In Flames -Sounds of A Playground Fading (Upcoming 10th album)

So... What album since Clayman did In Flames make that featured a very melodic piece? I really can't think of any.

Come Clarity?

This is pretty melodic imo. CC is the most old IF influenced album they made since Clayman. I'm not saying it sounds like old IF, some melodies are still deep in the mix, but you cant argue that it's their most melodic and guitar oriented post-2000 album.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that those songs have melodic elements, I actually worded myself quite badly in the previous post. Most of In Flames' songs have a good melodic feel to it.

But when I listen to A New Dawn's interlude, I just feel that it's got a better old In Flames' feel to it. It reminds me of Zombie Inc, but with a modernised sound that they've created.

I just don't feel that anything since Clayman can compare to A New Dawn. Maybe because it's a new song and I'm getting excited but yeah...

Perhaps it's not Clayman-ish or whatever, but I just believe that they're having another change in their music (as IF does for every album) but perhaps some inspiration from their older material.

That's what I said. It seems like they are inspired (I liked the way you used this word) by their past more than usual while still progressing their sound into something new. And I never say one album seems Clayman-ish or whatever, not that you're saying I do. I've always heard core elements in every In Flames album that link them all together.

Agreed with the above posters.
The intro to A New Dawn seriously reminds me of the intro to Embody The Invisible actually.

EDIT: Found another review:
http://translate.google.com/transla...//www.pavillon666.fr/chronique-metal-6060.php

Not translated for people that can read French:
http://www.pavillon666.fr/chronique-metal-6060.php

True! I would say a mix between "Embody the Invisible" and the intro to "I'm the Highway", actually, but I definitely agree with people's opinions that the song has old-school elements to it. It conjures up majestic imagery the same way those older albums did.

Thanks for the review! Good to see a perspective from a reviewer who apparently liked ASOP, as I did. I hope In Flames sees all the positive press "A New Dawn" is getting, and hopefully they'll do something with it (make it a live staple, music video, etc.).

I stopped reading that review after "That's four years after the very good "A Sense Of Purpose" :rofl:

...and I must say that A New Dawn is seriously overpraised. Don't get me wrong I love that intro melody... but thats it. The violins and harsh vocals are awesome too, but overall it's not so good as everybody says. Chorus are nothing special really, pretty average and the solo is just criminally short. Good song but not such a masterpiece as people claim it to be.

It's down to opinion really.

I think the chorus is very good. In the background to the vocals theres this clean layer of vocals which to me is genius in the way it's done.

I still can't fault that melodic interlude. The violins are a nice touch but I think Bjorn did exceptionally well with the guitar.

But it's possible that I'm thinking too much of this song just because it's new... But for the time being I still think it's IF's best song for quite a while.

Agreed with the above posters.
The intro to A New Dawn seriously reminds me of the intro to Embody The Invisible actually.

EDIT: Found another review:
http://translate.google.com/transla...//www.pavillon666.fr/chronique-metal-6060.php

Not translated for people that can read French:
http://www.pavillon666.fr/chronique-metal-6060.php

Pavillon666 isn't really an exemple of objectiveness and professionalism in the reviews. What I read in that review is a lack of analysis of the album and a reviewer who does not really know the band and write more useless sentences than real infos about the new record.

I certainly don't think Come Clarity was a 'return to roots' as many people were saying when it was released. Yeah it was much heavier, faster and technical than anything they'd done since Clayman, but it had next to none of those leading melodies (some kind person showed off the melodic bits of the album in Reflect the Storm and the wonderful Vanishing Light).

Some people then went on to say ASOP was a return to roots when they heard Bjorn and Jesper 'duelling'. But lets face it- ASOP standing next to an album like Whoracle? There is no connection, music-wise, at all!

Then i hear the intro riff of SOAPF and, as many have been saying, the interlude and vocals of A New Dawn- that brings back the feel of the 'old-school' riffs. I'm not sure i'd like to hear the Fredman production again though- things have moved on and it's now 2011. I'm all for super-clean production :D Just my preference!

For me it's hilarious how after every new album people say it sounds like clayman in some parts or whatever, always comparing the new stuff to clayman, claymanish that, claymanish this... people were saying that around CC, ASOP and now SOAPF... it's funny :))

Quote for TRUTH!

I donno, the production on Colony and Clayman were fucking flawless.

Yeah I agree with this. Never since Clayman have the band sounded as heavy. And the production on Colony gave an atmosphere that they've never even been close to touch upon since.

For me it's hilarious how after every new album people say it sounds like clayman in some parts or whatever, always comparing the new stuff to clayman, claymanish that, claymanish this... people were saying that around CC, ASOP and now SOAPF... it's funny :))

This is very true, but in a sense, it's honestly not very similar at all, maybe a little bit, but you couldn't put that shit on the Clayman album without hearing the difference.

It's really more of a psychological bait and lure for the old fans. In the end, just think of the music as it's own music, not another "clayman" or whatever album you like the best type of song. Just hope In Flames venture in a direction that will please you, but if you're one of those pretentious death metal elitist hipsters waiting for them to do another jester race, then you should piss right the fuck off (to anyone that is).

Let me say I love the entire discography before I say this next part...

What I find funny is when people who say they need to sound like their older material, make references to something new sounding like Clayman and it's good to hear. When Clayman was sort of the start of the progression towards their newer sound.

a funny fact (in my opinion) is that Anders really never did his Whoracle vocals live, and possibly not even his Jester Race one's.

Whoracle just sounds demonic, and I have yet to find a live show where he showcases them primarily. I keep finding vocals in old shows akin to Colony/Clayman.

What I find funny is when people who say they need to sound like their older material, make references to something new sounding like Clayman and it's good to hear. When Clayman was sort of the start of the progression towards their newer sound.

That is funny.

a funny fact (in my opinion) is that Anders really never did his Whoracle vocals live, and possibly not even his Jester Race one's.

Whoracle just sounds demonic, and I have yet to find a live show where he showcases them primarily. I keep finding vocals in old shows akin to Colony/Clayman.

The live set from Koln in 1996 actually sounds like his Jester Race vocals. Maybe leaning a tad more towards Ceremonial Oath style, but still very close nonetheless.

This. Clayman is the point when they started using chugga chugga riffs and kinda preoriented their style slightly more towards USA bands. The only reason why people mostly dont notice this is because the difference between Colony and Clayman is not as big as the difference between the Clayman and R2R.

Just listen to the Pinball Map. Typical new-style In Flames song :)

I don't get it.

I don't believe Clayman was a start of anything.

Every single In Flames' album is different. Are you telling me that Colony sounds like Whoracle? Or Whoracle sounds like The Jester Race? They have similarities when it comes melodic riffs but that's pretty much it.

I just believe that from R2R, they've lost that sense of melodic and developed a new one.
Songs like Cloud Connected have a different 'feel' to it, rather than something like Brush the Dust Away.