead).

What sucks is when the headliner forces a price match from the opening band on the shirt price regardless of quality. The opening bands would do sooo much better on sales otherwise.

What sucks is when the headliner forces a price match from the opening band on the shirt price regardless of quality. The opening bands would do sooo much better on sales otherwise.

Yep, agreed. I have noticed this as well.
I remember when KISS did their first reunion tour, they had a revolving cast of opening bands.

THE MELVINS were the opener in Chicago and even their shirts were $30 (or whatever the max shirt price was back then around 1996, can't remember).

I guess I can see ONE (though miniscule) business case for this, as the headliner does not want any competition. It's their show afterall. Granted, I really do not think the Melvins selling a shirt for $15 would have been a deterent for any potential KISS t-shirt sale. Though it might be on a bill where you have 4 bands of all the same genre and fanbase.

Look - the bottom line is that we are all intelligent to know that merch sales is where the band most likely has most control and chance to make some coin. I guess if you feel bitter about spending $30, take some comfort in knowing that it is indeed truly helping the band stay afloat and probably NOT resulting in Abbath buying a mansion anytime soon :)

Those are quite decent prices....so why were people complaining here earlier about Immortal "raping" you on merch.

I don't know the context of who said it, but in chicago most of the merch was sold out and I went early. By the time I was there they had no mediums or larges of anything. For a band that sold out a lot if not all the venues they should have been more prepared.

Maybe, but to the bands credit they were taking orders for those in need of sold out shirt sizes and shipping them at no extra expense.

By the way, it was a great show. My neck hurt for a week and I was very pleased with the 85 minute set. There was absolutely no filler, no banter...ALL MUSIC! As for the price on merch...let me say that I paid $15 for an Iron Maiden shirt back in 1983 on the Piece of Mind...inflation alone would take it way beyond the $20 per Immortal shirt. I guess some just like to bitch for bitch-sakes...:rolleyes: