Important Announcement: the Winds forum is shutting down

I don't see how its such a hard decision to make. Forums cost nothing to make, and are extremely simple to operate. I have created and managed many forums over the past 5 years, and its all a matter of bandwidth. This is really a smart idea for The End. However to look at it as a fan, I'd say that you will loose a lot of your forum users. But, as you've said, you use this forum to stay in touch with your true fans... Thats probably why I love you guys so much! :D

AnvilSnake said:
I'd say that you will loose a lot of your forum users. But, as you've said, you use this forum to stay in touch with your true fans...

I'm not really sure if Winds is going to lose so many forum users, seeing as we don't really have that many forum users to begin with. We're one of the smallest forums on UM after all. In other words, not too many of the 250,000 posts from the Opeth forum have wandered over to the Winds forum. Things get buried a little on UM and personally I think we will do better on our own. But as you point out, we use the forum to keep in touch with the fans, and that's its main purpose. How many visitors it has is less important. The fewer the better actually, because then at least I have time to personally reply to a few of the messages! ;)

Regards,
Andy

Alteredmindeath said:
Ah, I will check out the new forum then, looking forward to the next WINDS masterpiece. I have still not heard the AGE OF SILENCE stuff yet due to financial stress. I hate living in a country were if you have no college education, It is hard to find a decent job and our president BUSH assumes we will join his military. With his Less jobs more military agenda, I would rather be poor and listen to music, than to be a rich wealthy Veteran with my ears blown off, a dangerous untrustworthy government America is. I have a feeling the next war with America might have to do with CHINA or KOREA, Bush keeps bitching at them about their nukes. Anyway good points made by Andy and let the Winds soar.

Ah... politics.... to quote Jan Axel on that one:
"Music and politics don't go hand in hand"

So we try to avoid that topic. But even so I'd be much more worried about what's going on with Iran right now than China or Korea.
Iran might be a very dangerous situation if things get out of hand.

Anyway, I think Age of Silence would be right up your alley (especially based on what you're saying here).
The concept fits well with some of your viewpoints on jobs and money, as I'm sure many who have heard it would agree on.

Regards,
Andy

Yes I do like to avoid politics, that is one of the reasons I come here to get my mind off the shit. I guess I got a little too much Jim Beam whiskey in me, and got off topic. Well back to fixing my blown speaker in guitar amp.

I won't have to pay money to join the new forum right?

can't believe I shelled out 10 bucks for the somethingawful forums. bAH.

btw, I just bought that piano solo album you did (Andy) from theend. It better be good.

the_drip said:
I won't have to pay money to join the new forum right?
can't believe I shelled out 10 bucks for the somethingawful forums. bAH.
btw, I just bought that piano solo album you did (Andy) from theend. It better be good.

No, we definitely won't charge anyone for going on our forum!
That would be completely rediculous and entirely against the forum's purpose.

My solo album is probably not for everyone, but people I have talked to say they like it a lot. If you like classical I think you will appreciate it.
Some people think it's short, which is true (I'm sorry), but better with quality than quantity, right?

Regards,
Andy

Andy Winter said:

My solo album is probably not for everyone, but people I have talked to say they like it a lot. If you like classical I think you will appreciate it.
Some people think it's short, which is true (I'm sorry), but better with quality than quantity, right?

Regards,
Andy
Your solo album kicked some major buttocks. I loved it. :D

I don't see why everybody is so negative about the Winds forum moving.
I think it's good, cause The End has more intresting bands than UM forums has (IMO)
so I see this as a chance to explore more bands.

best of luck, and see you soon on the new forum :)

Andy Winter said:

Regards,
Andy

well. I love classical music (i'm a music teacher). It looked interesting so I bought it. It was in a special package with the AoS EP. So I got both of those.

Is it weird Atonal or more like neo-classical Shostakovich/Copland type music. Either way, I'm sure I'll find it interesting.

the_drip said:
Is it weird Atonal or more like neo-classical Shostakovich/Copland type music. Either way, I'm sure I'll find it interesting.

I get a general romantic-period sense from it, though with a strong influence of impressionism.

I'd love to hear more post-tonal techniques used in metal, though; any plans to do this in Winds to any larger extent? I really like the high degrees of dissonance at the beginning of Reflections Of The I; it would be interesting to see that carried forward to the extent of Berg's string quartets or his Op.1 piano sonata.

I guess this will be a better topic for the next board.

tokenrove said:
I get a general romantic-period sense from it, though with a strong influence of impressionism.

I would say I agree with that statement. The piece was indirectly inspired by Schubert's "Winterreise" - of course very indirectly, because even though Schubert belongs to the classical period, I incorporated influences from the romatic period which is perhaps where my style belongs the most. I also used a lot of unusual voicings between the treble and bass keys in some of the parts, which probably doesn't fit into any classical period, but it could be considered impressionistic.

Regards,
Andy

Andy Winter said:
I would say I agree with that statement. The piece was indirectly inspired by Schubert's "Winterreise" - of course very indirectly, because even though Schubert belongs to the classical period, I incorporated influences from the romatic period which is perhaps where my style belongs the most.

That's quite interesting. I'm not familiar with Winterreise, but I'll have to check it out now. I have stayed away from Schubert's lieder and so on because I find his early stuff to be too cheerful and flowery. I am a big fan of his last works, though, particularly String Quartet no.13 in D minor (an exceptionally metal work!), and I see that Winterreise was completed quite late in his life, so I have been needlessly avoiding it.

Andy Winter said:
I also used a lot of unusual voicings between the treble and bass keys in some of the parts, which probably doesn't fit into any classical period, but it could be considered impressionistic.

That's a large element in what led me to suggest the impressionistic influence. I still haven't had time to properly transcribe Shades, but I get the sense of some passages and embellishments which are a step outside (even romantic) functional tonality; these are occasional elements which remind me of Satie or Debussy.

Now I'll have to go listen again, but something that would make sense is if, from your metal background, you used sequences of parallel fifths, or ninths resulting from stacked fifths, for example. That's something that would have struck me as impressionistic in the context of a piano work.

Andy, If possible, would you drop a link to "The End Rocords" Forum right here in this thread before you officially drop out of UM forum?