Metallica: New or Old?

Life Sucks said:
I don't think that anyone on this board would say the new stuff is better. The first four albums were good, the fifth was ok, but already too mainstream, and all the albums thereafter totally suck.
My thoughts exactly, although I feel they got worse with every album, excepting that Ride The Lightning edges out Kill Em All as their best. Master Of Puppets is really overrated, and so is ...And Justice, but the first two were quite good.

I'm pretty sure no one in this board would, but I've seriously heard people in schools that I've gone to, and even a couple of my friends, say that new Metallica's better. I don't understand that. Their probly just assholes who've only listened to their new stuff.

New with out a doubt, fuckin St. Anger IS some of the finest speed metal to date plus Kirks leads in the song own. Put the rope around my neck because St. Anger is fucking pissed off.

St Anger around my neck
I feel my world shake

FUCK IT ALL
NO FUCKIN REGRETS
I HIT THE LIGHTS....!!!!!!

Ive definitely met people who like the new stuff better. I even know one dude who claims the new stuff is better, and I find it odd he says that since hes a huge Iced Earth fan. Whats weird though is besides them, he only likes power metal, which is all cool, but he hates death vocals and death metal and Metallica is the only heavy metal band he really knows, im just think to fully realize metal you have to explore all genres and have an appreciation for some.

However, up til Black Album Metallica made some awesome albums, just insanely good. Black album was basically sellout though I still like songs like Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, Wherever I may Roam. However, now I feel that they dont even use their full talent when writing, they have sold out hardcore and our dumbing down their musicianship to make it more appealing to the crowds I feel, and by golly its definitely worked as they have one of the largest fan bases ever.

I know this guy who's a huge Metallica fanboy and gets pissed off when you tell him Kirk Hammet is shit compared to the likes of Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai etc. He reckons Kirk is the ultimate. Pretty sad really. He also loves the St Anger album to no end. I voiced my opinion on his site that St Anger was absolute BS and he didn't like it so he deleted my comment and said that I don't understand the concept behind St Anger. I mean come on, what bloody concept is there? Middle age crisis?

The sad thing is that I'll recommend a death/black/prog band to him, he'll get the album and then post a review on the band claiming he'll know everything about the band, worshipping them. Oh yeah, and he writes really bad music as well.

I really don't know what this has to do with anything, probably the first paragraph is the only one on topic heh...

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
I know this guy who's a huge Metallica fanboy and gets pissed off when you tell him Kirk Hammet is shit compared to the likes of Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai etc. He reckons Kirk is the ultimate. Pretty sad really. He also loves the St Anger album to no end. I voiced my opinion on his site that St Anger was absolute BS and he didn't like it so he deleted my comment and said that I don't understand the concept behind St Anger. I mean come on, what bloody concept is there? Middle age crisis?

The sad thing is that I'll recommend a death/black/prog band to him, he'll get the album and then post a review on the band claiming he'll know everything about the band, worshipping them. Oh yeah, and he writes really bad music as well.

I really don't know what this has to do with anything, probably the first paragraph is the only one on topic heh...

Kick his ass

Well, I just realized something. I was thinking about why people would even like their new stuff, but I realized that a friend of mine, a major heavy and death metal fan, loved St. Anger. Mostly for it's heavier sound.

So, even though that album, and all their other new stuff pisses me off, I guess I can see how some would like their new and hate their old (those bastards).

Cliff Burton was the greatest bassist Metallica had ever had. He kicked so much ass. But then he died, Metallica cut their hair, and they sucked. (Not all at once)

Wow, matheusbassist101, your thread is pretty good, but i cant believe there are numbnuts on this site that can actually tolerate anything after the black album, which i believe sucked anyway, but will concede that point, tell me who at our school likes new metallica so i can kick their fuckin asses!!
Kill 'Em All- 9/10, the only Mustaine i like
Ride the lightning- 11/10, that album is tha SHIT!!!! except damned "Trapped Under Ice"
M.o.P.- 8/10, not as good as ride the lightening, not by a long shot, but still top notch
...And justice- 9/10, slightly better than Master of Puppets
Black album- 4/10, how could they get so fucking bad so fucking fast???? i think its because Hetfield went sober, but thats just me...
Load, reload, garage revisited- 1/10, combined
S&M- 6/10 i think some of the songs were pretty kick ass,better live than studio
st. Anger- thats just fuckin blasphemy to think that the same people that made "ride the lightning" spewed that shit and actually got airtime, when "seek and destroy" never did. My friend gave me the original cd bcuz he didnt like it, i threw that shit away real quik

FUCK NEW METALLICA
FUCK THEM ALL, GREEDY BASTARDS,
THEY FUCKED UP NAPSTER!!!
sometimes i wish hetfield would get hit by a truck, then i listen to Fade to Black....

I dont really like any Metallica. The first two albums we're alright, but the rest is mostly bollocks. I haven't heard all of St. Anger, and i'm not sure I want to.

The only album I can tolerate is "Kill 'em All". Most of the songs on that album are still pretty crap, though. Out of the 35098 Metallica songs out there, I think I can name about 10 songs that I actually (more or less) enjoy:

Hit The Lights
Motorbreath
Metal Militia
Whiplash
The Call Of The Ktulu
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Blackened
And Justice For All
Until It Sleeps
Creeping Death