In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

It is sad that Jesper had to leave, but I try to look at the possibilities the future holds. I love how In Flames keeps evolving/differing their sound. But now that Jesper is out and starting (?) this new band, now there is more music. So I am looking forward to The Resistance. I look at it like the Metallica/Mustaine situation, where even though Mustaine wasn't recorded on any of their albums, if he wasn't kicked out, there wouldn't be Megadeth, and therefore there would be less music. I'm trying to have the same mindset with the Dream Theater situation, the only difference being Mike Portnoy pretty much was Dream Theater. But still, they are making a new album and I'm excited to see what Portnoy comes up with for his future music career. So I like that a lot of times, more great music comes out.

It is sad that Jesper had to leave, but I try to look at the possibilities the future holds. I love how In Flames keeps evolving/differing their sound. But now that Jesper is out and starting (?) this new band, now there is more music. So I am looking forward to The Resistance. I look at it like the Metallica/Mustaine situation, where even though Mustaine wasn't recorded on any of their albums, if he wasn't kicked out, there wouldn't be Megadeth, and therefore there would be less music. I'm trying to have the same mindset with the Dream Theater situation, the only difference being Mike Portnoy pretty much was Dream Theater. But still, they are making a new album and I'm excited to see what Portnoy comes up with for his future music career. So I like that a lot of times, more great music comes out.

Great point! :)

My opinion is that Anders is trying to "clean up" the comments. I think he does mean that Jesper isn't interested in what they play anymore. I believe he has not been into it for a really long time. Look at Dimension Zero and look at his upcoming project -- I know we haven't heard The Resistance yet, but I would bet a lot that you will hear something very, very similar to old In Flames (which is going to be awesome). Maybe I'm off base, but it's what I see. What I can say is that I've seen In Flames 10+ times dating back to 1999. There's a big shift in Jesper's attitude in that time. For instance, back in '99 and early 2002 (before RTR came out), Jesper was noticeably different on stage. In late 2002 (after RTR), I saw them and it had already started. By '06, Jesper looked miserable on stage for the most part. I say "for the most part" because every time they played an old song, he lit up. I was lucky enough to catch them in '06 when they played Worlds Within the Margin and Graveland. Jesper actually looked happy playing those songs. He did not look happy playing The Quiet Place.

Like I said, I may be off, but it's just what I've seen and noticed.

I'm not saying that is the case with In Flames, as I don't know, but this stuff STR is talking about happens a lot. Singer do tend to "take over" the band, because they write the lyrics and tend to adjust musical direction to their moods and ideas.

That's the thing I don't like with new In Flames: vocals took over the show, and guitars are in the background chugging whatever boring riff just to give vocalist a background. Music then becomes a race to the first catchy chorus - then repeat. Though I must say, SOAPF does sound a lot better.

Jesper is now drunk all the time, and not happy at all. Maybe if he had his band as a place where he could translate his frustrations into some meaningful music instead of doing emo stuff, constantly touring and signing skateboards and limited edition special offer boxsets, thing would be different. Maybe not.

We can't know what really happened. I just hope SOAPF will be a good album and The Resistance releasing some quality old school stuff.

There's this guy on youtube (comment on the latest SOAPF episode) that claims that the album is leaked and that he listened to it:
"The album is leaked already. Google : Sounds of a playground fading mediafire. You'll find it. I personnally didn't like it at all, but maybe new fans will."

Anyone know if there's something going on?

There's this guy on youtube (comment on the latest SOAPF episode) that claims that the album is leaked and that he listened to it:
"The album is leaked already. Google : Sounds of a playground fading mediafire. You'll find it. I personnally didn't like it at all, but maybe new fans will."

Anyone know if there's something going on?

Yeah it have leaked, just downloaded it and listening now.

I don't know. Bu for what i'm hearing i'm amazed. That's the way how to make something new with some old and fresh influences! :) SOAPF intro somehow reminds me metallica :D

yeah In Flames - Sounds Of A Playground Fading (2011) by 4lv4r0.RAR. is fake, its floating over the net for a while... That guy on YT is just trolling

My opinion is that Anders is trying to "clean up" the comments. I think he does mean that Jesper isn't interested in what they play anymore. I believe he has not been into it for a really long time. Look at Dimension Zero and look at his upcoming project -- I know we haven't heard The Resistance yet, but I would bet a lot that you will hear something very, very similar to old In Flames (which is going to be awesome). Maybe I'm off base, but it's what I see. What I can say is that I've seen In Flames 10+ times dating back to 1999. There's a big shift in Jesper's attitude in that time. For instance, back in '99 and early 2002 (before RTR came out), Jesper was noticeably different on stage. In late 2002 (after RTR), I saw them and it had already started. By '06, Jesper looked miserable on stage for the most part. I say "for the most part" because every time they played an old song, he lit up. I was lucky enough to catch them in '06 when they played Worlds Within the Margin and Graveland. Jesper actually looked happy playing those songs. He did not look happy playing The Quiet Place.

Like I said, I may be off, but it's just what I've seen and noticed.
In 2002 Jesper had a leave of absence for a short while as well due to alcohol related problems coming from, probably personal problems. He seems to have some of them actually. He's always been very shy and not really an outgoing person as well.

But I can tell you one thing, he did not leave due to musical differences, nor did he not like the music they were creating/playing. Remember he was also the main songwriter on all albums.

I also actually talked to one of Jesper's childhood friends a couple months back on Facebook, and he denied Jesper left due to IF's musical progression.
Also, DZ is vastly different than IF's music. So is Passenger, if you get my point =) Sideprojects to vent other feelings that doesn't fit within the frames of IF.

I actually quite like the Passenger album, whereas I hate STYE, so not sure about that xdrifterx. Alternatively it could be that I had different expectations for STYE as it is an In Flames album, whereas Passenger being an Anders side project I was expecting something less In-Flamesish. if that makes any sense :D anyway, point is I quite like Passenger. In Reverse, Circles, Clowns, Just the Same, In My Head, I Die Slowly ... all excellent songs, and IMO Passenger is the best Anders has sounded insofar as cleans are concerned.