In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

Where was this show you were on? And yeah I know they played Moonshield during whole 2006, fucking awesome. I hope they play Food For The Gods soon again, tired of The Hive :D

I saw them 3 times on their UK tour in 06, they only played WWTM at one show... Barrowlands in Scotland maybe. They definitely didn't play it in London. I can remember being disappointed.

@cellander: yeah, one of the staff member had a promo because he write for a French webzine aside and had to do the interview with Björn.
I also work for another webzine and should receive a second promo soon.

About The Resistance:
Here is the magazine page: http://www.mediafire.com/?sggchdmbs7qaxnd

And a rough translation:
"It's time to play the guitar instead of the computer, tells Jesper Strömblad. The diehard WoW fan is still curious about the latest expansion "Cataclysm", but the account is frozen until further notice. The game eats up a lot of time that would be placed on songwriting, as guitarist writes, he has now just massive adrenaline kicks in "Cod: MW" on night.

I stick to the brain dead pangpang now, he says. But WoW has been a lifesaver for many tragic days on tour.

I have a few guys, so I might begin this fall.
If no new project The Resistance starts eating up all the available playing time. The quintet is still in its development phase, but the setting feels stable: Marco Aro (Facedown, ex-The Haunted) on vocals, Glenn Ljungström (Dimension Zero, ex-In Flames) on guitar, Alex Losback Holstad (Despite, ex-Decameron, Cardinal Sin) on bass and Christofer Barkensjö (Carnal Forge, Kaamos, Face Down, ex-Repugnant ) on drums.

Thanks to modern technology, we sit in different places and put together riffs and ideas for songs, explains the guitarist. A demo with two or three songs to be up on Myspace soon. Musikalist we want to get away from the current In Flames sound. Instead, we still stuck to what we listened to when the band started. We have always loved the hardcore scene: simple but explosive music, as Hatebreed, Madball and Carnivore.

An important prerequisite for the The Resistance is that everyone involved has the same ambition: no one wants to redo its twenties and ride a van to Czech Republic for seventeen hours with a crate of beer as payment.

Tour six or seven months a year is nothing I'd jump in again. We're releasing an album and doing some festival gigs for the fun of it. The others have jobs and children to think about, but it's precisely why they are extra excited. Marco has not been active since Face Down released their latest album in 2005. We have heard of him thanks to "Call Of Duty". He is a great guy with a hell of a voice, by far the best singer in The Haunted. Glenn has been known how to scratch fingers for ten years, and as he sputters out the riffs he is as phenomenal as usual. I remain a partner in IF Studios, so we have every opportunity to make good demos and mix there.

Personally, Jesper sat at home and "had a gap year" in anticipation of creating the desire to come back. Now he is stronger than ever. Reactions on the network has not been long in coming, although no one outside the band heard a single note. Besides that two more original members from In Flames are involved in The Resistance than In Fames themselves.

The really hardcore fans must think it's great that Glenn and I play in the same band since we formed In Flames. Then it's almost scary how long we have been doing. Today's In Flames' fans were hardly born when we started playing and think "Lunar Strain".

If anyone is wondering - yes, Jesper second group, melodic death metal inferno Dimension Zero, still exists. Though the waiting for a new album may take up a good while.

There are at least four to five years since the last album and it is not an issue at this time because Joakim (Gothberg, vocals, ex-IF, Marduk) has Nifters and Daniel (Antonsson, guitar, ex-Soilwork) is busy with Dark Tranquillity. We continue to exist as a band, but it's the world's laziest."

How can someone get tired of The Hive? :yell:

@CyberInflames, cant wait for the translation :D

Edit: Awesome. So I guess that The Resistance will be quite different when compared to Dimension Zero. I just hope that it doesnt have too much hardcore influences :) Cant wait for that demo to be published.

Thanks again for your effort with the translation dude :)

Btw on the club citta bootleg it's Niclas Engelin playing rhytm. He was actually involved with In Flames early on, it's easy to forget.

@CyberInflames, looking forward to your track by track guide!

...what we listened to when the band started. We have always loved the hardcore scene: simple but explosive music, as Hatebreed, Madball and Carnivore.

This doesn't sound good...

I was hoping for TJR meets ATG. :)

From that interview posted on Mysweetforum... I really want to hear "A new dawn". And again, disappointed because "The Jester's door" isn't an acoustic instrumental track.

This doesn't sound good...

I was hoping for TJR meets ATG. :)

From that interview posted on Mysweetforum... I really want to hear "A new dawn". And again, disappointed because "The Jester's door" isn't an acoustic instrumental track.
Isn't it a instrumental track just that Anders speaks as well?
The impression I get of the song is that it's like the verses in Jester Script Transfigured, but obviously different.

The translation was good enough so there isn't really anything I'll have to correct...But there is a HUGE In Flames interview in the magazine as well, and there is lots of things about Jespers departure, what led to it, background etc, Jesper explaining himself + the IF members at the same time which is the most interesting part IMO (except the great news that there is some demos coming up from The Resistance soon).

EDIT: Visited the site and read the interview with Björn, he apparently contributed some lyrics to the new album, AWESOME!

Well, I sounds like TJD is just something Anders conjured but couldn't put in "real" song. I guess it will have some samples and keys in the background. Maybe something like a spoken TCP?

RTR - totally average. Mishmash of fourteen 3 minute songs.

"Please heal me, I can't sleep
Thought I was unbreakable, but this is killing me"

Now that's a bit emo. ;)

Satellites and Astronauts on the other hand is a fantastic song. Great atmosphere, lyrics and sweetest solo ever!

RTR - totally average. Mishmash of fourteen 3 minute songs.

A bit harsh, there are some great songs on RTR... the production buries a lot of great melodies in the mix though. Wayyy too muddy. I personally think System, Trigger, Cloud Connected, Minus, Dark Signs and Black & White are really good songs - as far as newer In Flames go, anyhow. There aren't any songs on R2R that I hate, whereas for every album after I can say there is at least one song I despise (STYE: Like You Better Dead and/or Bottled, CC: Scream, ASOP: take your pick).

RTR was the first album in the evolution of the new In Flames but also the last to hold a good abundance of the old magic - you just have to look a lot harder to find it.

"Please heal me, I can't sleep
Thought I was unbreakable, but this is killing me"

Now that's a bit emo. ;)

In my opinion Disconnected has the worst line in any In Flames song it sounds so cheesy:
"I feel like shit
But atleast I feel something"

Now, in SOAPF:
"Ghosts of a concrete world
Genetic codes of a dying breed"

SOAPF really reminds me of the older stuff in terms of lyrics.
It has a bit of an apocalyptic feel to it.

A bit harsh, there are some great songs on RTR... the production buries a lot of great melodies in the mix though. Wayyy too muddy. I personally think System, Trigger, Cloud Connected, Minus, Dark Signs and Black & White are really good songs - as far as newer In Flames go, anyhow. There aren't any songs on R2R that I hate, whereas for every album after I can say there is at least one song I despise (STYE: Like You Better Dead and/or Bottled, CC: Scream, ASOP: take your pick).

RTR was the first album in the evolution of the new In Flames but also the last to hold a good abundance of the old magic - you just have to look a lot harder to find it.

Not harsh at all. I respect their need to do something new. RTR is by no means a bad album. It just so confusing and...unfinished. Obviously a lot of new ideas...some good, some bad. I don't dislike the songs, but they are not clicking with my idea of really good music. If RTR was released by an unknown band, I would listen to it once or twice, give it a solid 6-7/10 and probably forget it.

Like you, I hate Bottled (and much of STYE - maybe because of production) and Scream. RTR is just OK. Don't hate it, don't love it.

I like RTR, although Come Clarity is my favourite post Clayman release so far. I find STYE quite boring, because with this album In Flames lost the one thing that has always been a constant with their music; interesting guitar melodies/solos. Most of STYE involves guitar riffs with synths. It has a few decent songs (F(r)iend, My Sweet Shadow, Superhero, Dial 595) but its not an album I can sit through very often, whereas RTR is, and dont get me started on the iffy production quality. From what ive heard SOAPF has the best production quality since Clayman.

Yeah, RTR does sound positive, but it's not the only one. I think Colony is quite positive album. Happy melodies everywhere. Just take a look at instrumentals PAV and MMG.

Whoracle and STYE are darkest, while Claymen is very mature and depressive.