IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

I knew as soon as I saw the link to that video that Anders was going to give some vague, boring response :D this is the exact quote, word for word:

"I dunno which song was the most... difficult... to... to record. I mean, we don't look, whenever we do an album, we don't look at... I mean obviously you care about the individual songs, but it's more a concept, it's more an album, we don't write singles (LOL yeah, OK), we write whole albums. Um... and again it's quite difficult to go back and think about... what was difficult then and probably really frustrating. Like, I had...huge problems to get, uh, Only For The Weak to where I wanted it to be...um... but um... yeah I... I think Satellites and Astronauts (he pronounces it like Oughstranats :D) is another song which was quite... different, uh, how it... sounded to the other songs and, and, and... you know, it was, it is a slow atmospheric song, and here I am, can't really sing, you know - trying to, trying to sing and trying make it sound good. I guess that was difficult, but again, it's looking back now it's I can't... I dunno, ha ha. Um... uh... we probably...yeah, we were probably struggling a lot with all the songs, but thinking about it now it feels like it was a breeze to make that whole album."

Satellites and Astronauts is on another level. Great song.

Satellites and Astronauts is on another level. Great song.

It's one of my all-time favourite IF songs, so I was really happy to see them play it back in 2010. IMHO the best solo in any IF song - it gives me chills every time.

Seems I got my timelines mixed up, it was actually 2008. Someone on YouTube recorded it. This was really close to where I was standing.

upload_2020-6-25_22-58-3.png

The DGIM/TJR/Behind Space medley was amazing too.

I knew as soon as I saw the link to that video that Anders was going to give some vague, boring response :D this is the exact quote, word for word:

"I dunno which song was the most... difficult... to... to record. I mean, we don't look, whenever we do an album, we don't look at... I mean obviously you care about the individual songs, but it's more a concept, it's more an album, we don't write singles (LOL yeah, OK), we write whole albums. Um... and again it's quite difficult to go back and think about... what was difficult then and probably really frustrating. Like, I had...huge problems to get, uh, Only For The Weak to where I wanted it to be...um... but um... yeah I... I think Satellites and Astronauts (he pronounces it like Oughstranats :D) is another song which was quite... different, uh, how it... sounded to the other songs and, and, and... you know, it was, it is a slow atmospheric song, and here I am, can't really sing, you know - trying to, trying to sing and trying make it sound good. I guess that was difficult, but again, it's looking back now it's I can't... I dunno, ha ha. Um... uh... we probably...yeah, we were probably struggling a lot with all the songs, but thinking about it now it feels like it was a breeze to make that whole album."
Q: where you even there?

A: yeah... I mean... Probably... I don't remember.

The problem is that is Anders answering a question that should have been directed towards Bjorn.

Reactions: DE4life
Seems I got my timelines mixed up, it was actually 2008. Someone on YouTube recorded it. This was really close to where I was standing.

View attachment 25349

The DGIM/TJR/Behind Space medley was amazing too.

Yeah, that medley is amazing. I doubt they'll ever do anything like that again. That's a good setlist too. Who were the openers? Are there any full-length shows online fron that tour?

I haven't seen the band since the Come Clarity tour. ASOP is the last In Flames album I was really into. They're unrecognizable to me now.

Yeah, that medley is amazing. I doubt they'll ever do anything like that again. That's a good setlist too. Who were the openers? Are there any full-length shows online fron that tour?

I haven't seen the band since the Come Clarity tour. ASOP is the last In Flames album I was really into. They're unrecognizable to me now.

Sonic Syndicate and Gojira were their support on that part of the tour. There aren't many full recordings that I can ever remember seeing from 2008. This one is from Russia at the beginning of 2008 but as ASOP hadn't quite been released yet there are no songs from that album played.

upload_2020-6-26_9-42-0.png

I also found this show from Montreal in 2003:

Despite the shit sound quality I think this is the first time I've seen a live performance of Minus - starting at roughly 30 minutes in. According to setlist.fm Minus has only ever been played 8 times, all in 2003 and only between June 26 - July 5, so it's cool that somebody actually caught footage of it.

upload_2020-6-26_10-18-37.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ciko_gfb
Yeah, Minus is one of my favourites off Reroute. It's annoying that you have to listen so hard to hear all the melodies. If they had been pushed further ahead in the mix it would almost have sounded like a Clayman song. I'm guessing that Montreal 2003 vid has been floating around for some time, but I've personally never seen it uploaded anywhere for viewing.

So for some reason Montreal seems to have had a lot of old school live IF shows recorded, as there are full 2002 and 2004 sets on YouTube as well. The 2002 show is from April 14th, Anders doesn't have his dreads yet. There's nothing too rare on the setlist but it does have the live premiere of System which is cool I guess. Reroute came out in September so this show is 5 months before that. The song seems to have different lyrics at points although I can't really make them out.

System starts at 38:48. As far as I can tell the second verse in the studio is the first verse in this recording. The second verse isn't recognisable to me. Cleans sound really bad on this recording but I think they're the same as the album version. The lyrics for the first verse appear during the middle of this version. Musically as far as I can tell the song is more or less structured exactly the same. Anders tries some kind of black metal style scream near the end :D nope, Don't do that again. Anyway, it's pretty cool to see the first time System was played, many months before Reroute came out. I'm not sure if Anders just fucked up the verses because he couldn't remember the lyrics, or whether he restructured them before Reroute came out.

Montreal 2004 is a fine performance but nothing stands out really, other than the extremely strange STYE artwork :D

The verses after the first chorus are the first verses of the song :D. Or a mix of them.

He definitely does some of the first verse lyrics towards the middle of the song, but in general it's kind of jumbled. I'm not entirely sure when Reroute was recorded but I guess this might have just been a demo version of System.

I guess that it sounds messed because, after the first verses being the second verses you expect the song to go in a different way because that's what your brain says is coming next.

I still own a magazine from that year. It came with system on a cd cd is from July. I remember the song being exactly as it was later released in the album. Meaning that the production was also the same.

I actually just ordered a CD from 1996 called "Death... Is Only the Beginning IV" - purely because it has the Episode 666 demo on it, and it's a cool little oddity to have. I am guessing the booklet will not have the lyrics in for the alternate chorus, but I will check anyway.

I want the Abnegation demo from Viva la Bands. I find it far superior to the final single version.

But I meant that System was not a demo. It was the album version of the song.

Yeah, I guess Anders just got confused since it was the first time they played it.

I prefer the Abnegation demo as well - I have it if you need it.

If I have any problem finding it I'll tell you.

Maybe, since it was their first time singing it he confused the order of the verses.

You might like this by the way... at about 9 minutes Anders ripping on a couple of guys in the crowd fighting.
Bjorn indicating for them to calm down whilst Anders says "you two guys with small penises, stop that shit" :rofl: he starts getting pretty angry, yelling "GET THE FUCK OUT, YOU'RE FUCKING UP MY NIGHT MAN, WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM?" :D I don't think I've seen Anders that angry on stage before.