In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

The new single sounds pretty much as I expected. To me, it sounds like it could have been taken right off of ASOP. I certainly don't see the Clayman comparisons people are throwing around. I don't dislike the song, but I don't sense that there is enough goin on to really give it a long shelf life. Kind of bland.

And the vocals and drums are very up front in the production. The guitars are buried at some points. I don't know, I've listened to the song about 20 times and nothig special really stands out to me.

And as someone above me said, their production since Clayman has been my biggest complaint about In Flames. I'd say it's time to switch things up a bit and not go for the muddy sound, but they've been sticking with this sound for nearly 10 years now.

well in terms of guitar work, and overall atmosphere of the songs so far, the tone is a bit darker, compared to ASOP, whereas the tone was lighter, with the guitar riffs and choruses. yeah the overall production is similar, but its only been one song, off of an album with 13 tracks in total. guess we'll find out as the weeks progress. but I haven't been dissapointed with the boys from in flames completely.... ASOP was my least favorite record, but it had it's moments.

pop rock? seriously? In Flames is fall out boy?

Ha, ha. Not that bad - yet. In two albums time they will be...:puke:

Its actually a fairly catchy tune but they clearly have an eye of the singles charts with this one. Its the most commercial sounding song they have ever done and I guess it is the next logical step for the band and something they have been threatening to do for a decade now.

Will be interesting to see where the label pitches this one - my guess, away from the metal scene that the band has been seperating itself from for some time now and more in the mainstream charts direction. But I don't see those poor mainstream music loving kids really getting into this. Not sure In Flames can win this one.

Ha, ha. Not that bad - yet. In two albums time they will be...:puke:

Its actually a fairly catchy tune but they clearly have an eye of the singles charts with this one. Its the most commercial sounding song they have ever done and I guess it is the next logical step for the band and something they have been threatening to do for a decade now.

Will be interesting to see where the label pitches this one - my guess, away from the metal scene that the band has been seperating itself from for some time now and more in the mainstream charts direction. But I don't see those poor mainstream music loving kids really getting into this. Not sure In Flames can win this one.

Haha, I don't quite agree with all you've said thus far. (Pop rock in two albums, NOT QUITE! :p) But I will agree that they are probably aiming for a wider audience now; But come on, you can't blame them for wanting to change it up after who the hell knows how long they've been playing, and really, they STILL sound like In Flames, if you really listen, you will hear it. The guitars are, unfortunately, way to far in the background, but aside from that this song is very good, the most mainstream of their songs, yes, but still good. I think you haters:)P) Just need to listen to it more(I have it at 300 counts in my iTunes.) At first I didn't like it that much either, but its a grower for sure.

In the end it's your own opinion that really matters. Otherwise we would have 7 billion people listening to In Flames. Our connection to their music is vastly different, that's the way it is.

To be honest i'm sick to death of ignorance in people today- i don't give a fuck what label you put on In Flames or what genre you want to shove them under, they make music and if you don't like it, leave the fuckin' forum.

To be honest if In Flames made a pop-rock song or a goddamn hip-hop song, i wouldn't say "This is pop-rock, this is shit". I'd judge it on whether it's a GOOD SONG.

C'mon guys & gals - put aside your fanboy love for everything In Flames for 5 seconds and look at things clearly.

Oh, i'm looking at things clearly alright- judging Deliver Us as something released in 2011, as opposed to comparing against everything IF have put out in the past makes sense doesn't it?

I'm actually very critical of In Flames myself (i was disappointed with the lightness of ASOP, i'm not a big fan of the oldest IF albums (TJR, Whoracle) at all, I hated RTR for a long time before i began to appreciate it), but Deliver Us is the strongest track i've heard by IF for a long while (albeit i like longer guitar solos, but this one makes up for it by having that little Colony/Clayman melody).

I can't see people's problem- just listen to music as music, not labelling things and dismissing them as poppy-sounding.

"...not a big fan of the oldest IF albums (TJR, Whoracle) at all.."

Blasphemy! ;)

This album is going to be good. They've found a new sound. Yes, I want the new TJR or Colony or Clayman, but not from IF as they are older and way past that stage. If they continue to produce quality music, no matter what genre, I will be satisfied.

Haha i've been blaspheming quite a bit when it concerns their old albums- it's just not my thing. Colony and Clayman are undeniable masterpieces in my eyes, Reroute and Soundtrack are immense modern, alt-metal albums and Come Clarity is pure gold.

I must say that i believe that In Flames, before they call it quits (god forbid!), will make another old-school album in the vein of their earlier works. It's just my gut instinct. I know and respect the fact that Anders and co have moved on and want to make some different music (fine by me, i'm addicted to Deliver Us), but i think it'll be natural if they make a true heavy melo-death album near the end of their careers. :)

I'm actually very critical of In Flames myself (i was disappointed with the lightness of ASOP, i'm not a big fan of the oldest IF albums (TJR, Whoracle) at all, I hated RTR for a long time before i began to appreciate it), but Deliver Us is the strongest track i've heard by IF for a long while (albeit i like longer guitar solos, but this one makes up for it by having that little Colony/Clayman melody).

I also am very critical of them, and they have so far never failed to impress. As for the older albums, for some people they require a bit of growing. As for Deliver Us being the strongest song, I don't entirely agree:oops:; its an excellent song, and I've been listening to it none stop for days now, but it isn't their strongest in a while, I don't know if you noticed, but the guitars are fairly faded, having the vocals and drums up front. It's a very strong song in the sense that it was composed very well, yes, but other wise I think they could have put the guitars a little more upfront. I find myself straining to really catch all of those beautiful details Bjorn put in, it just seems harder with this track then with most of the others. None the less, I LOVE what they've got going and I can't wait for the album. :Spin:

Lol this place turned into a shitstorm since yesterday...
Anyone who ISN'T a retard KNOWS that Deliver Us is not even CLOSE to ''commercial pop rock'', are you fucking kidding me Shadow King? I hope it was a bad attempt at trolling or an unfunny exaggeration.

About the Clayman thing, maybe you didn't hear it, but the melody right after the solo DOES sound like a typical Clayman melody (obviously slightly different since the production on the albums is nowhere the same, but the actual melody).

No one said the song sounded like something off of Clayman, but it does have some small references, harmonies and that melody I just described.
In Flames have NEVER denied their past, and have always had elements of the older music in their newer music, maybe you don't listen close enough.
Sadly, many people who prefer the old work just think like this: ''Man, this doesn't sound like the old stuff, this automatically sucks''. So they don't pay attention to the actual music and details, instead they are listening to the genre of the music. I'm sure that if many of these guys would stop comparing the music to the old stuff, they would grow to like it, at least like it a bit more.

And why are you pulling the extremely old ''fanboy'' card?
''Lol you like New In Flames? Fucking fanboy''. No actually, I just enjoy the music, it doesn't make me a fanboy the slightest bit. Disagreeing with you doesn't make you a fanboy.

And drawntoblack come on, In Flames are going for a modern alt rock production? Sigh...Do you honestly think they are even trying to go for a certain genre of production? What the hell is a ''modern alt rock production'' even? All the things you just said you couldn't hear well in the song, I can. Maybe you should try to pay more attention while listening to the song (no offense seriously).

It's so tiring to hear the constant hating and whining from people who doesn't like New In Flames. You don't like it? Well DON'T listen to it then, what could one possibly gain from throwing shit on IF? And people hoping that IF will return to the old sound? Come back to earth, please. You are only setting yourself up for a massive disappointment.

TJR came out 15 years ago. Are you the exact same person as you were 15 years ago? I highly fucking doubt that. So why do you expect a band to be? Early 20's to mid 30's, a lot of things happen between that time span. It's their band and they can do whatever they want, and if you don't like it you should just move along then. There is plenty of fish in the sea, and there are thousands of melodeath bands out there if that is what you are looking for.

Fanboy's? Yup, i hate Fanboy's and not because "''Lol you like New In Flames? Fucking fanboy''. The thing is, whenever someone says something bad, critical or whatever on the new in flames, he gets automaticly bashed because he dosen't worship every single sound they released. It's all like "shut the fu up and don't listen to it" - it's crazy. Also I hate when people are trying to excuse them, like they are going older, they are taking new directions, blah blah blah. There are bands, that are playing music in the same style but taking it in different places for many years and everybody is happy. Well, I admit - I'm mainly old IF fan(boy) but I still like their new stuff. RTR, STYE, CC are reallly solid albums but after that... something bad happend. ASOP is just bad. Seriously BAD. And this new song is not very promising but I still hope that the album itself will be good.

BTW : As much as I don't mind the music, I really miss Anders vocals... Just imagine how even more awesome would CC sound with these Growls like from Colony times... and ASOP might be actually good that way because it was mainly ruined by these whiny, weak vocals. Same thing with his cleans... he was awesome on colony, clayman even on RTR (dawn of the new day for example) but after that it seems that he lost it...

And why are you pulling the extremely old ''fanboy'' card?
''Lol you like New In Flames? Fucking fanboy''. No actually, I just enjoy the music, it doesn't make me a fanboy the slightest bit. Disagreeing with you doesn't make you a fanboy..

Its just hard for me to imagine someone liking TJR, Clayman, ASOP and Deliver Us equally at the same time. They are all so different.

And drawntoblack come on, In Flames are going for a modern alt rock production? Sigh...Do you honestly think they are even trying to go for a certain genre of production? What the hell is a ''modern alt rock production'' even? All the things you just said you couldn't hear well in the song, I can. Maybe you should try to pay more attention while listening to the song (no offense seriously).

YES. I am 100% positive they are trying to go for a certain style of production. Every album has softer and softer production, as they are appealing more and more to the mainstream music. Nothing wrong with that, I just happen not to like it (the new production) that much. After all, the guys in the band have families now, the band is their main job, and they cant really go around with "i dont give a fuck about wether will someone like it or buy it" attitude anymore. If you honestly think that IF didnt try to appeal to a bit wider audiance with the last two albums (at least production-wise), then I dont know what to say.

And as someone who is a musician, and knows a thing or two about recording/mixing techniques, I think I'm fairly competent to express my opinion about certain stuff. You honestly think that I didnt "try enough" to hear the new song of one of my favourite bands? Well, I dont. I didnt state "alt rock/metal way of production" as something generally labeled, which was obvious I think. The new single has guitars buried deep down in the mix, guitars that were always IF signature. Thats all there is to be said, and I'm pretty sure that you will agree with me.

It's so tiring to hear the constant hating and whining from people who doesn't like New In Flames. You don't like it? Well DON'T listen to it then, what could one possibly gain from throwing shit on IF? And people hoping that IF will return to the old sound? Come back to earth, please. You are only setting yourself up for a massive disappointment.

I hate when someone says this. This is a message board/forum, whatever will you call it. It's purpose is for us to exchange our opinions. I could just as well say the same, "if you like it, f*ck off, listen to it and dont share it with me". Do you see my point? :) I dont approve of trolls/bashers who will come just for the sake of saying bad things, but that is a completely different thing, I think you'll agree.

Well...ASOP is good actually.

Sorry, what did you say ?

Good? Let me quote some guy:

"Overproduced, flat sound with absolutely no power. Tiny, joke solos. Whiny, weak vocals. Poor lyrics. Ugly artwork. Yup, it's great. Only good things about this one are pretty decent songwriting and the acoustic parts. It's really surprising that this was released after such great album that CC was. "

If you're judging Deliver Us based upon the same values as songs from the pre-STYE era (I consider STYE the point where they made the 'big' break from their previous style) then yes, it's going to fail to make the grade.

But it's a different sound, hell, it might as well be a different band. I still like the new In Flames - I don't love their music like I did pre-STYE, but it's still mostly good stuff. To call it pop-rock is just vindictive, it's still metal. I guess the closest genre you could label it with would be melodic metal, but In Flames has never really been about genres or labels.

Deliver Us is a decent enough song based on post-RtR values. As the single it was always going to be geared towards a more mainstream audience - I'll wait to hear the entire album before judging their current musical direction. It's better than anything on ASOP imo, which I thought was easily the weakest album In Flames have ever made, pre or indeed post-RTR.

Its just hard for me to imagine someone liking TJR, Clayman, ASOP and Deliver Us equally at the same time. They are all so different.

I got into metal a few years ago, starting with Metallica. Not even a teenager at that age, so I just thought 'wow, anything that's not as heavy as Metallica sucks' and as a few months went by, I got into thrash metal and just disregarding ANYTHING that has melody.

When I reached around 13 I decided to move on a bit, and found Lamb of God, Devildriver and some Amon Amarth and decided that I like a bit of melody. But I didn't think that they were quite melodic bands at that time, because of the vocals. I just thought, 'they're heavy'.
Time went on and I finally got out of this poser phase and decided that if I like something, I'll listen to it regardless of genre.

So in my iTunes, I have deathcore bands such as All Shall Perish and Here Comes the Kraken, to melodic like In Flames, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity and Amon Amarth, hard rock bands like Biffy Clyro and Creed and some electronic stuff like Deadmau5 and some other metal bands like Machine Head, Five Finger Death Punch etc and classic heavy metal bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Even some (dare I say it) metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage and All That Remains. And Linkin Park. :rolleyes:

I know, this is a huge and probably pointless post but what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't really matter if something like Dead Eternity and Deliver Us are completely different songs. They both sound good to me and I like both of these songs.
Sure, I accept the fact that some stay exclusive to their older stuff, but I don't believe that In Flames have gone for a sound for a certain audience, just purely that they have developed a new sound that gradually changed over the years.

To me Deliver Us still has this In Flames feel to it. In Flames has a very, very unique sound in my opinion and that's what I like about them.

I don't really know why I've posted this lol but maybe I'm saying you should develop a wider taste of music because I think In Flames changed for the better and that all their albums probably appeal to most In Flames fans (not talking about the ones who only listen to Take This Life and complain about the screams in it :bah:)

YES. I am 100% positive they are trying to go for a certain style of production. Every album has softer and softer production, as they are appealing more and more to the mainstream music. Nothing wrong with that, I just happen not to like it (the new production) that much. After all, the guys in the band have families now, the band is their main job, and they cant really go around with "i dont give a fuck about wether will someone like it or buy it" attitude anymore. If you honestly think that IF didnt try to appeal to a bit wider audiance with the last two albums (at least production-wise), then I dont know what to say.

And as someone who is a musician, and knows a thing or two about recording/mixing techniques, I think I'm fairly competent to express my opinion about certain stuff. You honestly think that I didnt "try enough" to hear the new song of one of my favourite bands? Well, I dont. I didnt state "alt rock/metal way of production" as something generally labeled, which was obvious I think. The new single has guitars buried deep down in the mix, guitars that were always IF signature. Thats all there is to be said, and I'm pretty sure that you will agree with me.

I hate when someone says this. This is a message board/forum, whatever will you call it. It's purpose is for us to exchange our opinions. I could just as well say the same, "if you like it, f*ck off, listen to it and dont share it with me". Do you see my point? :) I dont approve of trolls/bashers who will come just for the sake of saying bad things, but that is a completely different thing, I think you'll agree.
Of course a forum is used to share opinions and discuss things. On the other hand, when you post your opinions, and try to state them as facts, it's just retarded.

And 90% of those who don't like the newer material, they don't take the ''constructive criticism'' route, the just straight out bash the band, and what is there to discuss if someone just comes by and posts something like ''RIP IN FLAMES 1990-2000'' or something similar?
I think messages such as ''OMG THIS IS THE BEST SONG EVARR IN FLAMES WE TRUST'' is as worse as the bash messages. They contribute zero to a discussion. And really, if you don't like something, then you just skip it, why waste time on it? I fucking hate Justin Bieber, but do I spend time posting comments on why I think he sucks on forums? No. And it also leads to nowhere. A hypothetical situation: You come in to this forum and you don't like IF's new album, and I do. Doesn't matter how much we discuss, it's not like anyone of us is going to change our opinions, it's just a waste of time.
I say, spend time on the things you like, not the things you dislike.

And yes of course there is bands who have played the same style over the years despite growing older, getting a family and such. But me personally, I find those bands mostly boring. Like Amon Amarth, great fucking band, but do I listen to all albums? No. It feels like, if I've listened to The Avenger I've heard The Crusher as well. And imo, bands who just play the same style without experimenting or anything, it does not only get stale, it's kind of taking it really safe and riding the moneytrain to the bank.

But of course there is bands who just play the same music and love it. But I do prefer bands like IF, and actually, they really DO not give a fuck what people except the ones in the band thinks of their music. The music is always very distinctive and you still know it's In Flames whatever album they release, but they always try new things and new approaches on every album, and it's what I would call not taking it safe. Sure, they might lose fans, but they don't care because they are doing what they love. Should they keep writing the same style of music, that they prefer not too, just to please fans? Then THAT'S selling out. If they would go back to their old style, THAT would be selling out, because so many people are screaming for them to do it.

I don't really believe all this sellout talk, it wouldn't work for a band touring as much as In Flames if they wouldn't love to perform their music. You simply can't go and play so many shows a year if you don't like the songs you are playing.

And I hope you know that when IF released Whoracle, there was the same type of whining as there is to day. TJR transition to Whoracle is big, same with Whoracle > Colony transition. It's not like the old albums sound the same either, and there is distinctive changes in the vocal department as well.
If you honestly think IF is writing their music to appeal to more people and not for the love of music, then I feel sad for you.

Wow, this place comes to life only when Old Flames vs New Flames discussion begins.

Krofius, didn't you say there is a new episode coming out today for JH members? Give us some insider info. ;)

And I hope you know that when IF released Whoracle, there was the same type of whining as there is to day. TJR transition to Whoracle is big, same with Whoracle > Colony transition. It's not like the old albums sound the same either, and there is distinctive changes in the vocal department as well.
If you honestly think IF is writing their music to appeal to more people and not for the love of music, then I feel sad for you.

I actually remember people bashing Colony and Clayman for "selling out" and "being mainstream", haha :D and fuck, when RTR leaked the In Flames community EXPLODED. I remember some guy messaging me on AIM practically in tears, saying he listened to 30 seconds of track 1 and snapped the CD in half :D

Ahh, the more things change the more they stay the same :D

I listened to the single and I love it. I know a lot of people are upset with the direction theyre going but I couldn't be happier.