Impulses...I DO NOT BUY IT SIR

I reckon with a lot of the stuff that gets posted on here, people could easily put "6505, Mesa OS 4x12" in the topic title and people would believe it
Same goes for some of the peeps that go for more natural sounding drums.

I don't know dude....

I feel like I can smell 8505 and SoloC a mile away, not that that's bad, but I think a lot of guys can for sure.

Sitting here, listening to some old recordings I did with impulses, and there are constantly different impulses from song to song, but still, the consistency remains - this sort of fuzzy, static-y strangeness, like a real cab recording was compressed to a 128 kbps mp3 like 10 times sequentially, just cutting more and more detail and "life" (I kinda like that analogy actually, I'm gonna remember that :D). Also, it helps that my senses are very...aided, atm - BUT, the point still stands!

Dear Lord Marcus, without proper tests this sounds like royal witch hunt against impulses.

AFAIK, besides SIR is freeware vst-plug, it could also be read like “single impulse respond” (or one kernel situation in Nebula) .

Now you said you’re not gonna buy it, but I’m saying that you will, after some tests.

Here is the test – and its better that you’ll do it by yourself really:

First you gonna find out what ohm settings you use between your recto and the cab.

Let’s say you have connected a 8ohm cab to a 8ohm speaker jack behind your amp.

Ok, now what you need to do is disconnect the cab from the amp and put a resistive load in its place.

That resisitive load can be easily made with ARCOL HS (wirewound) Aluminium Housed Resistors (power range up to 300 Watts). You can build it in a small box and then add a simple voltage divider with two low wattage resistors (line out) to the other end. If you can’t do this by yourself ask some help from a local tech. Here is some instructions for the line out wiring too.

The other option is that you can only build the line out with those two resistors and leave the cab connected but then you don’t have those silent real amp late night recording sessions.

Now you do two reampings. One with the cab and one with the box you build. You can make the impulse using that raw distortion signal you recorded straight from the box as test tone in a program like Voxengo Deconvolver.

Then use the impulse with the raw distortion you recorded and I say you gonna buy it. Its so close to the real thing that in a blind test most of us will be guess wrong, including you. As far as this test is not made its just opinions, hype or royal paranoia.

BTW, with my own tests I haven't get any additional fizz (6KHz or whatever) but instead the curves have been flat when compared the real recorded cab to the impulsed version.

yea, i definitely concur with real amp + impulses.

that track that ermz wanted re-amped, i thought the demo for it, with the 6505, and impulses sounded really fucking good, if not a bit middy.

it'll be a little while before i can do that myself though.. :|

thanks,

Yeah but what I don't get is, if you already have a real amp head, I'd assume you'd have a cab too, why wouldn't you just mic the thing?
If you can't cause you live in an apartment, why the fuck do you have a stack?
You'd prolly be in a band right?
Why not just mic it up at your practice space? That's what I'd do.

I'm not saying impulses sound garbage, I'm just saying, I wouldn't deal with them If I had a good head and a cab.

(Which I fortunately do)

Yeah, I wasn't utterly condemning them, or saying they're totally useless, just sharing something of a realization I had about the sound (and Mikko, dude, it's cool you like impulses, but you don't need to keep preaching the faith, I get it :D). And there have definitely been some recordings of a tube preamp into impulses that fooled me! (the stuff I listened to was all with ampsims)

yea, i definitely concur with real amp + impulses.

that track that ermz wanted re-amped, i thought the demo for it, with the 6505, and impulses sounded really fucking good, if not a bit middy.

it'll be a little while before i can do that myself though.. :|

thanks,

Oddly, that was done with the mid knob on the 6505 at '0'. Couldn't go any lower. In that sense the impulses are a bit limiting. You can't really tweak your tone with mic positioning unless the author of your fave impulses did a ton.

use catharsis fredman and you wont need to tweak the mic positioning :D
that is what i like about it
so fucking plug and play its obscene

also fiddy juan has an obscene amount of mids. the mids knob on my 5150 has been at 1 for months and its still got some honk going on.
its so cleaaaar mm

But here's the real thing that should be considered, does the average Joe listener know or care? Nope.

To us audio guys, sure, impulses aren't even close to the real deal under a microscope, but in the bigger picture, which includes uneducated listeners, it's not a big deal. If you can mic it up, do it, if you can only use impulses, do it. If it sounds good then whatever.

I heard clips done with impulses that sound better than real miced amps tracks :D

Where is the comparison between impulses and a real miced cab someone posted time ago? The difference was so little... nobody remember that thread? i cant seem to find it .

In the same subject, the axe fx is based on impulses, and cleary have the potential to fool most people .At the end of the day is the dude who is using the gear ....... Andy pod xt clip anybody? if he said it was a recto wouldnt you believe that?

exactly
at the end of the day, nobody except us sneapsters will know or care that it was done without micing a cab
and seconded on the "ive heard clips with impulses that were better than miced cabs" front.

also, impulses have definately helped in the way that when i finally start micing cabs again (which will be very soon ohohohohoo!) i'll know what im listening for in terms of the sound i want when i mic the beast up

But here's the real thing that should be considered, does the average Joe listener know or care? Nope.

To us audio guys, sure, impulses aren't even close to the real deal under a microscope, but in the bigger picture, which includes uneducated listeners, it's not a big deal. If you can mic it up, do it, if you can only use impulses, do it. If it sounds good then whatever.

Not to mention...

A lot of "favorite/best" metal albums out there have pretty mediocre tone. Master of Puppets, any Pantera, most Emperor ( and almost all black metal for that matter ). Guitar tone isn't nearly as important as we make it out to be.

But damn it, its so hard to admit and accept that! :D

Dear Lord Marcus, without proper tests this sounds like royal witch hunt against impulses.

AFAIK, besides SIR is freeware vst-plug, it could also be read like “single impulse respond” (or one kernel situation in Nebula) .

Now you said you’re not gonna buy it, but I’m saying that you will, after some tests.

Here is the test – and its better that you’ll do it by yourself really:

First you gonna find out what ohm settings you use between your recto and the cab.

Let’s say you have connected a 8ohm cab to a 8ohm speaker jack behind your amp.

Ok, now what you need to do is disconnect the cab from the amp and put a resistive load in its place.

That resisitive load can be easily made with ARCOL HS (wirewound) Aluminium Housed Resistors (power range up to 300 Watts). You can build it in a small box and then add a simple voltage divider with two low wattage resistors (line out) to the other end. If you can’t do this by yourself ask some help from a local tech. Here is some instructions for the line out wiring too.

The other option is that you can only build the line out with those two resistors and leave the cab connected but then you don’t have those silent real amp late night recording sessions.

Now you do two reampings. One with the cab and one with the box you build. You can make the impulse using that raw distortion signal you recorded straight from the box as test tone in a program like Voxengo Deconvolver.

Then use the impulse with the raw distortion you recorded and I say you gonna buy it. Its so close to the real thing that in a blind test most of us will be guess wrong, including you. As far as this test is not made its just opinions, hype or royal paranoia.

BTW, with my own tests I haven't get any additional fizz (6KHz or whatever) but instead the curves have been flat when compared the real recorded cab to the impulsed version.

We're waiting:devil:

I would have agreed with Metaltastic a few years ago, I use to believe there was no substitute for real tubes and a miced up cab. Speaker sims just always sounded horrible in comparison! but since then, the technology has progressed by leaps and bounds, and I have to be honest, that I've heard lots of recordings done with modeling technology that I actually prefer to a lot of real tube rigs. Marco Sfogli used modelers on a few of his songs on his latest solo album and it was difficult to tell which ones he did with a real amp and which ones were with modeling. Killswitch's new album I just can't stand the guitar tone, and I'm sure they're using real rigs. I actually "prefer" the digital sound in some instances because compared to real rigs, digitally modeled tones seem cleaner, more polished and more perfect. Of course, this might not be the sound many are going for, they might want some hum in there are some ringy bell tone in the upper ranges. It's all subjective. But if time has taught me anything, it is to not count out technology. Amp and cab modeling technology will continue to improve. And for me, that's great! I would love not to have to buy all new tubes for my rig every year. UGH!