IN FLAMES Clayman Re-recorded 2020

That's a good reaction. Though I would have started by the "get the fuck out".

No wonder that he was angry. People attends shows to have a good time. Not to have it ruined by some fucking moron.

Anders has some patience, man. I wouldn't be surprised if it was thanks to this that the band did not implode sooner. It's usually frontmen who lose their marbles and start acting like a primadonna - fueled by alcohol and drugs. Aaah, those good old, juicy metal band dramas back in the day... <3

Though some were quite unfortunate, like Slayer and Dave Lombardo.

Anders, Jesper, Bjorn, Peter and Daniel always came across as very chilled guys to me. I bet when Anders talked about them "fighting" at Ozzfest it was just some passive-aggressive comments here and there :D I mean, even when Jesper posted those drunken comments on FB he deleted them quickly.

One of very few videos clips of IF pre-Colony, on the 1998 Whoracle tour. I believe the lineup here is Anders, Jesper, Niclas, Bjorn (on drums) ... but I'm not sure who is on bass? It doesn't look like Peter, but I know he was in the band at this point. I'm sure that isn't him though.

I also can't help but post this snippet from an interview that was from February LAST YEAR.

Anders: No. I will never go back and do another 'The Jester Race' or 'Whoracle' or 'Colony' or 'Clayman'. It wouldn't be right. It wouldn't be true to that album. That album is perfect in every way. If I try to go back 20 years and try to recreate something when I'm in a whole different state of mind, that wouldn't do it justice. It would just only be bad.

Can't say he was wrong, but man... why say something like that only to rerecord Clayman (badly) just over a year later? The only reason I can think of is $$$ - because nobody changes their principles that much in the space of a year.

I also can't help but post this snippet from an interview that was from February LAST YEAR.

Can't say he was wrong, but man... why say something like that only to rerecord Clayman (badly) just over a year later? The only reason I can think of is $$$ - because nobody changes their principles that much in the space of a year.
This whole thing sounds like an idea coming from Nuclear Blast.

From your description on the song it doesn't look as if they put a big effort into it

The interviews with Anders about Clayman are painful, you can tell he really doesn't care. As I said a few pages back, if you're going to do this at least pretend you're interested. It's so obvious that it's like Anders is actually trying to sabotage the release by being as boring as possible when talking about it. There's a difference between being introverted and just being blatantly unenthusiastic.

One of very few videos clips of IF pre-Colony, on the 1998 Whoracle tour. I believe the lineup here is Anders, Jesper, Niclas, Bjorn (on drums) ... but I'm not sure who is on bass? It doesn't look like Peter, but I know he was in the band at this point. I'm sure that isn't him though.

It's Peter, with shorter hair :)

It's Peter, with shorter hair :)

Obviously the picture quality sucks which makes it hard to see, but even the way the guy dresses, moves on stage and plays bass is nothing like how I'm used to seeing him. He must have changed a lot in 2-3 years. I mean, in that video he's jumping around - I don't think I've ever seen him jump at any show, ever :D

I'd love to see more footage of Peter from that tour. He looks and behaves so differently to how I've seen him on pretty much any other live show, even just a few years later. Jesper and Niclas pretty much look and act the same as they do now, you can recognise them both instantly. Anders obviously looks different now but it's still Anders. Bjorn is behind the drumkit so you can't really make a comparison, but from the live vids in 1999 he's still moving and playing very similar to modern day. Now he just has less hair and much more grey :D

That's a good reaction. Though I would have started by the "get the fuck out".

No wonder that he was angry. People attends shows to have a good time. Not to have it ruined by some fucking moron.

Depends on the show. Lol

I 100% think this is a record label thing, we know they moved to nuclear blast worldwide earlier this year not just for Europe, so they would be wanting to get some sort of release out, hence why we all thought a new one off single, but I guess they had other ideas as Clayman was a Nuclear Blast release back in 2000. Its so out of character for In Flames to re-do something like this, the only thing I've seen them enthusiastic about is the new art, I think if they had it their way they would have just done a remastered release with the new art, not rerecord some of the tracks.

I just hope (it won't happen) that they move away from using Howard for the next album. Who knows though, maybe part of their initial return Nuclear Blast was a 3 record deal with the Benson crew and this was a way to get the 3rd out of the way so the next album, the first worldwide back on NB could be recorded elsewhere. Outlandish and improbable, but it could be.

I'm 99% this is Peter yeah. I am also reasonably sure that they had a touring bassist fill in around that era for a while, I remember seeing videos, but I don't have any on me. And then a bit later around Clayman release date they had Dick Lovgren of Meshuggah fill in live too, that might be around the time Peter got his second kid because it matches the timeline.

Yeah it can get pretty intensive once you get into it. I'd take days trying to get everything sounding perfect, and even then I was never 100% satisfied. There's always some effect, reverb, or whatever that can change how a vocal sounds. Eventually I stopped messing around and just stuck to a process that I knew worked for my harsh vocals, but it took a while to get to that point. I never found a way to integrate cleans, but that is probably just because I can't sing and short of stealing Anders' ProTools software nothing was ever going to make me sound like a good singer :D

My favourite cleans from Anders are the ones between Reroute and Come Clarity. They are quite raw and unfiltered, but there's a charm about them that I can enjoy. The overprocessed clean vocals from SC, Battles and parts of ITM sound awful to me though.

Mirror's Truth is fantastic live, and gives a glimpse into what we should have heard on the album version. That song, and many others on ASOP, are powerful - they are just made to sound weak by the production, and that's a shame.

Yeah ASOP is quite a sad story. So much potential there but yeah, while it's not bad it could have been fantastic. I don't mind Anders newer cleans tbh, although on ITM it is a bit overkill with the protools. SOAPF was brilliant though!

I 100% think this is a record label thing, we know they moved to nuclear blast worldwide earlier this year not just for Europe, so they would be wanting to get some sort of release out, hence why we all thought a new one off single, but I guess they had other ideas as Clayman was a Nuclear Blast release back in 2000. Its so out of character for In Flames to re-do something like this, the only thing I've seen them enthusiastic about is the new art, I think if they had it their way they would have just done a remastered release with the new art, not rerecord some of the tracks.

I just hope (it won't happen) that they move away from using Howard for the next album. Who knows though, maybe part of their initial return Nuclear Blast was a 3 record deal with the Benson crew and this was a way to get the 3rd out of the way so the next album, the first worldwide back on NB could be recorded elsewhere. Outlandish and improbable, but it could be.

Yeah Nuclear Blast is probably behind this, both Anders and Björn seem a bit half assed in regards to the rerecording.

I'm not sure if dropping Howard will make much of a difference, they've had this weak guitar tune since ASOP and strange production ever since reroute, except come clarity. It's a choice from the band, can't imagine them being so careless about it.