Important Announcement: the Winds forum is shutting down

Andy Winter

Winds
Jul 10, 2002
www.winds.ws
I'm sure you have all by now discovered that The End's forum is no longer here. Even though this all happened a bit suddenly,
what's going on is that The End is building a forum community for all its bands that will be hosted on the label's website.

We will still keep this forum for a little while longer, but as soon as the new forum is constructed
we will be moving the Winds forum permanently, and this existing forum on UM will be shut down.

Hope to see you all over at the new forums soon!

Regards,
Andy Winter

Awesome, does this mean all "The End" bands will have their own forums now? I would LOVE a seperate forum for Age Of Silence, an official Ulver forum, a Peccatum forum. Don't lose our poll results for the shirts! :p

This is not a bad thing, it's a good thing.

It will allow bands who were previously unable to have forums to now have them, and it will give us more control over how the forum is operated,
plus it will gather all The End related bands under the same environment.

Not to mention that if you multiply the $100 annual fee to have a forum here with the number of bands The End has,
you're looking at a pretty penny! I'm sure nobody would prefer them to absorb this cost by increasing the price of the records?

It makes a lot more sense for The End to just buy the software and run it themselves. This is nothing against UM of course,
I think UM is great, but in these times I can undestand that record labels have to save costs wherever they can just to stay afloat.

Regards,
Andy

I just think you guys will get less users by operating a stand-alone forum, but that's just a conjecture. I won't be registering, because I already have too many places to visit on the Net, and prefer a "one-stop shop" essentially. Oh well, still like your music! ;)

circus_brimstone said:
I just think you guys will get less users by operating a stand-alone forum, but that's just a conjecture. I won't be registering, because I already have too many places to visit on the Net, and prefer a "one-stop shop" essentially. Oh well, still like your music!

I'm sure we will lose some, but we will also gain others. That's how it is every time something changes. Even when you put out a new album, this happens.

I agree that it wouldn't make sense for Winds to open up its own forum just for Winds, but this will be a The End forum with all their bands under the same banner. So the good news is that we will finally be able to get an Age of Silence forum too.

I can definitely understand that you in your position will show loyalty towards UM by not registering, and I'm sure others will do the same.

But this Winds forum was always intended as a means of communication between us and our fans. That's why we opened it in the first place, and that we ended up opening it at UM was just a coincedence, we also had others asking to host our forum prior to that.

So for us, where our forum is hosted is not important. Those who are interested in communicating with us, will, and those who are not, won't.
The forum is not meant as a marketing tool. If it was, we'd approach it quite differently.

Regards,
Andy

I see all your points. However, I'm not really concerned with showing loyalty to UM as much as I am averse to visiting a ton of different websites for respective band/label forums. I'd rather have it all in one place, so that's the major issue with me. Either way, good luck!

circus_brimstone said:
I see all your points. However, I'm not really concerned with showing loyalty to UM as much as I am averse to visiting a ton of different websites for respective band/label forums. I'd rather have it all in one place, so that's the major issue with me. Either way, good luck!

It would definitely be more convenient to have it all in one place, but lots of bands don't have their forum here either, Arcturus to mention one.

Also, that convenience comes at a high price, paid by the bands, not the users.
If UM started charging the users instead of the forum owners, then I'm sure a lot of the users wouldn't mind that inconvenience as much.

But I see your point too and I'm sure a lot of people agree with you. We're just walking the path that has already been laid out for us.

Regards,
Andy

Basically, if it wasn't for Theend advertising on UM, I wouldn't have found out about the label, and in turn Winds and Age of Silence.

I also agree with the whole registering/visiting too many places thing. I'm already on theend's street team message board, for crying out loud!

Some people may think it is too time consuming to register on several forums.
They are of course welcome to stay behind or not visit the new forums.

I spend lots of time on here talking to our fans, not because I have to, nobody is forcing me to, I do it because I want to.
I choose to spend my time this way, as does everyone who talks on forums.

If it's too much of an inconvenience to re-register and log in, then my advice is simply don't.
We put up a forum only because fans asked us to in the first place, not because of anything else.

Where the forum is located is unimportant. To me that's like saying:
"I'm not going to buy the new Arcturus record because it's not released on The End anymore."

We respect everyone's opinion, but we still have to make some tough choices every once in a while.

Regards,
Andy

circus_brimstone said:
To some of us, it is. Either way: :wave: . Looks like there's no argument to be won here. Just fans expressing our thoughts...

And don't get me wrong, we appreciate that! To me the point was not arguing, just trying to explain the situation.

If the flavor of the ice cream matters more than getting any ice cream at all, then far be it from me to force you to have any!

;)

(and let the record reflect that circus brimstone is a proud staff member of ultimatemetal, so he may be refusing to have ice cream for that very reason)

Ah, I will check out the new forum then, looking forward to the next WINDS masterpiece. I have still not heard the AGE OF SILENCE stuff yet due to financial stress. I hate living in a country were if you have no college education, It is hard to find a decent job and our president BUSH assumes we will join his military. With his Less jobs more military agenda, I would rather be poor and listen to music, than to be a rich wealthy Veteran with my ears blown off, a dangerous untrustworthy government America is. I have a feeling the next war with America might have to do with CHINA or KOREA, Bush keeps bitching at them about their nukes. Anyway good points made by Andy and let the Winds soar.