In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

To be honest I'm mostly a fan of the older stuff...but wow A New Dawn. Don't need to say anything more.

Those guys were listening to Iron Maiden, Slayer, Deep Purple, early death metal etc.etc. And they played really good music. How did they end up sounding like a American teenage nu metal band? It is the opposite philosophy of music. You don't spend your life doing epic metal/rock songs and then suddenly become a huge fan of 3 minute MTV "hits".

Yeah, you're getting older and stuff. I don't expect them to do TJR over and over again. I guess many older fans can digest Dawn of a new day much, much easier then Like you better dead of The Mirror's truth. The change is not a problem. (at least not with the majority of fans), but that commercial-radio friendly-instant-shallow song are.

Anyway, SOAPF is going strong, for the moment at least.

- Deliver Us - nothing groundbreaking but still good for promotional song
- SOAPF - really good song
- A New Dawn - masterpiece

I can't stress you guys enough to stop looking for old In Flames in their new music. It's not going to fucking happen. There might be some music that can relate melodicly with or the complexity of the songs with, but holy shit it's been like 10 years, fucking find something new.

In the end though, I know there are people here because they like Old In Flames so they want to talk about it.

A New Dawn was way over my expectations. This is such a giant step up from ASOP. Perhaps it's because they've had much more time to record this album or something.

Personally I think it's because Jesper left causing the band to think more of what they're doing.

In the studio diary, Bjorn himself said that he wanted the rest of the band's input more than ever, thus creating something amazing like A New Dawn.

I don't like making sweeping statements so soon after a new song comes out, because invariably its "newness" causes a fair overestimation... but this actually might be the best song they've released since 2002. I'd say their last "great" song was Minus, which I thought was a very powerful song.

STYE can be discounted entirely. I'd say this one is better than Dead End & Vanishing Light, my favs off CC, just because it's so well thought-out and isn't as straightforward as the songs off CC. Again, ASOP can be written off... so to be fair it hasn't got much competition :D

Yeah I have to say it, I kinda underestimated Bjorn. His composing skills are much better than I expected.
Sure, it sounds different, and it doest have that typical Jesper's signature, but its fairly good anyway. I just wish that the album would have some proper riffs, since its mostly vocals driving the show, with an occasional lead, from what we heard so far.

I won't rush and say that this is the best song that IF wrote since >name fav IF album<, since I had similar feeling with a lot of ASOP songs when I've just heard them, only to be completely dissapointed with the album after two months. We will see :)

I won't rush and say that this is the best song that IF wrote since >name fav IF album<, since I had similar feeling with a lot of ASOP songs when I've just heard them, only to be completely dissapointed with the album after two months. We will see :)

Yeah, same here :D but on the other hand, even looking at it objectively... the riffs are fantastic, the vocals are the best Anders has produced in quite some time and the violins in this track are beautiful... I think if I'd given the same kind of analysis to the ASOP songs I was proclaiming to be great I probably would have realised they wouldn't have much replay value.

Now, this song is good material for epic music video. Just imagine Sun rising over some wasteland while Anders screams with conviction: "And I can('t) wait to see the Sun rise again, It's moments like this..."

@DE4life

How do you mean no competition? Scream? Bottled? Disconnected? :D

@drawntoblack

SOAPF and A New Dawn have proper riffs. I quite like the one that kicks in after intro melody in A New Dawn.

clay-man, where did you get that pic of anders mikael bjorn all together? pretty cool pic, lol

I saw it a few times on google images or something so I saved it before it got forgotten forever, because honestly it's one of the coolest melodeath photos I've ever seen.

@DE4life

How do you mean no competition? Scream? Bottled? Disconnected? :D

You know, I actually listened to Bottled again last night. I'd been ripping on it for the past couple of days and thought, 'maybe it isn't as bad as I thought'. Turns out I was right ... it was worse. Their thought process must have gone something like 'let's make the most boring, turgid, catatrophic mish-mash of noise ever, and call it a song'. Funnily enough it actually sounds OK live... it's just an utter disaster on CD.

Disconnected isn't actually an awful song.... it's just the fucking lyrics.

I pretend Scream doesn't exist.

I think its solid, but nothing too special. It could easily pass in hard/modern rock song. I'd personally like something slightly faster and heavier.
When it comes to riffs, ASOP and what we heard of SOAPF have plenty of modern sound to it. Where RTR to CC all still had bunch of straight melodeath riffs which were still heavy enough.

@DE4life, I personally find Disconnected to have the best riffs on the whole ASOP.

You Scream...I Scream...We Scream...for ice cream! :D

@DE4life, I personally find Disconnected to have the best riffs on the whole ASOP.

Yeah, the song itself is actually not bad at all. If the lyrics weren't so pathetic I might even like it. I just can't listen to "I feel like shit, but at least I feel something" without thinking 'what a dick'.

You Scream...I Scream...We Scream...for ice cream! :D

Fucking Anders :D the man is a definite troll.