In Flames REROUTE TO REMAIN

A picture of new Emperor don't make much difference.

*sighs*

Okay... 'Prometheus' is hardly black metal anymore (reminds me more of an odd prog/blackened death album), but does that automatically invalidate it? I personally love it... not one of Emperor's best, but still good.

My mistake mr. 2nd poster in this thread (sorry, I can't remember your name at the moment. Please forgive me :p). However, I do kinda agree with you... The mainstream for some reason is turning its beady eyes on underground metal, and is seeing fit to do some promotion... hell, they rated Damage Done as 4/5 in Kerrang. Theres a difference between taking advantage of this attitude, and aiming to milk it...

exorial: Haven? PROJECTOR?? Mistakes?
IMNAAHO you need your ears washed out...

Wanderingblade
"exorial: Haven? PROJECTOR?? Mistakes?
IMNAAHO you need your ears washed out..."

When you consider The Gallery to be DT's crowning achievement like I do, you would understand why I see poth Projector and Haven paling in comparison. And it seems quite obvious to me that DT knew they made some mistakes as well.

For example, the clean vocals on Projector vanished on Haven. Why? Maybe they realized that cleans aren't Stanne's strength. To me, the music on Haven was completely uninspired, especially compared to The Gallery. It seems DT noticed this as well, as we can see on Damage Done that they have indeed gone back to the sounds that made The Gallery great. If Haven and Projector can be considered experiments and learning processes for DT, helping them to arrive at Damage Done, then perhaps my use of the word "mistakes" for those albums may have been overly harsh.

I'm just glad that DT have come full circle with their sound, delivering Damage Done after discovering what didn't work with Haven and Projector.

As long as Dark Tranquillity dont become nu like (supposedly) In Flames, I'll still buy their records.

The Gallery is DT's best.

Oh Jeff, Jeff, Jeff. In Flames is NOT going to be nu-metal dammit! And if it is, I'll eat the CD. Well, at least the jacket/booklet. And if you're all lucky, I'll film it, and upload the mpeg for your laughter and enjoyment. Did this same metal/nu-metal thing pop up when Tagtren released "Catch 22" w/ Hypocrisy? That album's got some down-tuned stuff on it (still love it, but hey...) as well...

I'm just basing the whole nu/IF thing on other people's opinions. I will definitely listen to the album and perhaps buy the album based on a listen or two.

BTW, I didn't like Catch 22.

I downloaded the entire thing and I don't hear these "p.o.d. / nu-metal" comparisons at all! It different, yes, but IMO they're trying to catch SOILWORK. I like it...

Originally posted by MSPelata
I downloaded the entire thing and I don't hear these "p.o.d. / nu-metal" comparisons at all! It different, yes, but IMO they're trying to catch SOILWORK. I like it...

If that's the case (and I hope it is), then some of us (read: ME) will be satisfied & happy. Some of us (read: Dreamlord) will also NOT be satisfied & happy. :D

exorial: Personally, the Gallery is my favourite album of theirs... along with Projector. I love the cleans on Projector, and was a sad fanboy when they changed them (the reasons for which can be found in any of a number of interviews scattered over the net)

Agree to disagree?

Dreamlord,

I agree with that review 110%. I also agree with your previous post about being skeptical about them trying to catch Soilwork, as well as your dislike of Hypocrisy's Catch 22. Seems like our tastes are pretty damn similar!

PM me and I can hook you up with R2R, so you can see what crap it is and won't waste your money buying this worthless disc.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Here's a link to a review of RtR and I usually agree with this website. So.....http://www.metal-observer.com/gb/reviews/rev621.html

Completely agreed Jeff. Metal Observer is on my short list of "trusted" review sites, and that person does a good job at being non-partial and informative at the same time (not an easy task when reviewing a band you've come to love).

It is certainly disappointing to hear that "...Secondly, they have more chug on this record than a college keg party. There's not enough of that true dual IN FLAMES sound, more Americanized GODSMACK-isms. If you're looking for great guitar leads, you are in the wrong room..."

The Iron Maiden school of twin-guitar leads is what made me love In Flames. If it's gone...hmm, that will certainly color my opinion. I will of course buy this album. I have the disposable income to support the bands that deserve it. But I won't be happy if it's a turn for the worse.

Lastly, everyone should remember this: The only opinion worth trusting is one you come up with yourself.

Originally posted by exorial
Dreamlord, PM me and I can hook you up with R2R, so you can see what crap it is and won't waste your money buying this worthless disc.

Hey! Dreamlord has stolen all his taste in music from me! So where's my copy of R2R? I need to hear it!

Wanderingblade,

Yes, agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, I love DT. I used to like In Flames more, but now that I see what direction both bands are headed in, DT is looking better by the day.

I'm not a fan of clean vocals in melo-death to begin with, so you can see where a lot of my cynicism comes from. The clean vocal trend lately has been particularly distressing to me. Knowing this, you can understand why I had issues with Projector.

Do you think Haven compares musically with Damage Done? If The Gallery was your favorite, do you think DD or Haven comes closer to that greatness?

Markgugs,

If you and Dreamlord agree so much on taste, then perhaps we should start a club!

As you stated, the Iron Maiden twin guitar sound of TJR is the entire reason I worship that album. That and the genius solos. Sadly on R2R, that magic is almost completely absent. When it is there, you have to wade through Ander's awful cleans and some thoroughly uninviting techno and keyboard interludes to find them.

My offer to Dreamlord goes for you as well, if you'd like to hear some R2R, just let me know.