In Flames - old or new?

Definitely their old material. Their most recent albums are alternative, poppy shit.

Im starting to like their older stuff more and more. The only thing that appealed to me at 15 was modern In Flames so i completely ignored their older stuff but now that ive realised that there is better metal out their than In Flames im starting to appreciate the first 3 albums more. I guess i only really used the new material (aka Come Clarity) as a gateway to metal. I can still enjoy their new material though, apart from Soundtrack

The first three releases (Lunar Strain, Subterranean, and The Jester Race) are great. Whoracle and Colony are pretty good, Clayman is damn good but pretty poppy. R2R and Soundtrack are fucking godawful. Really really bad. I personally love Come Clarity and the last one, but I recognize that most people won't like them at all (and the last one is barely metal).

I'm with you on this one. My personal favorite In Flames albums are Whoracle, Colony, and Clayman.

EDIT: "Melodeath" and "melodic death metal" while being two very similar things, are still different from each other. Just accept it.